• Apike6
    Apike6 Posts: 2
    Options
    i dip mine in honey too! =)
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    This is my most favorite sweet potato recipe:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/11/roasted-sweet-potatoes-recipe-with-red.html

It is so good, I could easily eat the entire pan!
  • gollyitsmolly
    Options
    I just fried some today in extra virgin coconut oil, seasoned with salt and pepper. Very, very good. Sweet potato and coconut flavor work well together.

:heart: I agree! I eat mine like a desert though: bake mine in foil for maybe an hour @ 350 individually wrapped so I can stash them in the fridge for on-the-go. So yummy warm with maybe a teaspoon of coconut oil and cinnamon (tastes like pie!)

Or for fries I just chop the into matchsticks spray with olive oil spray, lightly salt and pepper and then make an even layer on a cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 for maybe 15 depending on your oven. Flip for another 10. Just try to get them the same size of some will burn! You can add some Rosemary or Thyme for a little variety.

Good luck!:tongue:
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday and it was yummy!
    Sweet Potato Fries with Marshmallow Dip

http://ahintof.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweet-potato-fries-with-marshmallow-dip.html

I used Walden Farms marshmallow dip and Walden Farms syrup to make a ZERO calorie dip for my fries.
  • misshilary
    Options
    ahh!! i'm so excited to try some of the recipes!! truth is, i've never had sweet potato before :noway: so hopefully i like it! thanks for all the ideas :flowerforyou:
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    - Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite sized cubes
    - toss in large bowl with olive oil, pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
    - roast in oven on a baking sheet (arrange in single layer) at 375 until well roasted - potatoes will shrink somewhat and brown (turn potatoes once in a while to get all sides well roasted).

This is how I start a few different recipes. I'll make tacos with it, with chili powder and cumin in the potato seasoning plus black bean (or ground turkey) taco filling. Yesterday I started with sweet potatoes like this, topped with sauteed peppers, onions and tomatoes, then an egg over easy on top.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    BUMP:flowerforyou:
  • LosingToRun
    Options
    You can make fritters with them. Grate the potatoes (peeled or not) and mix in an egg, plus spices. If you want savory, you can add some salt, pepper, some garlic powder or onion. If you want sweet, pumpkin pie spice. Then make them into little cakes and fry in just a bit of oil. So good!
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kbugsmeemaw
    kbugsmeemaw Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    You can look on websites like www.allrecipes.com
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    You can cut them into wedges and add olive oil, chili powder and cinnamon and bake into fries, or just bake them and top with chili or Greek yogurt. Also, if you want a dip for the fries, mix together Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, mint and maybe a tiny bit of lemon juice.
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    We peel them, slice lengthwise in about half inch slices, spritz VERY lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with nutmeg and allspice and grill them on the grill until just fork tender. They get a yummy caramelized flavor of sweetness with no added sugar.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I slice really thin like potato chips then spray with baking spray and sprinkle with a little brown sugar and salt. Bake until they start to crisp. Flip. Sometimes I broil them for a little but you have to literally stand there and watch them as they broil because they go from good to black in seconds and I like them crisp. I prefer them with ketchup.
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    Love sweet potato, saving these recipes to try!
  • damnedlady
    damnedlady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Any way you would use a regular potato, you can use sweet potato instead. But it's tastier + healthier :) I love baking them and mashing them. Sometimes I mix in some red lentils to up the protein and I add various vegetables (love sugar snap peas, a great mix of textures). For spices I've found ginger powder gives it a great sting!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    First off: sweet potatoes are ORANGE inside, not YELLOW, like YAMS. Grocery stores frequently get this confused.

For Sweet potatoes (rinse first):

slice thinish (width wise, like potatoe chips), brush with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder, pop in oven until crispy (aoubt 30 mins, or less, if preferred) @ 350'
    OR

just stab with fork and put in microwave for 5 or so minutes, serve with butter.

LOVE sweet potatoes :love:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    All I ever really do is bake them whole then eat them. If pressed for time, i microwave, or cut up into smaller chunks and bake (it's faster than baking whole). Yes the skin is edible. DEEEElicious. They're also good leftover and cold too, but maybe that's just me.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I usually boil and mash. Boring, I know.

that makes two of us