Need Grocery List advice...

Options
Ok...so I've been told by the Doctor that I'm very close to becoming Pre-diabetic....Pretty much rocked my world.

I am working on a grocery list and want some new ideas of what to have on hand everyday. I get tired of the same old thing everyday, so new suggestions will be GREAT! Don't worry about trying to see if your faves are diabetic friendly or not...> I just need some new ideas and will work around everything else. So...LISt AWAY MY PALS!

THanks in advance for all of your help and advice. Feel free to add me as a pal if you are interested!

Replies

• gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    not sure if you grill, but always having frozen lean meats and differnet marinades is good. YOu should also have frozen sides to go with it ... Trader Joes has bunch of these, frozen mash potatoes, grilled corn, fire roasted veggies, even frozen rice.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    gdoritz....thanks! I will check more closely in the frozen food aisle today.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese.
    Spinach
    Almonds
    Rice cakes
    chicken breasts
    Tinned fish
    Frozen prawns
    Quinoa
    Chestnut mushrooms
    Parmesan cheese
    cherry tomatoes
    cucumber
    natural yoghurt
    eggs
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    not sure if you grill, but always having frozen lean meats and differnet marinades is good. YOu should also have frozen sides to go with it ... Trader Joes has bunch of these, frozen mash potatoes, grilled corn, fire roasted veggies, even frozen rice.

THIS! I started really getting into all sorts of sauces and simmer things..........there are a million different things to cook meat in especially in the Asian section of the market. :)
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I always have a variety of frozen veggies on hand that I can roast in the oven with some garlic, olive oil and lemon. I also keep a box of mixed field greens in the fridge to make a variety of salads. I grill several chicken breasts on Sundays so that I can just cut them up and put them on a salad or in a wrap. I also sautee an onion and some bell peppers to add to wraps and or salads. I buy a large bag of baby carrots and portion them out in snack packs for a grab and go.
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm a grocery list fiend - it's the one area I plan to a T every week. From both a diet and wallet perspective, it's a must for me.

You might try what I had last night:

***Stuffed chicken Breast with Butternut Squash Salad***

600 Calories (depending on the brands you use)- Gives a really big portion
    Serves 2

90g Chicken Breast x 2
    1 Tablespoon of Chilli Pesto
    1/2 slice of brown bread, crumbed.

1 Small Butternut Squash
    Handful of Baby Spinach
    30g Low fat Feta

Garlic Clove, diced finely
    1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
    A tablespoon of Olive Oil
    1 Teaspoon of Honey

Roast your Butternut Squash on a silicone mat at Gas Mark 7 for 45 minutes.

Slice a little pocket in the chicken and stuff each with the breadcrumbs mixed with pesto.
    Put the chicken in the oven 20 minutes after the squash.

For the dressing, chop your garlic and mix the vinegar, oil and honey with it.

When the squash and chicken are done. toss the Spinach in the dressing. Arrange the squash & chicken on the plate and crumble the feta over the squash.

Yummy yum yum.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Below is the link for Micchi's Ladder, use it as a guide for better eatring..try to stick with tier 1.2. and 3~

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    With pre-diabetes the types of fats you eat are super important. Try to stick with Olive, Canola and fats from natural butter. Dairy butter, peanut or almond. If you can grind your own at your local store do that, if not, look for no sugar added...you'd be surprised at how much sugar they add to that stuff. No sugar added bread or one better, Ezekiel breads in the frozen section. Loads of veggies, fresh or steam in bag frozen. Try to stay away from canned goods as much as possible. Whole wheat pasta and Brown rice, unbleached white wheat flour (whole wheat can take a while to get used to). Try to stick with natural sugars like honey or turbinado, Stevia, not Truvia, if you'd like. Nut mixes are wonderful and Planters makes a Nutrition line that is perfect. Blue corn chips or baked veggies chips, Greek yogurt, no fruit juices, eat the whole fruit instead. Skinny cow makes treats that will fit into your carb budget if you'd like a sweet. Sugar free products don't act well with my body at all but if they work for you I know plenty of companies make really tasty things to nibble on. Whole grain waffles or great or if your time is limited frozen Canadian bacon and egg and English muffin microwave breakfast things are a great choice. Overall, no matter what you buy, read the labels when you eat it. Count your carbs and try to staybetween 20-30 per meal. If you'd like a treat skip rice with dinner and have that as your carb. Most of all, make changes you can LIVE with, not suffer through. These will need to be for your life, not for right now. Every little choice counts towards healing your body.
  • mellisaweldon
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Spinach
    Rice cakes with flavors
    chicken breasts
    shrimp (frozen or precooked)
    Parmesan cheese
    cherry tomatoes
    cucumbers
    natural yogurt
    eggs
    spaghetti
    spaghetti sauce with herbs
    ramen noodles (for a high cal and carb snack for those days your blood sugar is low)
    salads (wal-mart has premade ones that are good and you can switch dressings if you like to and have them handy)
    strawberries
    blueberries
    apples
    oranges
    grapefuits
    watermelon
    fresh sweet corn on the cob
    potatoes

There's just a few, lol, and I have had some problems with diabetes myself, so been there done that. Just as long as you have a variety you should be fine. And eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies always helps. If you need any more ideas let me know.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ramen noodles (for a high cal and carb snack for those days your blood sugar is low)

whoa, aren't these like, REAL bad for you?
  • Figment14300
    Options
    BUMP
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Google "low carb diet" and you can get some ideas there. I'd be very careful about bottled marinades as many tend to be high in sugar, which you'd want to avoid.

Try to stick to lean proteins and vegetables for awhile, until you get things under control. Frozen veg are okay, but limit canned and processed stuff (full of sodium), or else you're trading one problem for another.

Limit your consumption of grains.
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you love the taste butter like I do, I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray! It has NOTHING in it except i think 1mg of sodium per 5 sprays. No fat, no cholesterol, no calories, I love it! I also eat/juice a TON of fruits and vegetables in the week, perhaps as pre-diabetic though more veges over fruits because of the sugar content. Good luck!