Advice needed: Shoes for feet that hurt when walking

Options
My mom has issues with her feet. She likes to walk but it hurts her feet so much. She has tried a variety of running shoes but has never found any that feel 'right' and stop the hurt.
Basically it is the top of her feet (the tissue) that hurts when any pressure is put on them (like tied shoes, even losely tied).

I thought maybe someone here has a similar problem and could offer her a solution.
She walks outside so barefoot is not an option :)

thanks,
leslie

Replies

• Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would recommend she see a podiatrist.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Has she gone to a store where they watch your stride/gait etc, work with you ask questions?

I walk in the 3Day and would not buy shoes without going to the running store I go to for shoes, they watch you walk in your current/old shoes see how you walk what issues etc you have and try many pairs on and watch all of that again

I highly suggest she finds a store like this - I live in Minnesota and we have many that do this
  • racs80
    racs80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i have sore feet but mines from my bones i wear special made insoles which i got from my podiatrist mabye they could do something to help your mam x
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    She should see a podiatrist, as they could likely fit her with custom orthotics that work for every shoe.

I know people who are on their feet all day tend to prefer strong soled shoes, like clogs or Dansko.

At many NewBalance locations, they actually have a pedorthist on site. That could be a more low cost option for finding the right fit.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Some running stores actually fit feet for shoes. I know Raleigh Running Outfitters in NC does. Maybe she could find a store that does that. I have issues with shoes but the best walking shoes I have ever owned are New Balance 554's. I even run in them even though they are walking shoes because the running shoes I bought do the same thing to my feet that your mom has complained about. I have not had a chance to go get fit for running shoes so I am just dealing with it right now.
  • downhomechik
    Options
    My mom has issues with her feet. She likes to walk but it hurts her feet so much. She has tried a variety of running shoes but has never found any that feel 'right' and stop the hurt.
    Basically it is the top of her feet (the tissue) that hurts when any pressure is put on them (like tied shoes, even losely tied).

I thought maybe someone here has a similar problem and could offer her a solution.
    She walks outside so barefoot is not an option :)

thanks,
    leslie

I'd see a podiatrist first. But I will share that I spent over $500 on a pair of orthos at podiatrist and the $50 Dr. Scholls work just as well for my poor, low arch. First she must be treated.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My wifes podiatrist recommends New Balance 927's. They say "Walking" on them. They seem to help, she had to get a man's size because her feet are short. :D
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I bought some walking/hiking shoes from Cabelas. I put them on and my feet quit hurting. I was doing alot of walking so my husband said I should get some good ones. They were about 87 dollars but well worth the money. I walk alot and don't have any issues anymore. Good luck!
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I'd see a podiatrist first. But I will share that I spent over $500 on a pair of orthos at podiatrist and the $50 Dr. Scholls work just as well for my poor, low arch. First she must be treated.

Yea, not everyone *needs* a custom pair, and cost concerns should always be communicated with your doctor. Good doctors consider cost of care when recommending therapeutic changes.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Has she gone to a store where they watch your stride/gait etc, work with you ask questions?

I walk in the 3Day and would not buy shoes without going to the running store I go to for shoes, they watch you walk in your current/old shoes see how you walk what issues etc you have and try many pairs on and watch all of that again

I highly suggest she finds a store like this - I live in Minnesota and we have many that do this

^^^This!!! I went to Fleet Feet Sports. I'm not sure where you live, but they have locations in various parts of the U.S. Here is a link to check if there is one near you (assuming you live in the U.S., of course): http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/locations I was having alot of knee and foot pain every time I tried to run. It can be pretty pricey (mine cost $110), and I was leery to spend that much money on a pair of shoes. It's been almost a month, and I've had ZERO pain in my knee and minimal pain and fatigue in my feet and ankles. It's the best investment I've ever made...as far as fitness equipment/clothing is concerned.
  • pudgeman316
    Options
    New Balance series 900 and up provide better support and comfort than 900 and below. I currently am on my 2nd pair of 920's and my first pair of 1240's. The 1240's feel like it's walking on air. If she uses something like that, and it doesn't help, custom orthotics would be the next means.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/video//?click=vid_sr#v5004218001

Cut and paste the above into your browser to watch a video clip that will help you decide which type of shoe would work best for your mom.

There are tons of internet sites for helping you choose proper walking shoes. Reading customer feedback (reviews) is also a great tool to use as an additional guide.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/video//?click=vid_sr#v5004218001

Cut and paste the above into your browser to watch a video clip that will help you decide which type of shoe would work best for your mom.

There are tons of internet sites for helping you choose proper walking shoes. Reading customer feedback (reviews) is also a great tool to use as an additional guide.

But if she's never seen a podiatrist it is possible that her shoes are not the problem.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I would recommend she see a podiatrist.

This...

Everyone has different feet. I just went to mine, because it hurts when I jog for long periods. I know I have flat feet, so I am getting fitted for a custom arch support. I can't wait lol

Im a dork :)