eating out!!

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree about making sure to not go in there starving... I would scare someone with how quickly a basket of chips & salsa - or a bread basket - or onion rings - etc. appetizer - would disappear if I went in guns-a-blazin'. And then I would order the biggest fattest juiciest cheesiest sauciest main course ever, and wash it down with a thick frothy mug of dark ale.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When my wife and I go out, we try to split a meal. Also, don't go for the appetizers, you don't need them and you'll find that half a meal will be plenty to satisfy you.
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i agree you can just enjoy yourself and splurge and if that's what you wanted to do great! and if you want to fast then no it wont hurt in the slightest

i have no reason to fast because i do plan on eating healthily when i go out...its not the calories as much as the habbit. i want to get out of the habit of 'just doing what i want'. i can still order a meal that is better for you and have a good time!!! im going to see my friends and have a catch up so i will barley be concentrating on whats going in my mouth anyway!!

i wont order something i dislike!! and the paces im likely to be going, unfortunately don't serve bland food, otherwise i would be sorted haha!! t
    thanks all for the tips! alot of food for though (pardon the pun :p) hopefully there will be nice chicken salad to order lol nice and easy!!
  • k_braddock
    k_braddock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I found an app called Fast Food Calorie Lookup. It has most restaurants on there. You can look up items separately and add up the calories if it's not in MFP's database. I don't go out to eat often but when I do it's come in handy.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    so how do you manage with eating out??

calorie counts are generally available online or at the store. or just guesstimate by using approximations. easy peasy.
    portion sizes tend to be big everywhere and most things are cooked in oil!

calorie counts will be for the portion. cut the portion, cut the calories. far as oil ... meh. I don't mind.
    I don't wanna order something i think is healthy and turns out its deep fried !!!!

first, I think you'll know if what you are getting has been deep fried. but, more importantly, deep fried is some of the best tasting food out there. so get some, if you want. the only unhealthy food is a food eaten in excess.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    calorie counts are generally available online or at the store.
    This is true if you only eat at chains. Don't you ever go anywhere nice?
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do eat a light breakfast and lunch on days that I think we might be going out to save up some calories.

1) Plan on eating only half (or 1/3, if the portions are gigantic), cut the entree and push the portion I want to take home to the side of my plate. I'm less likely to keep cutting pieces off and eating them if it is already separated from the portion I intend to eat immediately.

2) Try to avoid appetizers, or if I must, I'll split something with the whole table and just have a bite or two.

3) Avoid the bread basket.

4) Ask for salad dressings on the side.

5) Avoid fried or breaded items, cream or cheese sauces, etc., unless it's something I've specifically been craving and have made the decision beforehand that I wanted to have. Order vegetable side dishes, if available.

6) Be conscious of the calorie count of drinks. Have a general idea of how many calories are in a glass of wine, pint of beer or your favorite mixed drink. It is too easy to drink calories. I usually split a bottle of wine or have a couple of beers on nights we go out to dinner, but I wouldn't want to drink much more than that (besides, I'm a sloppy drunk, lol).

7) Drink plenty of water.

8) If I have to have dessert, I'll split it with another person.

9) If I really over-indulged, which is rare, I'll eat lightly the next day to get back on track.

Relax, give a little thought going into it on what you want to eat and drink over the course of the evening, and then enjoy yourself!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    calorie counts are generally available online or at the store.
    This is true if you only eat at chains. Don't you ever go anywhere nice?

oh, sure. that's when the guesstimation comes in. find the best match you can in the database and go with it. it's probably going to be close.
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    so how do you manage with eating out??

calorie counts are generally available online or at the store. or just guesstimate by using approximations. easy peasy.
    portion sizes tend to be big everywhere and most things are cooked in oil!

calorie counts will be for the portion. cut the portion, cut the calories. far as oil ... meh. I don't mind.
    I don't wanna order something i think is healthy and turns out its deep fried !!!!

first, I think you'll know if what you are getting has been deep fried. but, more importantly, deep fried is some of the best tasting food out there. so get some, if you want. the only unhealthy food is a food eaten in excess.

as ive said its not a chain, if the calorie count is available then obviously i will use it.
    yes i will know if something is deep fat fried but i wont know how everything on the plate is served...
    and deep fat fried food is never good lol saturated fat is bad full stop. especially when im trying to loose weight
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    So...much...inuendo! Wow, OP, that was an awesomely erotic post!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Pick something some what healthy. With a salad, get the dressing on the side, and also get a take out box to put half away.
  • Lacie81
    Lacie81 Posts: 2
    Options
    I always look for the meals with the lowest calories... they are usually marked with a symbol or have a seperate place on the menu... And I also ask the server right when they bring my food out for a "to go" box and I put half away... you can even ask the server to do it for you before they bring your plate out...

Seems to work for me!
  • LR1234
    LR1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need to know what you are doing to burn 2800-2900 calories a day so I can do it too!!
  • 84brady
    84brady Posts: 1
    Options
    I go to the menu on here and add what I might like to eat and see if it puts me over my goal - if not, I will go out and eat it, otherwise I look for something else or not opt to go out that day.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    always eat raw when eating out cooked is bad
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If I go to a pizza place, I go for the 500 calories or less option... Pizza express here, they dig a hole out the middle of the pizza and fill it with salad stuff.

Elsewhere, there is usually a fish option and I go for that. Never breaded or battered. Just fish with veggies and potatoes.
    At the chinese, I am not so good at picking a healthier option as none of it seems healthy at the place my mum takes me usually, and we share dishes.

But then I only eat out when I go to stay with my mum, which is 4-5 times a year for 2-3 days a time. So I tend to not worry quite so much (til I get home and find the scale has gone up 2-3Ibs from such a drastic change in diet lol)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    so how do you manage with eating out?? im not sure where im goin yet but portion sizes tend to be big everwhere and most things are cooked in oil! i dont wanna order something i think is healthy and turns out its deep fried !!!!

Ask questions before you order.
    Order grilled chicken, or salads.

Not that hard really.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You might try splitting something with someone. Right now though I am craving fish and chips!
    ^^^ This sharing is caring! If you have a couple of friends willing to do it....why not:flowerforyou:
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Sauces on the side, grilled not fried, don't add salt/butter. It may sound funny, but some restraunts I order from the kids menu. You'ld be surprised at the amount of food some of them serve. I have also skipped the restraunt dessert and stopped and gotten a frozen non-fat yogurt instead. Every little bit helps.
  • SamanthaTheSpartan
    Options
    Burger King has a veggie burger. It's pretty good. I know it's still fast food, but much better than a whopper.