Protein shakes - attn parents

Options
Is it okay to let your kids drink protein drinks? I have a three year old who always want to drink them! I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not....

Replies

• minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    idk but I'm interested in the answer. bump
  • LosingFat4Gd
    Options
    My guess would be no - they have such high levels of protein. IE taking 2 shakes a day with healthy dinners I am over my recommended protein intake through MFP.
    I can only imagine for a child the recommended protein allowance would be a lot less.
    Maybe half a portion once a week or something as a treat.
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I dont know either but wanna know...BUMP!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It will give him angry, aggressive, violent mood swings.

Be careful!
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If my kids want a drink of mine I'm okay with it. I use a powder that has no artificial sugars or anything so it doesn't bother me. We don't eat meat daily so I don't think the extra protein hurts them.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Why not make some sort of fruit smoothie for your 3 yo when you're making up your protein shake?
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was curious myself. I am going to start taking them and I know my kids will bug me to drink some too.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely rely on your pediatrician for this information, and not MFP.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Be careful!

Before anybody flames me, I need to point out that that was sarcasm.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

^ This

What I can tell you though, when I make one for myself and my son wants some I make his own smoothie with frozen berries and whole milk, that way he thinks he is having what I am having, yet is getting something he needs anyway.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would NOT do that without consulting with your pediatrician. That could cause problems with one so small I would think.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

^ This

What I can tell you though, when I make one for myself and my son wants some I make his own smoothie with frozen berries and whole milk, that way he thinks he is having what I am having, yet is getting something he needs anyway.

This ^^ is a great idea.
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is ok or not for them to drink adult protein shakes but my kids wanted to mine also. I bought them Pediasure and sometimes make them fruit smoothies to give them when I have mine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My guess would be no - they have such high levels of protein. IE taking 2 shakes a day with healthy dinners I am over my recommended protein intake through MFP.
    I can only imagine for a child the recommended protein allowance would be a lot less.
    Maybe half a portion once a week or something as a treat.

FYI: MFP protein limits are extremely low
  • kasicrawford
    Options

Be careful!

Before anybody flames me, I need to point out that that was sarcasm.

Thanks! I was like really!! Lol
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'm not a doctor... just a mom of several. My third child was put on protein shakes when she was a year old for being underweight, so they can have their place...but I'd still run it by the doc. :)

*also want to add--she's a heart baby. They are often very small, so it wasn't that she was malnourished in any way. I definitely feed my children, and feed them well.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My sisters ex husband game them to his little boy all the time.
    He got FRIKKEN HUGE.
    Not like muscular huge, but you know, fat, but it wasn't normal fat, it was like sumo fat. :|
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    No, protein shakes not needed by and not good for the child.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

^^^^^ The absolute and definitive answer.