God help me, I'm starving

Options
Like, all the time. MFP has me eating 1200 calories, meanwhile all the running around I do at work has me burning up to 550 calories a day (I logged 9.5 miles yesterday on the pedometer between walking at work and jogging last night).
Should I be eating some of these exercise calories? Or will I eventually get used to the reduced calories I eat? Or what?

Replies

• run2bslim
    Options
    I would encourage you to eat at least some of your exercise calories. If you read other posts about similar subjects it seems like most people eat at least half of their exercise calories. I don't know about you, but when I feel that I'm starving all of the time it's hard to stick to a plan. It's too easy to become discouraged if you feel that you are always doomed to be hungry. Good luck!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Of course you should. Also, I'd ask how much you are trying to lose in a week? You will have a struggle complying of your goal is too agressive and it sounds like it is a 1200 calories per day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    So, I'm confused, your diary says your goal is 1700 but you are trying to eat 1200?? Why? This will be counter productive.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Say what!? Maybe I don't understand this whole diary thing.... Today shows me a goal of 1200 calories. If I look at yesterday's entry, here's what I see:

Totals: 1212
    Your Daily Goal: 1743
    Remaining: 531

But yesterday's exercise was 543 calories. So, apparently it added my day's exercise calories back to my goal... which could cause me to eat them. Yes?
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    YES! Eat them!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you are sticking to 1200 and exercising on top of that and you're not feeling good and it makes you want to quit, you should definitely eat some exercise calories back.

If you're worried about eating them back, start with eating half back for a week, see if you feel better.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories! They are fuel!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Charliesuccess
    Charliesuccess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    EAT THEM :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Like, all the time. MFP has me eating 1200 calories, meanwhile all the running around I do at work has me burning up to 550 calories a day (I logged 9.5 miles yesterday on the pedometer between walking at work and jogging last night).
    Should I be eating some of these exercise calories? Or will I eventually get used to the reduced calories I eat? Or what?

No, you shouldn't eat them as exercise calories, but you should be eating more.

What you should do it change you weekly weight loss to a more appropriate number for the amount you have to lose and to change your activity level based on how much you move at work. So if you move as much as this normally I would set my activity level to light active or active (some of your 550 burned would already be accounted for in your MFP allowance).

here is a guide for setting weekly wight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You might want to also go in and change your program. Maybe you're listed as "sedentary" but as you say, you move around a lot. Let the program account for that.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

If you feel like you're starving, eat some or all those exercise calories! Your deficit is built in. You can eat exercise calories and lose.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OMG, someone get this girl a burrito. Sweetpea, don't let yourself feel like you're starving. EVER. I started on MFP at 1200 calories. And within a month, I had skyrocketed in terms of my anxiety levels, my b!tchiness, and all-around misery. Now I'm reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women, I'm eating 1700 calories a day, and I'm a much nicer person and am STILL SEEING RESULTS. There's a ton of back-and-forth on MFP about this, but I will NEVER do a 1200 calorie diet again. I've learned that it puts my body into starvation mode and I stall in terms of progress and I come dangerously close to committing homicide on my husband. Eat your exercise calories!
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding 200-300 calories to your daily limit for the first month or so, at least. Since you're exercising, you probably need more calories. I have read some go up to 1700 per day. It's the content and quality of what you are eating that's important. Eat clean and healthy, whole foods as much as possible. Fruits and veggies, lean proteins.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    "God help me, I'm starving"

I had no idea God was a member of MFP!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Try eating half back, if your still hungry eat more. 1200 is incredibly low. I can't do 1200! You could change your weight loss goal to -1.5lb or half a lb less than your set at. This will give you 250 cals extra a day and give you a better quality of life. Means you have the extra cals even on days you don't work out, and days where you do you don't have to eat all your exercise calories! X
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    eat!!! Yes you need to eat back your exercise cals

You may even consider upping your cals....
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat your exercise calories! Especially if you're hungry!
  • cheesenbrats
    Options
    I would eat some of the exercise calories. Don't let the hunger monkeys get to you. You set a goal to lose X pounds per week. Those excercise calories add to what you can eat and still be within that goal range. Look towards the long term and you will do great!!