Smoking & Running

Options
Hey all!

I am a smoker (just under a pack a day) and I used to run nightly, not long but about a half hour a night. I am worried about my lunch capacity and if I will reak anymore havoc on my body if I start running while I continue to smoke. I am hoping to quit soon, but would like to start running before that time comes. Anything I should be worried about or do I just say heck with it and put the tennies on?

Replies

• bikegirl777
    Options
    I ran for years while being a light smoker. In my uninformed opinion, it counteracts the effects of smoking and makes you smoke less.
  • amason8416
    Options
    That is kind of what I was hoping to hear :smile: I think it will cut my cravings down a bit and when I actually do put out that last cigarette it will help tons. Thanks!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Get out there girl!! You need to quit those cigarettes :bigsmile: Plus you won't have to worry about gaining weight cause you'll be running! I've never smoked before but it may be hard to get going at first but don't give up, your lungs just have to get used to it again. Good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you are going to continue to smoke please dont do it straight after exercise while your body is still trying to recover, it can cause more damage, wait till your breathing and body temp have returned to normal.

Hope it helps, Leah
  • amason8416
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I will keep them all in mind. I hope to quit soon but meanwhile I need to get my butt out there like Alicia said! Thanks again! :happy:
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    And when you do decide to quit smoking...read the book "the easy way to stop smoking" by allen carr. I didnt' really believe it would work, but after reading the rave reviews on amazon, i thought i'd give it a try. no cravings, no headaches, no extra hunger or weight gain. in fact, you get quite excited to quit after reading. its amazing. highly recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250995494&sr=8-1
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    John "The Penguin" Bingham is a rather famous runner and columnist who has participated in hundreds of events. He also smoked up until just a few years ago.

I always joke that smoking while running is basically like training in Colorado for a fraction of the price :laugh:

Just think what your lungs can do when they're clear!

In all seriousness though, quit when you're ready to, its your choice when and you have to want it, no one can tell you to stop. Its better for you, but you know that already. :wink:
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    So... are people of the opinion that it is ok for a smoker to run? I know already that everyone will say smoking is bad for you. But for someone who is already a smoker and has no plans to quit ... is it ok for them to run or will it hurt their lungs?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    my gym teacher always said that running/cardio ect. is good for smokers lungs cause it expands them
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    So... are people of the opinion that it is ok for a smoker to run? I know already that everyone will say smoking is bad for you. But for someone who is already a smoker and has no plans to quit ... is it ok for them to run or will it hurt their lungs?

Well.. ummmm cough..ummmmmmm I had no problem.
    I am still a smoker, and I know it's bad.
    Thinking about quitting soon, I have smoked for 20 years.

But when I first started to run, it was my legs keeping me back, tired sore.
    When they got stronger, felt better and I was able to run longer, I felt my lungs were keeping me back. I have gotten better, my cardio has gotten better, stronger, longer but as msarro said.
    Just think what your lungs can do when they're clear!