Officer shot in the line of duty

Options

Replies

• bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This was a really nice post being married to an officer it really hits home. Though you could have done without the whole "despite cops being corrupt" thing.

Way to show your respect. That was comment was extremely disrespectfull.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    This was a really nice post. Very touching. Very sad as well. :( I hope the drunk man gets what he deserves.

Texas does the death penalty right?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    This was a really nice post being married to an officer it really hits home. Though you could have done without the whole "despite cops being corrupt" thing.

I said they CAN be. Not all of them, and not all the time. I think cops get a bad rap (at least here they do) and a lot of people I know don't like the police. Re-read what I said, you'll see I was defending police officers.
  • amiehampton29
    Options
    Love this. :) This happened in my hometown (in TEXAS of course) for a soldier last month and a few months ago for a fallen firefighter. It is wonderful to see that people still appreciate those who risk their lives for us daily!

Bluefever - I know Mere and she was not attempting to be disrespectful. Just trying to remind people that even though you hear of corruption in law enforcement, that most officers are out there doing their jobs and protecting us. Take a deep breath and calm down.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    This was a really nice post. Very touching. Very sad as well. :( I hope the drunk man gets what he deserves.

Texas does the death penalty right?

We do, but not as liberally as people would assume. A drunk guy who shot an officer probably won't get the death penalty...that's more reserved for pre-meditated murder.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My father was a police officer in Michigan during the Detroit riots in the 1960s before I was born. Then we moved to Florida where he was undercover narcotics. When one of their own was killed, every single county sent at least one representative to the funeral. The dress blues are always impressive, but it was always equally moving to see how many "civilians" showed up just to silently pay their respects. Yes, there are "bad" cops. But there are so many more good ones. My dad once told me that the most dangerous part of the job was actually traffic stops, statistically speaking.
  • jwkime
    jwkime Posts: 37
    Options
    As a wife of a police officer, thank you for posting. Few people know what risks they take everyday in both large cities and small towns. Even in a small town in the midwest my husband has run into burning buildings to pull people to safety and had guns pulled on him during confrontations. My heart goes out to the family and the law enforcement community. May they have peace.
  • bankstisha
    bankstisha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Prayers to this mans family, community and brothers/sisters in blue!
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    That is so sad! I hope his family and friends find peace in what a respectful person he was and how proud everyone is of him! This picture will speak volumes for a long time. :)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options

I don't believe the OP was being disrespectful at all. I believe that most people will agree that there are corrupt police officers, but the majority are not. The OP said "some" officers, not all.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    My father was a police officer in Michigan during the Detroit riots in the 1960s before I was born. Then we moved to Florida where he was undercover narcotics. When one of their own was killed, every single county sent at least one representative to the funeral. The dress blues are always impressive, but it was always equally moving to see how many "civilians" showed up just to silently pay their respects. Yes, there are "bad" cops. But there are so many more good ones. My dad once told me that the most dangerous part of the job was actually traffic stops, statistically speaking.

SO true about the traffic stops and routine calls. Because in narcotics and things like that, you KNOW you're going up against guys with guns, so you know to expect it. When you get a "drunk and disorderly" call at the WalMart at 2:30 am, you're not expecting to run into a guy with a gun. It takes a lot of balls to put yourself in that kind of danger every day, definitely more balls than I've got!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Meredith,

There are no other occupations that show as much support for their comrades as Police Officers. My Step-Father was killed in the line of duty July 7, 2010 and know first hand the overwhelming outpouring of love from the Police community and the public as well. The hurt never goes away but neither does the support from the Police....They are amazing people!!!!!

-Rob Carpp

Coming from a family of police (my father and both grandfathers were police), this is very true. Cops look out for their own and when someone is killed or harmed, they are like extended family.
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OK fine, she didn't mean to be. I just think it put a sour note on the post. Point taken.

Our department has been lucky, we haven't lost an office in the line of duty since 1987.
  • amiehampton29
    Options
    OK fine, she didn't mean to be. I just think it put a sour note on the post. Point taken.

Our department has been lucky, we haven't lost an office in the line of duty since 1987.

That's very lucky! We have lost several in and around my town. It's always heartbreaking. And Kudos to you for being married to a police officer. I know that has to be very challenging and stressful. Best wishes:flowerforyou:
  • amiehampton29
    Options
    I am a US Soldier so I can really appreciate this. They deserve the respect also for going out doing what they do. Great pic.

Thank you for your service!:flowerforyou:
  • SiouxsieQue
    SiouxsieQue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a moment.

There is good and bad in all areas of life but we have to remember that good people exist, in spite of all the news we read. There are far more good people than we ever read or hear about. This story just breaks my heart.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    God Bless our men and women who brave the streets to keep up protected. I mean all the police, fire, soldiers and everyone willing to put their life on the line to make us safe.

My heart goes out to you all!
  • egiakatt
    egiakatt Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    God Bless our men and women who brave the streets to keep up protected. I mean all the police, fire, soldiers and everyone willing to put their life on the line to make us safe.

My heart goes out to you all!

THIS!
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meredith for your post. It was very moving to see our city support our fallen officer and his family. My heart goes out to the Padron's and all my friends in APD. For all of you who are in law enforcement or have family members that are, thank you and we appreciate what you do.
  • KatesBadAss
    KatesBadAss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The other morning a local police officer, Jaime Padron was shot in the chest (his bulletproof vest protected him) and neck at a WalMart store here in Austin. He was responding to a call about a drunk man inside the store at about 2:30 am, and the moment the suspect saw Officer Padron, he pulled out his gun and fired on him. Padron didn't even have time to draw his own gun, and died immediately. Fortunately, the suspect didn't get away, as the WalMart employees tackled the guy and waited for more police to show up.

Yesterday, this was the scene on busy I-35 in the middle of Austin during the funeral procession for Officer Padron. This picture captures it so well, but seeing it in person was just incredible. The entire city stopped yesterday and people were pulled over on overpasses, out of their cars, just standing and watching and honoring this fallen officer. It was a really moving time. Officer Padron left behind a wife and 2 daughters, ages 10 and 6. Despite how corrupt police can be and how there are some bad officers, remember, these men and women risk their lives every single day to keep us safe. So policemen and women, hats off to you guys today, and thank you for what you do!!

Padron.jpg?t=1334239551

As a fellow Texan, American and daughter of a retired Dallas Police Officer, I am moved to tears. Reminds us that life is too short. Go hug your parents and tell 'em you love them.
    God bless America.