Plateau

Options
Sadly, I've hit a bit of a weight loss plateau. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get under 130. I try to stay under 700 calories a day, and workout as much as possible, but I've simply stopped loosing weight.
What do you guys do when you hit a spot where you just stop loosing weight?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to stay under 700 calories a day? At 5'8, your goal of 115 lbs would be underweight. I don't think it's so much a plateau, as just the fact that your body is already at a healthy weight (towards the low end of that range) and doesn't want to lose any more fat.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to stay under 700 calories a day? At 5'8, your goal of 115 lbs would be underweight. I don't think it's so much a plateau, as just the fact that your body is already at a healthy weight (towards the low end of that range) and doesn't want to lose any more fat.

^^THIS^^

I'm 5' 8" and I am hovering right around 160 and been stuck here for 4 1/2 months. 115 pounds is far too thin and 130 pounds is already pushing the low end for our height and weight. Your body is going to fight you tooth and nail to go lower.
  • Eccendentesiast
    Options
    At 130 pounds I can still grab a chunk of weight around my stomach and I still have a bulge.
    700 calories is, to be honest, pushing it on the high end of calories I would like to eat.
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think that's definitely not good for you, I'm pretty sure you need to at least 1200 a day and to me, that's even a little low. You can actually lose more by eating more. You're goal weight is extremely low. This is from national guard, check out the minimum and maximum for your current weight and height, that's a healthy goal!

http://www.nationalguard.com/guard-basics/eligibility-requirements?icid=home_subnav_eligibility_20110420

Good luck!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    At 130 pounds I can still grab a chunk of weight around my stomach and I still have a bulge.
    700 calories is, to be honest, pushing it on the high end of calories I would like to eat.
    I say this in a supportive manner. It sounds like you are moving towards having an eating disorder.

That "chunk" around your waist is your flesh and skin. We all have flesh and skin. If anything, you don't have to lose weight but tone up.

If you get to the point where you're afraid to eat, please seek some help.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Exactly. You need to up your calories to lose any more weight.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think myfitnesspal should utilise stickied topics and put this in GIANT NEON FLASHY THINGS, "EAT MORE TO LOSE MORE!"

There are so many people who have the general populace ideals (eat below 800 calories and of course you will lose weight.) which is definitely wrong, and increasingly persistent in so many people.

From the last few days of surfing through the forums, about 75% or more topics ive read and posted on always goes Im eating X00 calories and Im not losing any more weight even though initially I lost alot!. Reason is, your body is going into starvation mode, this is a survival instinct which YOU CANNOT CONTROL. You cannot fight your body, you cannot defeat your body, to reach your goal you MUST WORK WITH your body. In starvation mode, your body thinks "omg there is no food to eat, im starving and I will die If I keep processing food the way I did before" and hence will attempt to process ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING you eat into FAT STORAGE!
  • Eccendentesiast
    Options
    I say this in a supportive manner. It sounds like you are moving towards having an eating disorder.

That "chunk" around your waist is your flesh and skin. We all have flesh and skin. If anything, you don't have to lose weight but tone up.

I am very open with my eating habits, and will admit, I am anorexic. I've lost 21 pounds, and plan to continue doing so.
    Thank you for responses, everyone, however no one can change my mind as to my choice of lifestyle. I did not wish to become anorexic, but it has happened, and I'm not going to change any time soon.
    But instead of saying how I'm eating too little, I'd really like advice to get past this "sticky spot" of not being able to drop below 130.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Ummm more food and heavy weights to tone up, what I perceive to be skin and bone already. Seriously, 700cals a day is ridiculous. Get real.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    First of all You are not eating enough calories for a healthy weight loss. You need to up your calories to at least 1200. eat fruits and veggies, and I'll bet you will see a loss!!
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are eating too few calories girlie!
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you go to the group "Eat More to Lose Weight". It has great info there to help you understand what your body is doing to hold on to the weight (plateau). I was at a plateau and when I read this the light bulb went on. Good health to you:)
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Maybe your on a plateau cause ur STARVING yourself!!!!!!!
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ummm more food and heavy weights to tone up, what I perceive to be skin and bone already. Seriously, 700cals a day is ridiculous. Get real.

^ this. What you are doing is killing yourself (literally). The value 1200 minimum for women is actually a value that is the BARE MINIMUM required for your body to FUNCTION at 100%. Anything less and your body is not working as it should be and TRUST ME when I say you will have medical issues coming up. Nowadays all you see are medical issues on being too heavy, that does not mean there arent any for undereating either.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responses, everyone, however no one can change my mind as to my choice of lifestyle. I did not wish to become anorexic, but it has happened, and I'm not going to change any time soon.
    But instead of saying how I'm eating too little, I'd really like advice to get past this "sticky spot" of not being able to drop below 130.
    You've chosen anorexia as a lifestyle?

I seriously doubt you're going to get any public advice on how to lose more weight. To give you such advice would make us complicit in your self-harm.
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options

How you feel about your weight is entirely personal so no advise there but you just can not sustain health and strength at 700 calories!

Your body is in what they call 'starvation' mode.

The less you eat the slower your metabolism becomes and the less food you need to fuel your body. So you will 'exist' but gradually your body becomes weaker.

There are masses of posts regarding calorie intake and the balance between this and losing weight. I am a firm believer in eating more to reset your metabolism then working damn hard to earn the calories you eat! I have hit many plateaus over the years and I am living proof that you can repair a badly damaged metabolism by eating and exercising correctly.

As I say it is a balance....nobody is exactly the same but our bodies are like machines that need to be maintained in a certain manner. They need to be fueled correctly and kept well tuned for them to operate as they are supposed to.

Be guided by the information offered on the site.....even when you set your goals you would have been offered an 'ideal' management program.....obviously we tweak it here and there to suit ourselves but your tweaking is to the extreme and I feel puts you at risk.

I hope you don't mind me putting in my two cents worth but it does sadden me when I see someone doing it the hard (and unhealthy) way. :frown:

Jenni :flowerforyou:
  • Eccendentesiast
    Options
    You've chosen anorexia as a lifestyle?

I seriously doubt you're going to get any public advice on how to lose more weight. To give you such advice would make us complicit in your self-harm.

I didn't choose it. It started as a desperate need to loose weight thinking "okay, I'll just not eat for a while, and eat again when I loose weight" and it has gone to "I ate 200 calories today. *kitten*, I'm a fat a@s" Mentally, I can't eat without feeling like total crap about myself. I did -not- choose to be like this, but I am. And people can stop judging me for it. Anyone that has extremely low self-confidence can relate to this feeling.
    I simply want advice on how to get past this plateau.
  • mlosesweight
    Options
    I'm 5'1, 96lbs and still trying to lose weight as well, my thighs and lower stomach are still fatty because i can pinch them between my fingers. My upper arms are also loose and disgusting.

If you wanna lose weight, you gotta or you just feel terrible every time you look in a mirror. :frown:
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options

I am very open with my eating habits, and will admit, I am anorexic. I've lost 21 pounds, and plan to continue doing so.

The advice you are getting to eat more is precisely what will promote healthy weight loss. It seems what you want to hear is that 700 is wayyy too much and all you really need is a couple of wheat thins and a 20oz water daily. Will that make you feel better? Otherwise, the fastest way to weigh less might be to find a nice tall rafter and a strong rope. You'll certainly reach your goal faster.

SMELLS LIKE A TROLL
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    *losing weight

You need to speak with a nutritionist or GP. The 700 calories a day goal does not sound particularly healthy and you are already at a healthy weight.