How Do I Avoid Fast Food?

Options
I have a bad habit of eating out alot. I know the simple answer is "eat at home", but sometimes when out and about and away from home its difficult. Im wondering if anybody has any advice as to how to be able to eat out, but avoid the fast food? I like eating at places that are fairly inexpensive, but when using the MFP app on my iPhone, it almost seems nearly impossible to eat out and avoid foods that have insane amounts of calories / sodium.

Any advice?

Replies

• JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I either eat before I go out, or I wait until I return home.

Sometimes if i'm going to be out all day, i'll take some snacks in the car with me, like nuts and fruit pieces.
  • deletedusernameaccount
    Options
    sodium seems to be the hardest to avoid. its insane how much basically anywhere you eat out at (fast food, chain restaurant) has a ton on sodium in the food.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be gone for a while, like through lunch, I pack my lunch in a cooler bag and eat it on the go.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone, but the best way I keep from eating fast food is to only eat vegetarian. Since most fast foods are meats, going vegetarian gives me a sturdier excuse not to eat them. Now, if you get a salad from a fast food place, it may still be a little more unhealthy than a homemade salad, but it's better than a double cheeseburger.

Speaking of calories and eating out, I can't tell you how pissed off I was that a half-portion appetizer sampler thingie at Denny's is... 1100 calories? I don't remember, but it was ridiculous, it was a lot, and I'd hate to see how many calories the full-portion has. Granted, it's meant to split up among more than one person, but seriously.
  • carameldelightonly1
    carameldelightonly1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just think about all the grease it has in it & the reason you joined mfp & what you're trying to do to get to your goal.
  • carameldelightonly1
    carameldelightonly1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Packing light healthy snacks is also good....fruit, raw veggies, nuts
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I quit McDonalds and chain resturaunts cold turkey. I found that making a commitment and a promise to myself was the only way I could completely do it. Also, buy a calendar and for every day that you don't eat fast food, mark the day with a red X. Once you start noticing all the red x's, it becomes a lot easier. I am doing that when I work out and whenever I don't work out, knowing I can't mark the calendar starts to become a little dissapointing. I tried to use the excuse of not having time, or not having enough money but stopping at a convenience store and at least buying chex mix, a protein bar, or a fruit is cheaper and much more beneficial than spending all that time and money at fast food corporations.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I was a very bad eater. Fast food made up alot of my meals. Since starting MFP I have not had any fast food,the money saved is amazing and my health has improved 100%. I don't eat in my car anymore. I keep flavored water in my car. I plan my meals in the morning,log them then change things when I need to. It's all about planning things out.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Chipotle and Subway have calorie info online and you should be able to easily eat there while staying in a calorie deficit.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to live on Sheetz and McDonald's my first year of college, the way I quit was to either eat before leaving my house, or packing something I can eat easily at a stoplight or parked in a parking lot or driveway. I always bring a Good Greens plus bar with me in my purse along with trail mix, a hard boiled egg in a container with a little cool pack, a bottle of water, or some milk in a container with a cool pack.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Pack food to take with you for meals that you can do this (work lunch, etc.). I pack my lunches whenever possible, and I usually toss in a few snacks anyway, even if I don't plan on eating them that day. It's good to have healthy food on hand for times when your schedule goes unplanned. I like to pack protein bars in my backpack for times when I'm running late and need to eat.

If you do go out, try to go to chain restaurants. Most of them have their nutritional info on their website so preplan what you'll have before you go.

If you can't do that, then go for a lean meat (not fried, no sauce, just simple grilled or baked meat) and veggies. Skip potatoes, breads, and tortillas. It's hard to mess that up, and most restaurants have something that will fit.

Preplanning your day is very important to avoiding the food that you're struggling to avoid.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Imagining the grease and how terrible it is for me....doesn't work for me. I really, really love unhealthy food and now it's just down to will power. Therefore, I tend to let myself have a fast food day. I let myself indulge in crap occasionally as long as I pre-plan it.

Though, I found the longer I go without it, I don't really get any cravings or yearnings for it. So it's a bit easier.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So, I never really liked BK/McDonalds as a kid. But, if I do eat food from there, I choose a salad. It's not the best salad ever, but it's better than the bacon-double-steakburger-supreme-a-la-mode.

Actually, all kidding aside, you lose a taste for the greasy fast food as you continue to eat well. I can swing by BK and grab burgers for my kids and not want anything. (My kids play school sports and run 6-minute miles, so all good.)

So, choose a salad. Or, choose better fast food. A Subway Club is a good salad or sub (am not a fan of Subway bread) ... or a Subway ham and turkey. Forget the cheese at Subway, as it does not really add good taste. Use mustard instead of mayo, light mayo if you must. Add tons of veggies.

Cheers,

Sean
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you tried grocery stores? A lot of grocery stores have quick-service cafes these days where you can get healthier selections -- make your own salads, hot soups, trays of fresh sushi, or you can get pre-cut, ready-to-eat fruits and vegetables and similar choices.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I read this to myself and my friends!

http://www.helpguide.org/life/fast_food_nutrition.htm
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    So, I never really liked BK/McDonalds as a kid. But, if I do eat food from there, I choose a salad. It's not the best salad ever, but it's better than the bacon-double-steakburger-supreme-a-la-mode.

Actually, all kidding aside, you lose a taste for the greasy fast food as you continue to eat well. I can swing by BK and grab burgers for my kids and not want anything. (My kids play school sports and run 6-minute miles, so all good.)

So, choose a salad. Or, choose better fast food. A Subway Club is a good salad or sub (am not a fan of Subway bread) ... or a Subway ham and turkey. Forget the cheese at Subway, as it does not really add good taste. Use mustard instead of mayo, light mayo if you must. Add tons of veggies.

Cheers,

Sean

Actually no, if you check the ingredients, the cheeseburger vs. the prepackaged salad from McDonalds, you will find that their salads contain a butt load of preservatives and anti-browning agents to keep the salad crunchy and fresh. Their cheeseburgers on the other hand, with exception of the ketchup are almost 100% whole foods.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Move to the country. Ain't no fast food joints out here. Just cows and coyotes.:smile:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    In my particular situation, not eating out does not seem to be that much of an option many times. So the choice then becomes making the best choice you can given what is an option. Mickey D's and Wendy's both have grilled chicken sandwiches that are relatively light on the caloric intake. The key is when you KNOW you have to go out, try to research it and find an item that is palatable and within your caloric budget. When this is not possible do the best you can and if it is over, don't sweat it.. It was only one day...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    It's not difficult, you're just making it difficult.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You can either do as someone else mentioned and just start preparing better for the day.

OR

You can learn to just make better choices when confronted with fast food only options. Think of it this way- Do you really need fries with that burger? Do you really need that burger or can you get a breaded chicken sandwich ? Do you really need breaded.. why not grilled chicken instead? Also, do you really need to get a coke with that? Ask for a cup of water instead. By going sans fries and soda you'll save calories and money.

There are healthy options out there, you just have to be willing to make the choices.