Help me!! I miss potato chips!!

Options

Replies

• Lilith47
    Lilith47 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Make some popcorn on a bit of coconut oil! I now like them more than chips!
    Or portion your chips, and don't eat more than the portion you took out!
    If you eat them once a week in a small portion it is still better than every day ;)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I may be the devil's advocate here, but nothing says you CAN'T have some so long as it fits into your daily calories.

Weigh out a serving of the chips and a serving of dip and count the calories. Plan for it with exercise. No biggie

Whatever you choose, stay strong!

I totally and completely agree with this!

Making certain foods off limits or putting them in a "no" or "bad" category is a recipe for binge eating. If you REALLY want the chips, have the serving size of the chips and dip. Log it in your food and move on with life.

This isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle change. This is your life - enjoy it!
  • NikkiPsuedoDupuis
    NikkiPsuedoDupuis Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I usually miss the salty/cheesy crunch. I eat Mwelba toast with light laughing cow cheese on it instead, seems to satisfy.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried making kale chips? They are crunchy delicious and loaded with vitamins. Make sure you use a lot less oil then they really call for and rub the washed, dried kale well with your fingers to coat a fine layer of oil on each leave. I do this in a large bowl before I break apart the leaves into smaller pieces because this step can get messy. These are the best crispy thing to replace your need for potato chips. Add seasoning if you like, steak seasoning anything that you think will taste good.

Ingredients

1 bunch kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
    Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

I hope this scratches the itch.
    All the best.

i do the kale chips too. they are crunchy and salty. i just use sea salt and pepper. sometimes garlic salt. whatever you want. at any rate, i agree with some of the posters to just have a small serving of chips. i'm not a big chip eater anyway so having a bag of them in the house is no big deal. but if chips are your kryptonite and you would eat the entire bag, the kale chips are a great alternative.
  • booyatribe
    Options
    i find that getting something salty can help. i eat eggs, with salt.
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Have you tried PopChips? You can get them at Target. They have different flavors and the chips are actually created by air pressure popping the potatoes. They are so yummy! I LOVE the BBQ flavor!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Special K Chips? I bought some as a potato chip substitute but I have not opened the box yet. I guess I don't miss the chips as much as I thought I would. :laugh:

These are excellent! They are 110 calories for 27 chips. They are very much like potato chips in flavor, crunch, and satisfaction. They have several flavors, including sour cream & onion.
  • LauraCee123
    LauraCee123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kettle Brand Baked Chips! They are the only thing that come close to regular chips, for me. This is because they are real sliced potatoes and not whatever mixture lays uses in their baked chips. And you get a big portion for only 120 calories! Their hickory bbq is delicious! and the regular ones are good too for a healthy dip. I don't have a recipe for that but i'm sure one would be easy to find on line. :)
  • ramon3
    ramon3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Special K cracker chips! They are delicious and have a variety of flavors. My favorite is probably the southwest ranch flavor with regular sea salt as a close second. 27 chips for about 110 calories.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Get sweet potato chips.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Special K Chips? I bought some as a potato chip substitute but I have not opened the box yet. I guess I don't miss the chips as much as I thought I would. :laugh:

I haven't bought them but a friend of mine had me try some, they're actually pretty good.
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I may be the devil's advocate here, but nothing says you CAN'T have some so long as it fits into your daily calories.

Weigh out a serving of the chips and a serving of dip and count the calories. Plan for it with exercise. No biggie

Whatever you choose, stay strong!

I agree! I know if I denied myself certain foods I would just want them all the more. I agree that while it's fun and satisfying to come up with healthy alternatives you can eat more often, now and then you just gotta eat the real thing! There are going to be times in your life where you are not going to be able to avoid these foods completely. Just factor it into your daily calories, and exercise more on the days you know you are likely to eat more. I do this at weekends, I always know they'll be a glass or two of wine, and maybe kettle chips (my achilles heel), so I just plan for it. It's also a good way of learning to control and modify your new lifestyle choices/eating behaviours - if you can have a small amount now and again of something you find delicious, without binging and eating the whole bag, and still lose weight/maintain weight, well - by my measure - that's success!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    call them up I am sure they miss you too :bigsmile:
  • monharri
    monharri Posts: 78
    Options
    i eat popchips which are really low in calories. i also eat ketcher's baked potato chips with sea salt. low in calories too. i might eat a bag once a week or two weeks.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Try the kellogs special k chips. They are awesome and low in cals!
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love veggie chips!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you can control how much you eat, go ahead as others have said and have a serving. However, if you are like me and it will start you down a slippery slope, DON'T DO IT!! You are the only one that knows if you can control the amount or be a "noone can eat just one" person.
  • littleneck
    Options
    my husband slices real potatoes,very thin,on a mandolin. he then cooks them till crisp in the microwave(watch carefully,they cook fast!) sprays them with no cal butter spray and salt-they are great!
  • Eviesnonni
    Options
    I recently ordered the Pampered Chef slicer and chip baker. You take one potato and slice it very thin then put the slices on the baking sheet exclusively for the homemade chips, microwave and you have homemade potato chips! Only 120 calories per potato. I strongly urge you to try it!!
  • mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use Kim's Magic Pops and Hummus for my "chip and dip" everyone that has tried them from me loves them! 15 calories for one pop that is the size of a soft taco tortilla.