Loved this....thanks for sharing!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Being a person who has left "faith", I'm very much in agreement with the statement.
    Once I quit worrying about the rules men wrote in a book 2000 years ago, I started living.
    I'm kinder, calmer, more charitable in my finances and in my time. For I now look upon life as something wonderful and precious but that is so rare in the Universe that I want to leave the earth as a better place than when I was born. Period.

^^ THIS! My husband and I also left organized religion and are better people because of it.
    OP: Thank you for posting.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Couldn't have put it better myself... well said. I've had gay friends over the years that cannot/will not/are afraid to come out completely and it's a damned shame.

My favorite comeback to hateful comments is to just quietly say, "I though Jesus loved everyone..." that usually shuts them up :)

I love that response and if you dont mind will use it myself from now on! I am a Christian but honestly have a hard time with many churches, Jesus gave us 2 rules in order to make it to heaven, 1. love one another as I have loved you; and 2. believe in him. All the rest is "guidance", we all need to remember that.
  • nomoreplaying
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. My heart sunk down to the floor, my throat almost clogged - dam. The saddest thing is we know in this day and time of earth, things are not going to change.
  • Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is so touching. Thanks for sharing.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hell of a post, thanks for sharing. And agreed, it's a shame we can't love one another just that bit more.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    No, what makes somebody love, accept, and befriend their fellow man is letting go of a need to be better than others.
    I AM better than you!!!.... no, just kidding, I am not. You and I are different, not better or worse, and in so many ways we are the same, it's a shame I don't know you and 'Jacob' in real life.

I am sorry that your friend 'Jacob' has been summarily dismissed by so many, and any other 'Jacobs' out there. I will not lie, there are those that I would not accept/friend (child molesters/wife beaters), but withing my level of tolerance, 'Jacob's' predisposition would not be an issue. Even if we chose to NOT friend others, increasing our level of tolerance would go so far into improving our society as a whole. I've been teaching my son, from early, to accept each individual for what who he or she is, and if the differences are so great that you can not accept them, walk away and allow them to be who they chose to be without judgement. You don't have to like everybody, buy you don't have to hate anybody.

Kudos for the (long) post and having the guts to put it out there in the first place.
  • avalonmaiara
    Options
    just... WOW
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I like the part where his VERY FIRST SENTENCE is "I didn't write this" and everyone says, "Wow, you did a good job writing that!"

On a more serious note, I saw the article last week and was glad someone had the heart to write it. Sadly, the ones who need to hear it the most won't listen.

"Well, some of those folks probably aren’t really Christians. 1 John 4:20 says, “If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.” And 1 John 2:9 says “Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness.” I am not allowed by Jesus to hate anyone. Our culture has accepted two huge lies: The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."
    -Rick Warren
    ... which is hilarious, because Rick Warren is very anti-gay-marriage. Yes, Rick.... sometimes you really DO need to compromise your convictions to be compassionate.

Although I am all for gay marriage (love my gays!)
    You can still be against it and not hate gay people, which is what this quote is demonstrating.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well said, God loves everyone, as should we. :heart:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Couldn't stop reading. Excellent post!
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree. I never did understand how "people of faith" could condem others. the whole point is to love one another :-)
  • candylooms
    Options
    That was awesome of you to write Bob. I loved it and agree with you. I also think all the Jacob's of this world would be proud to have a friend like you.
    Thank you for having the balls to write that.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I read this about a week ago, I love it.

"Well, some of those folks probably aren’t really Christians. 1 John 4:20 says, “If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.” And 1 John 2:9 says “Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness.” I am not allowed by Jesus to hate anyone. Our culture has accepted two huge lies: The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."
    -Rick Warren
    very well said.. I admitt I did not read op's entire post because it was way long.. the only response I have is this

Matthew 22:36-40

New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
    37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
    I think that says it all.. as Christians we are called to love.
  • elysianashes
    Options
    -Rick Warren
    ... which is hilarious, because Rick Warren is very anti-gay-marriage. Yes, Rick.... sometimes you really DO need to compromise your convictions to be compassionate.

Although I am all for gay marriage (love my gays!)
    You can still be against it and not hate gay people, which is what this quote is demonstrating.
    It's not a matter of whether he outright hates them or not. The fact that he believes they don't deserve the same sort of benefits that everyone else does is very telling. Compassion is allowing others to be themselves whether you like it or not. Saying they should not be allowed to marry each other is NOT compassionate. It's controlling.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Thank you for sharing this! (I just posted it on my FB) :heart:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I know not everyone is Christian, but I am going to quote this anyway. " For God so loved the world that He gave his only Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. " - John 3:16. " The world " includes everyone, whether your gay, bi, straight, whatever. God loves everyone. We, as Christians, are suppose to mimic that love. The problem is, we don't. You don't have to agree with their lifestyle to love them, you just have to love them despite their lifestyle.

I just wanted to add one thing to this. Its impossible for us as human being to love like that. We are truly incapable to be 100% unconditional lovers. It is outside of human nature. We still have to try

Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.
    2 Thessalonians 3:15 ESV

AS a BROTHER!!!
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Beautifully written. This is the reason I don't belong to ANY organized religion. "Do as you would be done by" has always seemed to be all that's really needed.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    love this and its so true. i feel so fortunate to live in california where views are more liberal. but the westboro church came to protest AT MY SCHOOL when i was there a few yrs ago. so we had a counter protest :)