Vegetarian: Getting Protein w/out Carbs?

Options

Replies

• barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love Garden of Life's RAW Protein powder in my smoothies and shakes. My husband prefers Proventive Nutritional Therapies' Harmonized Vegan Protein powder (I don't use this one because I don't like stevia -- the Garden of Life one is not sweetened at all).

The kids like the Amazing Meal powders from Amazing Grass in Chocolate Infusion and Vanilla Chai.

I also love Kyo-Green Energy Drink Powder Mix which has wheat grass, chlorella and other vital greens. Just 1 tsp of chlorella has as much protein as one ounce of beef! I mix it with a little rice milk, and find it very tasty.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm not even vegetarian, but so tired of turkey/chicken/tuna.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm not even vegetarian, but so tired of turkey/chicken/tuna.

Vanilla milkshake. You can thank me later.

Edit; although, not carb free :P
  • MandieMarieF
    MandieMarieF Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vega products (of which I LOVE) and you can find them at certain health food stores or www.myvega.com. Also, when I juice fast, I use Garden of Life raw protein powder made from organic sprouts. You can find this stuff at pretty much any health food store. The Garden of Life stuff has no beans, soy, nuts, etc. All made from young sprouts! Hope this helps!!!
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am mostly vegetarian too and I find TVP/soy chunks to be a great source of protein!
  • BlackmetalCoffee79
    BlackmetalCoffee79 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The RD I saw suggested I aim for 80g of protein a day. Even though I eat beans, rice, quiona, nuts, etc. I still have trouble reaching it every day without going over my calorie or carb intake.

Um thing is, with getting protein from lentil sources and such they are incomplete protein. It doesnt have all the 10 essential amino acids and stuff. If you are a vegetarian then your best option is dairy products and SOY!!! Soy is pretty much the best thing a vegetarian has to a protein source from food unless you would like to go grab some protein powders.

Thing that bothers me about lots of soy though is the estrogen rumors that are rampid. I have no idea if its true or false, but i try to avoid as much soy as possible until proven otherwise. Being a vegetarian, this can be a challenge in itself.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Debittered Brewer's Yeast - 15g of Protein per 2 Tablespoons - use like Parmesan cheese
    Greek Yogurt - 23g of Protein per cup (use like sour cream in recipes)
    Chia and Hemp seeds
    Wild Rice and Quinoa

I am not low carb, but these are some things I use to up my protein besides eggs, milk, cheese, beans. Soy could also be a choice on occasion, but I try to limit soy.
  • sullymanjohn
    Options

But as a man, he seriously needs to read up on the arguments for and against soy in relation to the hormonal effects on men.

This is a real problem as I have a problem with low testosterone as it is and have to take supplements.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

But as a man, he seriously needs to read up on the arguments for and against soy in relation to the hormonal effects on men.

This is a real problem as I have a problem with low testosterone as it is and have to take supplements.
    I have to ask - WHY are you vegetarian? If it's for moral reasons then there's little I can say or do to really help you. If it's because you just think vegeterianism is healthier - do you really think it is in your case? Seems to me like your diet is crying out for some chicken and beef.
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Granted you are a guy and significantly bigger than I am, but I think my vegetarian diet gives me a significant amount of protein on not-too-many carbs. I get more than a gram of protein per lb of my bodyweight on daily basis and manage to keep my carbs to 130 or under (slightly more this last weekend for holidays and such and somewhat more when I have a hard-ish workout) with consistency. I keep my diary open if you want to check it out. My staples are: protein shakes, icelandic yogurt, seitan, more seitan, eggs, protein bars, cottage cheese, and even more seitan than you could imagine.
  • karmelkutie310
    karmelkutie310 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    they have a tofu product they sell them at whole foods and pretty good meat subs… with no meat!!
  • sullymanjohn
    Options
    I have to ask - WHY are you vegetarian? If it's for moral reasons then there's little I can say or do to really help you. If it's because you just think vegeterianism is healthier - do you really think it is in your case? Seems to me like your diet is crying out for some chicken and beef.
    Mostly I just feel healthier and more energetic since I've adopted a vegetarian diet, but it was a smart move for me to counteract some inherited issues with cholesterol problems (between that and the testosterone....gee thanks pops....) Also just came back from a year long deployment where pretty much every day was nothing but eating flavorless boiled chicken and fatty nasty meat....It was a real turn off. But mostly I just feel better with it out of my body.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    WTF at salad and avocado as protein sources?!?!

I whole avocado: 3P/17C/29F for 322 cals. I'm pretty sure that he will blow his cal limit WAY OUT if this were to be a main source of protein.

Low fat dairy, whey/casein, egg whites, tofu.

Or as suggested just eat fish. Hell of a lot easier!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Sprouts... easy to grow, great source of protein.

I also use the Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder... which is based on sprouts... and chia seeds.

Tuck sprouts into your sandwiches.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The RD I saw suggested I aim for 80g of protein a day. Even though I eat beans, rice, quiona, nuts, etc. I still have trouble reaching it every day without going over my calorie or carb intake.

Um thing is, with getting protein from lentil sources and such they are incomplete protein. It doesnt have all the 10 essential amino acids and stuff. If you are a vegetarian then your best option is dairy products and SOY!!! Soy is pretty much the best thing a vegetarian has to a protein source from food unless you would like to go grab some protein powders.

As do women.

In addition, why does he insist on avoiding carbs as well? Given your goals, avoiding meat and carbs is not a good combination.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    eat tofu
  • prettythinaly
    Options
    thanks so much for asking this question! I'm gathering that soy beans/tofu, cottage cheese, and so on are all great sources!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for asking this question! I'm gathering that soy beans/tofu, cottage cheese, and so on are all great sources!
    Eat soy in moderation.