Working out when sore

Options
Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
I worked out yesterday and now of course my muscles are sore today. Is it alright to work out again today? My same workout... same muscles?

Replies

9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    If you mean you had lifted weights yesturday and now you are sore? If that is the case then you should really have 1 day off for that muscle group. It gives it time to heal. The sorness is a good sign it means that it is healing if you were to work the same muscle group for weight lifting i.e strength training then you could actually hurt that muscle area.
    I do strength traing and every other day I will do my upper body and then every other day I will do my lower body. This way my muscles get to recover in between strength traing workouts. Hope this helps.
    You can do cardio everyday. Cardio is not the same as strength trainging
  • dlestermfp
    dlestermfp Posts: 106
    Options
    It depends (don't you love that kind of answer?)

You may have over-exerted something and be genuinely in need of an off-day to heal, or you may just be a bit stiff.

If you were doing something like lifting, most people feel pretty strongly about an off-day to allow the muscles more time to heal. That is probably good advice.

If it was something aerobic, like walking/running, you are probably just stiff. You can find out by just doing the same activity slowly for a bit. If you loosen up and the pain goes away, you are probably fine to work out again. If the pain persists even after loosening up then you probably need to take it easy on those muscles and do something else.

Just my opinions. YMMV
  • llywyn
    llywyn Posts: 315
    Options
    Learning the difference between sore and "broken" will be something that takes time to learn.

My suggestion? Absolutely, but take it slow until your muscles warm up. You will likely find that you feel twice as good for doing so.

Here's another few tips:

1)Stretching - change up your routine and try some yoga, but at least make sure you spend 5 min per workout stretching.
    2)Massage - what better way to ease out the kinks? Treat yourself and do your body a favor too
    3) Ibupropen - only on days that I just cannot move would I reccomend this, but it works
    4)Hot tub/sauna - if you go to a gym they may have either one and they are great for easing the muscle tension.

my .02 lbs.
  • CristinaMunoz
    Options
    Muscle need time to recouperate just like anythin else. i think there is a 2 day rule. I would ask a trainer at the gym what a good rest/work cycle for the same muscle group is.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Yeah, I lifted weights... small ones.. only 3lbs hahaha Im weak I know :tongue: My arms were shaking with those after a few reps! Cardio is much easier! That is what my muscle are sore from. I took a break today anyways, but I wanted to know for the future so I dont injure myself. Thanks all! :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi Carrie! Haven't seen you around lately! :flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi Carrie! Haven't seen you around lately! :flowerforyou:

Aww thanks! :smile: Hellooo!