work out virgin!

so i dont work out!
i walk alot!
im not about to be running around the streets with my boobs flapping about everywhere, impaling small children with my floppy arms and sweating at the end of the road

i would love to be a running kind of person but that's for the distant future!!

so what exercises do you advise? i tried a you tube workout video earlier and it was OK. im not very coordinated and i don't wanna have to do all my exercise in front of my laptop in the kitchen lol

all suggestions welcome! especially the quirky ones

but bare in mind i am a fat girl and i do have giant boobs that get in the way!!

Replies

• Des0528
    Des0528 Posts: 81 Member
    I'm right there with ya! I don't exercise but I really want to tone up! Hopefully someone has some good "beginners" workouts...
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Can you turn your walks into hikes? Distance/height can make it really challenging, and anyone can do it. I love pilates and yoga. Good workout without a lot of jumping around (which I cannot do because of my bad feet). Swimming is gentle on the joints and great exercise as well.
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    a mfp suggested to me walk away the pounds with leslie sansone and I found them online I got two video's for 17.99 I think and you can do that in your home under the air conditioning lol.. They are low impact and you can work your way up.. Its starts with a one mile and works up from there. I love them!!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 453 Member
    There is a whole universe of DVD available from beginner to advance. Check out www.collagevideo.com. You can preview clips of all the videos. Then see if your local library has them.

I'm a fat girl and I love to workout. I do DVDs at least 6 days a week.
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Running is a great way to get that cardiovacular work out. If you do want to try it then I suggest a good walk run program. It really worked for me when I tore my ankle ligaments and was getting back to fitness:

Week one: Walk for six minutes, then jog at an easy pace for one minute. Repeat three times. Aim for three sessions with that same sequence for week one.

Week two: Walk for five minutes, then jog for two minutes. Repeat three times. Aim to do three sessions in week two.

Week three: Walk for three minutes, then jog for four minutes. Repeat four times. Aim for three sessions in week three.

Week four: Walk for two minutes, then jog for five minutes. Repeat four times. Shoot for three of those sessions in week four.

Week five: Walk for two minutes, then jog for eight minutes. Repeat three times. Do three of those sessions in week five.

Week six: Walk for two minutes, then jog for nine minutes. Repeat three times. Try to do three sessions for week six.

Week seven: Walk for one minute, then jog for 11 minutes. Repeat three times. Do three sessions this week.

Week eight: Congratulations on making it to week eight! For your first run this week, try walking for five minutes to begin and end the workout, and run for 20 minutes in between. By the end of the week, try to run for 30 minutes without stopping.
  • nmmoore1979
    nmmoore1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Couch25k--best thing I ever did 3 years ago. It took me from literally jogging 60 seconds at a time to a 5k in 10 weeks. the program is for 8 weeks, but it took me longer. Half way through, I found an easy 5k to moviate me and now three years later I have done numerous 5k, and even two triathons!

Of course I'm still over weight, but I can consider myself a runner and don't feel embarassed or like an idiot. I CAN DO IT! :)

Google it--there are apps galore to help you too.

GOOD LUCK!
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    im not very coordinated haha i tend to just stand in front of the tv marching lol
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Zumba. At least ao I'm told. I'm going for the first time in a couple of weeks, so you go first and then you can tell me whether it's seriously embarrassing or not, LOL
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Zumba or Couch 2 5k are the best to do
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Weight training :) You can perform it at whatever intensity you're comfortable with, there is no upper weight or size limit and if you get a couple of dumbbells you can do a fairly good routine at home.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    I agree w/ the previous poster Couch to 5K (C5K) is a great beginner's workout. Also to start w/ interval walk/jog got me into running again. For example 30 sec walk 30 sec jog and then increase to 1 min and so on. I would also have a distance in mind with the intervals. Maybe shoot for 1-2 miles to begin with then add distance over time. You can still get a great workout walking & jogging. Another popular workout on here is Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred DVD or iTunes/Amazon download, which has 3 levels (25 min each) and incorporate hand weights you can do at home.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    If you are into workout DVDs, Jillian Michaels has some great ones. I have 30 Day Shred and Biggest Loser Power Sculpt for strength training. I also do yoga, belly dancing, and pilates to mix it up along with C25K.

Power Sculpt is great for a beginner because it has 3 levels. Start with level 1 and when that is easy you move up to 2 then 3. No coordination needed, just focus and motivation. Same with 30 Day Shred.

Keep the walking up too. Its great cardio. Add in powerwalking or jogging intervals to increase your burn.
  • princessruthiebelle
    Weight training :) You can perform it at whatever intensity you're comfortable with, there is no upper weight or size limit and if you get a couple of dumbbells you can do a fairly good routine at home.

i know NOTHING about weight training!
    would it still get rid of the fat bits??
  • LaurieMaynard
    LaurieMaynard Posts: 18 Member
    Get a bike!!! It's a great workout and fun! Hiking, as mentioned above, is also another great idea. I would especially stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and start focusing on what you need to do for yourself! Floppy boobs, or not, get out there and get healthy! I was always concerned about people looking at me funny as I'm trying to jog down the street too (I'm not a runner, but am trying to be), but then I realized that when I see someone heavy, or slow, or struggling in any way, the only thing that I think of is "good for them!!" It's great to see that someone is getting out there no matter what the obstacle's and they are making it happen for themselves! Best of all, you'll feel great about yourself for doing it! Results don't come without effort. "A body in motion, stays in motion". My favorite quote is: "No matter how slow you go you are still lapping those who are sitting on the couch!". Sweating is a good thing!!

Good luck!!
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    I started out using an elliptical because I wanted cardio, but was not ready physically or mentally for running. Once I felt ready/able to run I moved on to Couch25K. I would recommend you find something you enjoy and do it on a regular basis. Once you start building strength and endurance you will feel more confident about trying new things.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member

Everyone has to start somewhere. And most definitely.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member

It's better for tightening things up than steady state cardio. You can learn everything you need at www.bodybuilding.com > Super Site > exercises. Just get a couple of dumbbells - start at a weight you're comfy with and go from there.
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    i found zumba good- great fun and you move everything!
    i can only jog for about 2 mins so far but im working on changing that with couch 25 k. must get a god sports bra first!!!:bigsmile:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    while I understand you dont want to start running yet, I would like to say that at any weight you can start running. Walking itself is an amazing workout too and many people I know who have successfully lost 100+ lbs have done a big chunk via simply walking. I am going to copy/paste some workouts I posted in another thread. These are for boxers but its an amazing workout and makes alot of your muscles work

ou can do ALOT of good workouts at home and without equipments. I'll give you an example of a routine. Please excuse me since I dont know the names of most of these workouts

1) sit on the floor with your legs wide open and start punching the air. Do this for about 2-3 minutes non-stop. Make sure your back in 90 degrees to the floor and your toes are pointing up

2) pushups. Lots of them. I do about 25 in a row

3) More punching in the air while sitting on the floor for 2-3 minutes

4) lay down on the floor completely with your back about 1-2 inches above the floor and your thighs at a 90 degree angle to the floor while your legs are horizontal to the floor. Start moving the legs like you're riding a bike. About 1 minutes

5) jumping jacks. I do about 25

6) Now, you're doing more punching in air except this time instead of sitting, you're standing and basically jogging at a spot while punching. About 2-3 more minutes

7) Another session of jumping jack

8) More air punching while still jogging

9) This round, stand straight, bend over perpendicular while touching your abs with both hands, bend over some more and touch your toes (or try to in my case). Get back to the perpendicular position to touch your abs again, stand up straight with your hands above your head while standing on your toes

10) more punching in air while jogging

11) wind mill: Spread legs, bend over and try to touch one of your toes with the opposite side hand (try to touch your right legs toes with your left hand and vice versa). I do about 50+ of these.

Done. Do as many sets of these are you like. This is what I do alot before I start boxing. Theres a bunch of workouts I also do that're purely for abs (boxers need strong abs). We basically do different ab workouts for over 15 minutes.

This is just part of my workout I do on my hard workout days, theres alot more and I dont mind sharing more workouts if you'd like
  • princessruthiebelle
    i found zumba good- great fun and you move everything!
    i can only jog for about 2 mins so far but im working on changing that with couch 25 k. must get a god sports bra first!!!:bigsmile:

haha definitely!! or 4!!