Congrats on staying under your kcals allowance?! (warning; r

Options
-Title was meant to say at the end; (warning; rant) heh

Okay, so something's been getting to me recently.. And I feel the need to get this off my chest.
There are some people on here who choose to not make their diary entries viewable to others, even with their friends added on here, and I respect that decision and everything. I'm aware that perhaps such a person would feel more comfortable with the added privacy etc.
But what worries me is when their entry is completed for the day, and y'know it says that they were under their calorie allowance for that day...which is great I suppose. But I do worry 'cause I can't see by how much they're under, and whether it's really that healthy. Fair enough if they're under by so many calories etc. but then there's the possibility of them netting below 1,000 kcals etc.
And then, all too often in response to these completed diary entries, another person comments with something like, 'Well done' etc. and that really gets to me because how are they to know the extent of by how much under those calories were, and in turn by the amount of nutrients they're feeding their body...
(It's like such comments could be encouraging unhealthy, destructive behaviours...)

I'm not trying to criticise, nor am I trying to be overly nosy or anything. I'm just concerned for these such person/s health.

Okay Rant over.

But seriously, does anyone feel the same to me on this issue, or anything similar?
Thanks.

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yep, its a problem with this site. I also have friends who apologise for going a few calories over their daily allowance, and in these circumstances I always tell them that slightly over is better than slightly under. Saying that, if you look at my diaries I mostly appear under my allowance for the day, but I take into account that MFP over estimates calorie burns for most gym machines :smile: I think MFP should change the wording on when they post people's diaries for the day.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to put too much personal information out on the internet for the world to see, but I do open my diary to my MFP friends mostly for accountability. I've noticed my friends are nosy and that is good for me because it's another motivator for me to make healthier choices about my foods. When they tell me "well done", they've seen what I've actually accomplished with food and with exercise.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Totally agree - thats why I made mine public.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I usually just congratulate them on logging.
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Okay, so something's been getting to me recently.. And I feel the need to get this off my chest.
    There are some people on here who choose to not make their diary entries viewable to others, even with their friends added on here, and I respect that decision and everything. I'm aware that perhaps such a person would feel more comfortable with the added privacy etc.
    But what worries me is when their entry is completed for the day, and y'know it says that they were under their calorie allowance for that day...which is great I suppose. But I do worry 'cause I can't see by how much they're under, and whether it's really that healthy. Fair enough if they're under by so many calories etc. but then there's the possibility of them netting below 1,000 kcals etc.
    And then, all too often in response to these completed diary entries, another person comments with something like, 'Well done' etc. and that really gets to me because how are they to know the extent of by how much under those calories were, and in turn by the amount of nutrients they're feeding their body...
    (It's like such comments could be encouraging unhealthy, destructive behaviours...)

I'm not trying to criticise, nor am I trying to be overly nosy or anything. I'm just concerned for these such person/s health.

Okay Rant over.

But seriously, does anyone feel the same to me on this issue, or anything similar?
    Thanks.
    This rant about open diaries brought to you by a person with a closed diary
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed. For me, I don't need other people seeing what I'm eating. I am responsible to and for myself, and that's what works for me.
  • KailaJordan
    Options
    my calorie allowance a day is set to 1200 and most of the time i'm just under that. then, when i add any exercise i've done, it then takes it under again. i always thought i ate a lot, but i would find it really difficult to eat over 1200 unless i ate chocolate, crisps, cake etc, which obviously i'm not going to do everyday! i always make sure i have breakfast, lunch and dinner, including snacks, so i most definitely am eating often. i suppose it could be because the foods i do eat are quite low in calories. however, i would never intentionally try to eat less than 1200 because i am aware that my body would go into starvation mode and start storing it as fat. i also love food and would eat all the time if i could get away with it! :) it's all about attitude really. i'm pleased with myself when i complete a day of 1200 calories and after burning off a generous amount during exercise. i do feel i am doing it the right way, whereas attitudes towards eating as little calories as possible is not right and is seriously unhealthy.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think MFP should change the wording on when they post people's diaries for the day.

I agree with this. And I don't like it that the digits turn red either, even when you're over by 1 calorie. It makes me feel bad even though rationally I know it's no problem at all.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I hear ya but those are the people that will not listen to you if you commented on too low/too high/too unhealthy comments anyway, so why bother. I just do my thing and try not to be over concerned about the others, they are on their own journey and if it makes them feel good to lie to themselves you can't do anything about that.
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    I agree. I choose not to comment on these posts, as I don't know whether they have had a good healthy day or if they need a little encouragement/advice.

Opening my diary has definitely made me more accountable.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it can't just say that *user* was xxx calories over/under for the day, things would be much more transparent then without people having to open their diaries up.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Okay Rant over.

Thanks.

I also just noticed you diary is also private so I guess I am totally confused?
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Okay Rant over.

Thanks.

Her diary may be open to only her MFP friends.
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    I will usually post " hope you've had a great day". It recognizes the person without assuming anything.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options

Okay Rant over.

Thanks.

Perhaps her diary is only open to friends.
    I also worry when people are constantly congratulating one another for staying under. I have a few friends on here that have struggled with eating disorders, and it really concerns me when people give them positive reinforcement for eating way too little.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just concentrate on my own diary, and dont care whether by buddies are over or under their calorie goal, thats their business, not mine :)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    [[/quote] This rant about open diaries brought to you by a person with a closed diary
    [/quote]

ZING!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Not a prob with me. I am only responsible for ME and concentrating on my health.
    Now for those who look at my diary... I can only imagine in looking at it, there would be those screaming on too little calories etc etc, LOL but they dont know me or my situation.
    Yes I am now taking in approx 800 cals....and also takin my necessary vitamins daily. Surprise!! I am healthy and full of energy. I am followed by my doc, have regular bloodwork and guess what... I have NO deficiencies...and as the doc says.."am healthy as a horse".
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Okay Rant over.

Thanks.
    This rant about open diaries brought to you by a person with a closed diary

This specific rant was more to do with having friends that comment on their friend's closed diary entries. I have nothing against anyone who chooses to keep their entries closed.
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify that I only have my diary open to my MFP friends..