Need Words of Wisdom

Options
:frown: Okay, I've been here before, but I'm really frustrated. I have actually gained about 2 lbs over the last week while faithfully following my nutrition/exercise plan. I drink all my water, I 've been watching the sodium intake, I have tried changing up the exercise a little. I've stayed between 1200-1400 calories (1200 is my minimum before exercise). Stuck is one thing, but the GAINING is TOO MUCH! :sad: I made my diary public so you seasoned MFPers can analyze me. I've said it before, M&M's are a necessary food group for me.:love: Don't plan to change that, BUT, a few words of encouragement would be welcome.

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Dont worry it happen to me aat First I was at a 45lbs lost then 2weeks ago I had what it seemed like gained 4lbs of it back..:grumble: But the others was right it was probaly water which in my case it was now I have lost 3 out of 4lbs back off....So just wait til next weigh in I seriously doubted you ate that much fat and I totally understand about the m&m's lol :laugh:
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would say that by looking at your diary maybe try watching your sodium. I work at only getting 1500mg of sodium. I noticed on a few days you were over that could make you retain water. It could also be muscle gain.

Keep up the good workouts! Congratulations on your 57lbs lost so far that is AWESOME!!!!

Amanda :flowerforyou:
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    Have you just started your exercise program? If that's the case, it could be your muscles retaining water..give it a few weeks and it will subside.

It would help to know what your weight is now, how long you've been doing your current plan and what you're eating.

My guess, it is probably water. If you're weighing yourself every week, switch to every other week. That will give you a more accurate picture of fat gain/loss.

AFTER LOOKING AT UR FOOD DIARY:

Your meals day to day look Ok, EXCEPT -

1. The Lean Cuisine meals are giving you a LOT of sodium that your body wouldn't otherwise have. I would look for another, lower sodium option OR try to sub in home cooked meals a few times

2. Your snacks - not the best of choices. OK, I understand about the M&Ms (I'm a chocolate freak myself!) BUT the other snacks - the cereals, ice cream, Pepsi are giving you some refined sugars and carbs that your body could probably do without. I know it doesn't seem like alot, but you'd be surprised at how small amounts of those things could do damage to our diets and contribute to weight gain, be it water or fat.

I'd try to replace at least some of those with healthier choices - lean deli meats, lowfat cheese sticks, nuts, cottage cheese, etc...that would also boost your healthy fat and protein intake, which will dramatically help with your weight loss.

I must say the Pepsi itself is just a lot of empty calories/carbs/sugar.

I don't know what your personal exercise situation is or what your goals are..but I would also say more cardio is needed. It doesn't have to be the slow boring type...20-30 minutes a day of HIIT would boost your metabolism and help you burn more fat and calories.

My 2 cents...
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You need 2500 mg of sodium per day - it isn't good that you don't meet this. I know that I try to watch my sodium as well, but 2500 is required. Sodium can make you retain water but, if you don't have enough, this can cause issues also and make you more hungry. You should have 4-5 servings of vegetables every day.

Ditch the soda - altogether - artificial sweetners like the ones in the meals and the sodas pose a problem in many different ways to your body. Try to wean yourself off of this or allow yourself this as a treat occasionally. Sugars - in those cereals that you eat are not good either - take a look at the box...
    Try to eat a high fiber, low sugar cereal - Kashi Go Lean is great. Add some fruit with your breakfast in the morning.

I know it's tough - I wouldn't be here if I didn't have problems of my own. You do great drinking your milk! I could never drink this much milk but, it's good that you do.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Have you considered giving up caffeine and artificial sweeteners and limiting your sugar intake to those "essential M&Ms"

ditto on switching to Kashi high fiber cereal

When you keep your calorie intake low, it has to all be nutrition dense (tons of nutrition compared to calories)

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    I agree with the sodium...but most people get enough sodium in their diets from natural sources, so I would not worry about your sodium intake at this point. I do feel that the boxed meals you are using are part of the problem and helping your body to retain water, not to mention the preservatives and artificial additives that are in them.

I thnk that on at least some days your breakfast should be more substantial. Maybe oatmeal w/blueberries and milk, with some walnuts thrown in. You can add a bit of protein powder to give you a more complete meal. In addition to jumpstarting your metabolism for the day, you would also probably not be as hungry later on.

I also agree that more fruits and vegetables are needed. I suggest fruits in the A.M. and adding more green vegetables with each meal (this also helps with fiber intake).

When you're trying to lose weight and get healthy, four things apply:

1. Refined sugars and carbs must go (or at least in extreme moderation)
    2. Fiber intake should increase (through fruits or vegetables - don't overdo it on the fruit, 1 or 2 servings is sufficient)
    3. Water intake must increase
    4. Protein intake must be sufficient (try to get some high-quality protein at EVERY meal - yes, even breakfast
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you all. I knew when I posted this that you would look much more closely at things and CALL ME ON MY BAD HABITS. You have confirmed what I actually knew but was trying to deny. I think I just needed it beaten into me! :love: I love this site!