Walking AND jogging burning more calories than just jogging?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I have been working my way up to full jogging. Last Saturday (the last time I went out, but not my last time exercising), I did 31/40 minutes jogging, but it wasn't straight up jogging. I had walking intervals in the middle of jogging. Today I jogged for 35 straight minutes with 1 minute walking warm up to start and 4 minutes walking cooldown. I burned 18 fewer calories with the latter (more straight up jogging). What gives?! I know I was jogging fairly slowly, but my heartrate was 140-160, which is more than it is when I walk. Is it the intervals I was doing with the walking/jogging?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    We all have a Fat Burning Zone for our heart rate in which we burn more calories. So as you increase your heart rate you increase your fitness level and endurance but burn less fat. Therefore, you burn less calories.

Great Job so far.
  • kerry1968
    Options
    When you are interval training (running / walking) you make your body work harder because it cools down then works harder the next time. Interval training is very popular, even with personal trainers. They will have you work on weights, then do 10 to 15 minutes on cardio to pump up your cardio/heartrate. It is a good way to train, lose weight, but also include a straight jog/pump for change/and challenge.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have been working my way up to full jogging. Last Saturday (the last time I went out, but not my last time exercising), I did 31/40 minutes jogging, but it wasn't straight up jogging. I had walking intervals in the middle of jogging. Today I jogged for 35 straight minutes with 1 minute walking warm up to start and 4 minutes walking cooldown. I burned 18 fewer calories with the latter (more straight up jogging). What gives?! I know I was jogging fairly slowly, but my heartrate was 140-160, which is more than it is when I walk. Is it the intervals I was doing with the walking/jogging?

If you are using a heart rate monitor to estimate calories, the heart rate monitor calculates calories based on heart rate, not the actual energy cost of the activity (the heart mate monitor assumes that the two are the same, but they are not).

The first thing to check (if your HRM has this feature) is the avg heart rate for the workout. If the AvgHR for the "continuous" workout is less than the avgHR for your interval workout, then that is your answer (at least in terms of how the number was calculated).

What you are describing points out some of the potential limitations of HRMs when it comes to estimating calorie expenditure. It always bears repeating that EVERY method of calculating/estimating calorie expenditure during exercise is an approximation only, and each method has its own factors that can contribute to the error/variance in the number you are given.

It could also be something as simple as contact issues with the chest strap that led to an undercounting of heart rate at various moments during the session.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options

If you are using a heart rate monitor to estimate calories, the heart rate monitor calculates calories based on heart rate, not the actual energy cost of the activity (the heart mate monitor assumes that the two are the same, but they are not).

The first thing to check (if your HRM has this feature) is the avg heart rate for the workout. If the AvgHR for the "continuous" workout is less than the avgHR for your interval workout, then that is your answer (at least in terms of how the number was calculated).

What you are describing points out some of the potential limitations of HRMs when it comes to estimating calorie expenditure. It always bears repeating that EVERY method of calculating/estimating calorie expenditure during exercise is an approximation only, and each method has its own factors that can contribute to the error/variance in the number you are given.

It could also be something as simple as contact issues with the chest strap that led to an undercounting of heart rate at various moments during the session.
    Very informative! Thanks! My average was above the "norm" today as were both my high and low heartrates.

Thank you all for your replies!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Very informative! Thanks! My average was above the "norm" today as were both my high and low heartrates.

Thank you all for your replies!

Interval training-20 min.-best thing you can do. Say 30 sec hard run, with a slower pace for 60-120 sec.Do 8-10 times and your going to burn more fat (for up to 48 hours). Challenge your body. You'll get the best results. Also mix up how you burn, whether it's jog, bike, eliptical, etc. Never let your body get comfortable with what it's doing and keep your muscles guessing-that's the key to results. I'm injured, but can hardly wait to get back movin' again!:drinker: