Calories Burned Difference

Options
Has anyone else noticed a significant difference in the calories burned as listed through MFP and on the exercise machines? I am concerned because it is quite a difference. I have begun decreasing the number of minutes with MFP so the calores burned reflects the same on the machine. Just thought I would ask...

Replies

• aejohnson7
    aejohnson7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I noticed this too. MFP says I burned WAY more than my elliptical tells me I burned. I have no idea which is more accurate....
  • bethlikesbikes
    Options
    Exercise machines aren't necessarily very accurate either. If you want a more realistic number, wear a heart rate monitor. This will, at least, get you closer to a realistic number.
  • Missypickles86
    Missypickles86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always go with the lowest, usually just add the machine numbers. I'm loosing, so they're close enough for me - I'd rather spend that $50+ on some nice fresh veggies instead of another thing in the gym bag.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I may be mistaken, but I believe MFP obtains its calorie values by averaging the information entered by everyone who does that exercise. If it just uses numbers entered by users to come up with an average calories per minute for that activity, it is likely to be a bit high due to mis-calibrated HRM's worn by some users, differences in fitness levels, and body weight.

Eg.
    George has his HRM set For 4 days of activity per week, which he is now doing. But the HRM doesn't know that he is a reformed couch potato, and those high heart rates are more a reflection of his need for conditioning rather than intensity. It reports a higher calorie burn than is accurate. He enters 550 calories burned for an hour of hiking into MFP.

Martha enters a calorie burn for hiking with her BodyMedia Fit, or correctly set HRM.

Few people underestimate their calorie burn.

The average is skewed upwards by George's high value, causing MFP to give somewhat high results for any activity.

I do not know if this is how MFP figures the calorie burn for all exercises, but it is how it works with custom exercises I have entered myself. It seems to be averaging my entries over time. As for the HRM, I calibrated mine by using other sources to figure out my calorie burn and comparing that to the HRM. I changed my activity level settings on the watch until the HRM gave a comparable calorie burn for the same activity. I've checked online calorie burn calculators as well, especially for swimming, which causes my HRM to read incorrectly.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The numbers are significantly off. When I first started on mfp I entered the burn from the machine manually instead of decreasing my time. After a month with 1-2 lbs lost I purchase a HRM with band and have since lost 11 lbs. I learned in undergrad classes that the machines can often show a higher burn as part of a marketing tool so I've never believed them 100%.