Last 10lbs to go....just can't quite get there!

Options
Hi, I have recently rejoined MFP. I've got 10lbs left to loose and I am finding this the hardest. I can see my goal so close but I am really struggling. Anyone else in the same situation? Would love support and to help others. x

Replies

• Dragonfly7701
    Options
    I am really far from my goal but I know that what works for when you are stuck on the same weight for a long time or like in your case can't seem to lose those extra 10lbs. is just a change in routine, food and excersice. A complete change will let your body get out of the comfortable zone. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • kimmy659
    kimmy659 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post!!
    I'm down 30lbs (thanks to MFP) and have about 10-12lbs to go until goal and I'm really struggling. I know for me it is probably food related so I'm stepping up my game!!! Wanna kick these last bunch of pounds before my May birthday!
  • tallnsexy
    tallnsexy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    absolutley, I'm right there with you. At first I had no problem dropping my 1 pound a week now the scale reads .06 or .08 pounds, what's that all about? What i think is that now we are closer to our natural weight so it's harder to loose. What i have done is change my exercise routine. I've made it a little more intense(added a Tae Bo workout) along with my regular hampster wheel routine. That has seemed to help me. It probably wouldn't hurt to reevaluate your diet too. GOOD LUCK and you hang in there, it's people like you that are my motivation
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have recently rejoined MFP. I've got 10lbs left to loose and I am finding this the hardest. I can see my goal so close but I am really struggling. Anyone else in the same situation? Would love support and to help others. x

try fat2fitratio.com, choose ALL CALCULATORS, then figure out your bodyfat% by either the MILITARY or COVERT BAILEY calculation.

Once you have your BF%, use the BMR calculator and it will show you your BMR. It will also show you the TDEE for the ideal weight that you choose. If you are one of those 1200-calorie people, I think you may be shocked.

Anyway, if you have a consistent activity level, you can eat at the TDEE for your ideal body weight, and you will get there. If you are not consistent with your activity level, eat at your current BMR instead PLUS exercise calories when you exercise.

If you would like to eat at either your ideal weight's TDEE, or your current BMR plus exercise calories, you can customize MFP. choose GOALS, CHANGE GOALS, CUSTOMIZE GOALS, and then enter your number in daily calories. Remember, if you're going with TDEE, that already includes exercise, so don't double up, however, if you eat at BMR, then you MUST eat the exercise calories.

I'll post another blurb in a minute about why many people can't make goal and stay there (it may or may not apply to you, but you can make that decision yourself).

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Here it is. As I said, this may or may not apply to you.

Here's one of my old posts from a similar topic:

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

It is also the reason most people can't lose that last 10-20 lbs. For real.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

Are you getting the picture?

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

blessings.
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    I have about 5 lbs to goal and am struggling a bit too! I am sending you a friend request so we can do it together :smile:
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have about 14lbs to go....realisticly 8 lbs would be good. :) I'm definitely finding these last few a challenge to get off, you are welcomed to add me! :)
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm at my last 10! Add me!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Sleepytexan..... that is awesome information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope everyone reads it, pays attention and heeds your advice!! You rock!!!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Start upping your calories by about 10% every week, until you're at the maintenance calorie amount for the weight you want to be at. You need more calories when you get within 15-20 lbs of your goal.
  • scott1080
    scott1080 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yes same here i was so close to my goal of 190 then holidays came and went up to 215 i have been holding at 205 and just cant shake it. feel free to add me and best of luck
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    On my last 10. This is useful info. Thanks sleepytexan!
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me as a friend, i've got another 14-21 lb to lose and i'm struggling to shift this last bit so i know how you feel. Good luck x
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm also on my last 10lb, add me if you want :)
  • steffers96
    steffers96 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm down to my last 7 lbs and it's killin me!! I exercise typically 3-4 days a week (the holidays did set me back a bit but I'm getting back on the horse on Monday). I've been up a pound, down a pound, for the last 2 months - SOO irritating!! I'm doing another round of Insanity starting Monday as well so I'm hoping that'll really help. I lost 15lbs from my first round last year so hoping to get some more great results. Wishin you all the best of luck! Friend request me if you want more support! :)