Where's the love... Don't be offended

Options
123457»

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest, I didn't read all of it... I kind of get a little ADD like when there is a bunch of text and I honestly can't focus... but I think I get the gist of what you were saying and I believe that I agree with you...

My personal belief is this... that yes, homosexuality is a sin... simply because God stated it as such in the old laws.... HOWEVER, that does not mean that I get to hate, judge, shun, otherwise not show love to a person who says they are gay... Why? Because I too am a sinner... I too have sin in my life... I am a glutton... I wouldn't be here if I weren't... I am slothful more often than not... again, I wouldn't be here if I weren't... The example that Christ showed was to NOT cast stones at those that sin, even if we are without sin... Just like I don't accept my own sins (again, if I did I wouldn't be here) I don't accept the sins of others as well... HOWEVER, I do tolerate them just like others tolerate mine... None of us is perfect, none of us is righteous... so what gives us the right to act in such a way. It is between God and the individual on the repentance of sin and since I am no where in that equation, I have no idea how far away or close to God someone is to make any sort of judgement on their life... and even if I were, I would have to be totally cleansed of my own sin before I could make any judgement on anyone else's.. for any reason.... and to be honest, that's probably not going to happen until after I have died and been judged by God.

BTW: I loathe and dispise Westboro Baptist Church.... and am extremely glad that the SBC has choosen to not recognize them in the Convention.

I am not disrespecting you or your religion, don't get me wrong.

But the whole 'God condemning homosexuality thing' is a bit confusing to me. It's from a section of the bible that also condemns working on Sabbath and playing with the skin of a pig, yet nobody makes a fuss about those rules.

This picture sums it up for me, really;

facebook-smackdown.jpg

Homosexuality is not only condemned in the Old Testament, it is also condemned in the New, outside of the book of Laws that few Christians follow. FYI.

http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4R_Articles/homosexuality.html

I can pull up more links if you like.

My point is... we all sin... we all have sin in our lives... and it's wrong for me (or anyone else) as a human being (and especially as a Christian) to judge and condemn others because of their sin. But we can get into the minute semantics all day long if you would like.

Oh, although I am atheist, I see where you're coming from! I wasn't singling you out, or anything. I'm not advocating getting into semantics, it's just my point is; if we're going to pick and choose what things are sinful enough to warrent affecting people's lives, we should at least point to all of them. Because, at the end of the day, in my mind at least, homosexuality is as sinful as women not covering their head.

Except you basically just said what I just said. Only I used the "7 deadly sins" as an example for myself. How I can I judge a homosexual in their sin, when my sins of gluttony and sloth are just as bad in God's eyes?

And as a side note, it is my belief that many of the sins that God outlined in the old testament (and even in the New) were things that either a) tried to protect the Israelites from disease and sickness or b) to visually set apart the Israelites from everyone else so there was no question who they worshiped and prayed too.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I believe that as long as there are people in the planet, they will have opinions. Opinions just about everything, and their opinions are based on their beliefs. I'm a Christian my Bible says that my Savior does not judge and I should not judge. I deal with the emotions of Homosexuals and with emotions of others it is my opinion that many other Christians let their passion take the best out of them. In doing so they no longer listen to their Master. They become judgmental!! That is a danger because when the emotions run high and people live by those emotions they no longer minister (Serve) those that need them, other Christians in need, and Non Christians in need. By the way Homosexual are not the only ones that get loss in the emotional battle, there are others like those that are severely mentally ill. I won't lower my standards but I not going to stop being a Christian because of my standards. Finally Jesus is love as a Christian I don't have a choice I have to Love.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I can look past all the other stuff but women not covering your head.... now that's just wrong

Agreed
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    While I know this post is not about being gay, my best friend is gay. He is the kindest, sweetest, most giving person in this world. He would give the shirt off his back to you in a time of need. He is awesome.

I think people need to stop being so judgemental of others. Everyone has their reason for being who they are. I personally come from an alcoholic home. Beaten, mentally abused until I was 18, and moved out and got married at 19 to escape it. I use my past as a reason to embrace others and to love others. While there are days when I think some people are thoughtless, my overall philosophy is that if you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Gay, straight, emo, goth, black, white, whatever.....we are all on this earth to help each other.

Love one another, it's that simple. Blessings to you all.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I can look past all the other stuff but women not covering your head.... now that's just wrong

Agreed

Buahahahaha!!!
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian, and it does seriously anger me to see these Westboro people claiming such irradical statements. God LOVES everyone. Is he happy with all the decisions we make? No. I know he's unhappy with many of the decisions I have made in my lifetime.

1 John 4:12
    "No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."

The scripture I just posted isn't mean to push my beliefs on anyone. It is merely a statement to show, that yes, love is key. We can not claim to be a Christian but pursue hate. You can't claim any sort of religion, but pursue hatred. Because as whoever the orginial poster of this is stated, most religions have key bases in love and kindness and friendship.

How do I feel about "gay" people. I don't feel any different than if they were straight. I will love you for who you are now. I may not support you, ie. attend gay rallies, but I will love you.

I am so glad I took the time to read this post. I believe we need to start a LOVE REVOLUTION!!!!
    To everyone on here, I love you, sincerely love you :heart:
  • lauraashley85
    lauraashley85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJr62wTMVy4-nM0qSWg2_Q2c7LequtYCMJquAsNm8LwsBcQ1HNAEB9dDdENQ

This is very ignorant. What is the point of posting something like this?
  • babigurl86
    babigurl86 Posts: 138
    Options
    Holy mother of God, wall of text alert!

lmao,a worthwhile read though.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I have someone very near to me who just came out as being gay. I am more determined to show him love now because he is in such a vulnerable state. When I found out, I wasn't shocked, it was more like a lightbulb went on, "this explains a lot of things in his life," and really I think he claims to be agnostic as a preemptive strike against those in the Christian community who say God doesn't love him. I think he doesn't believe in the people of God, and that's pretty sad.
    He's so defensive and trying to offend people to scare them off, I kind of want to tell him to back off, because people won't be hating him for being gay, just for being an obnoxious jerk. But I know it's his defense reflex, so I let it go.

This whole article really points out the need in our souls for unconditional love from someone who knows everything about us, but still wants to be our friend. And guess what? God does that, He DIED for the opportunity to be your friend! If we go to Him as we are, He will worry about sanding off the rough edges, and we just need to learn more about Him through solid teaching, reading His word and prayer.

As a Christian, I have also been treated differently for my beliefs. In debate groups on here, my opinions and website links are discounted simply because my "religion is clouding my judgment", like your atheism isn't clouding yours??

And when we are meeting new people, or talking with someone on a plane, and someone asks my husband what he does for a living, and he answers "I'm an associate pastor", people will either instantly rattle off their history of church attendance and make excuses as to why they haven't gone in years (which we find kind of funny, fyi: we don't care, he doesn't have a sermon prepared just for you), or they'll flat out turn around and ignore us. Sometimes they'll go oh yeah, huh? And change the subject or once in a blue moon they will ask a follow up question, like you would in any other conversation. And that's refreshing. :-)
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

I'm guessing the length of it scared him or he's one of those homophobes.

Ether way, it doesn't matter because even ignorant people need love :grumble:
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

I think he posted it because it was funny...I laughed outloud when I scrolled past it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I think he posted it because it was funny...I laughed outloud when I scrolled past it.

I'm pretty sure it was posted because this was a huge TL;DR post. Honestly I didn't read the whole thing either. Just too much text about the same thing. If I can summarize the entire thing in less then a paragraph then too many words were used.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options

It is hilarious. Get over it.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    These posts are against the forum rules and will probably be deleted.
    Frankly, I've read this before and it's boring.
    Each to their own.

That was not necessary. P
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    These posts are against the forum rules and will probably be deleted.
    Frankly, I've read this before and it's boring.
    Each to their own.

That was not necessary. P

I agree Grab that kid from the pic above and lets burn the complainers!!!