Vegetarian: Getting Protein w/out Carbs?

Options

Replies

• abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Simple fat free milk is the perfect protein source.
  • sullymanjohn
    Options
    In addition, why does he insist on avoiding carbs as well? Given your goals, avoiding meat and carbs is not a good combination.

You've never heard of reduced carb diets? That's exactly what it is, just without gorging myself on boiled birds and steaks.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    WTF at salad and avocado as protein sources?!?!

I whole avocado: 3P/17C/29F for 322 cals. I'm pretty sure that he will blow his cal limit WAY OUT if this were to be a main source of protein.

Low fat dairy, whey/casein, egg whites, tofu.

Or as suggested just eat fish. Hell of a lot easier!
    I'm pretty sure that avocados will NOT blow his cal limit "WAY OUT" as he has his calorie goal set very high! And if you recall, he stated that he was tired of eating egg whites! No one is suggesting that avocados should be his main protein source. He asked for suggestion on to how to get more protein in his diet. And you're telling him to "eat more fish"?! HELLO....HE'S A VEGETARIAN!!! Try looking that big word up in the dictionary.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    if you're after pure protein then very few vegetarian foods will off this.

I was vegan for 4 years but i made the decision to begin eating fish. It was hard at first but now a good piece of white fish meets my 'pure' protein needs.

You can of course successfully meet your weightloss fat/muscle ration by eating protein/carb foods such as pulses and beans, check out some vegetarian body building groups on the web.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I had NO IDEA green leaves were high in protein...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    WTF at salad and avocado as protein sources?!?!

I whole avocado: 3P/17C/29F for 322 cals. I'm pretty sure that he will blow his cal limit WAY OUT if this were to be a main source of protein.

Low fat dairy, whey/casein, egg whites, tofu.

Or as suggested just eat fish. Hell of a lot easier!
    I'm pretty sure that avocados will NOT blow his cal limit "WAY OUT" as he has his calorie goal set very high! And if you recall, he stated that he was tired of eating egg whites! No one is suggesting that avocados should be his main protein source. He asked for suggestion on to how to get more protein in his diet. And you're telling him to "eat more fish"?! HELLO....HE'S A VEGETARIAN!!! Try looking that big word up in the dictionary.
    Let's assume he can eat 3000 cals a day, just as an arbritary number. If he were to consume all of his calorie allotment in Avacados, so about 9/10 of them, he'd still only have about 30g of protein that day - if you look at it that way, it is a VERY inefficient source of protein, where a tin of tuna for about the same calorie intake as ONE avacado would net about 70g of protein.
  • Amy1N
    Amy1N Posts: 10
    Options
    The best option that you really have for protein as a vegetarian really is quinoa. It's a completely protein. Has all the amino acids that you need. You can mix it with anything. You can eat it for breakfast with some fruit and a little honey. You can add it to salads. You can put it in soups instead of rice or pasta. It has carbs, but they are good carbs, not starchy carbs. Give it a try.

Oh, and if you need recipes for your vegetarian lifestyle, there's an awesome website at www.101cookbooks.com. She has tons of ideas and two cook books. Give it a look.

And if you want to try just vegan recipes you can check out ohsheglows.com. She has tons of recipes and she has a very inspirational weight loss story that she includes on the blog.
  • fenrirG
    fenrirG Posts: 21
    Options
    My two favorite:
    Fat Free Cottage Cheese:
    Calories: 70
    Carbs: 5gm
    Fats: 0gm
    Protein: 13g

Tofu
    Calories: 78
    Carbs: 2.25g
    Fats: 4gm
    Protein: 9g
  • This_Daddy_Rocks
    Options
    bump
  • fenrirG
    fenrirG Posts: 21
    Options
    Granted you are a guy and significantly bigger than I am, but I think my vegetarian diet gives me a significant amount of protein on not-too-many carbs. I get more than a gram of protein per lb of my bodyweight on daily basis and manage to keep my carbs to 130 or under (slightly more this last weekend for holidays and such and somewhat more when I have a hard-ish workout) with consistency. I keep my diary open if you want to check it out. My staples are: protein shakes, icelandic yogurt, seitan, more seitan, eggs, protein bars, cottage cheese, and even more seitan than you could imagine.

I had no idea what seitan was. Looked it up, can't wait to try it. Thanks!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    In addition, why does he insist on avoiding carbs as well? Given your goals, avoiding meat and carbs is not a good combination.

You've never heard of reduced carb diets? That's exactly what it is, just without gorging myself on boiled birds and steaks.

I have, but they aren't necessary and they are very hard to sustain when you are a vegetarian (I am as well).
    I had NO IDEA green leaves were high in protein...

Where did you read?
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Is there a vegetarian protein shake or powder out there? That might be helpful.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sun Warrior has great protein powders - raw, vegan. 17 g. protein per scoop! www.sunwarrior.com
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I just need to say that it would take a HUGE amount of soy to upset hormonal balance in men. Yes it does affect hormone production, but not in amounts that most human beings could consume.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Whey protein?
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    protein shake?
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    If I was a vegetarian dude and not as concerned with the potential negative effects of soy, I would live on Tempeh, it's so much tastier than tofu. Greek yogurt is an awesome source of non-animal protein too.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how much you weigh? Because honestly, that protein level seems insanely and dangerously high. Even if you were an elite professional athlete and were in intense training 8-10 hours a day, the MAXIMUM safe amount of protein should not exceed 0.9 grams per pound of body weight. The average person who works out 5-6 days a week for 1-2 hours should be consuming about 0.6 grams per pound of body weight. Otherwise, you can be setting yourself up for some major kidney issues.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Textured Vegetable protein...can be cooked and substituted for ground beef in most recipes.