How to use ground chia seeds and ground flaxseed?

Options
Like the title says I need some ideas of how to eat ground chia seeds and ground flaxseed.

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds do not need to be ground. I use mine in yogurt, am cereals, and oatmeal.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You can make a gel out of chia seeds and use them as a replacement for eggs in recipes...
  • mhotch
    Options
    You can make a gel out of chia seeds and use them as a replacement for eggs in recipes...

I did not know that. Thanks!
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have flaxseed but no grinder. So far, I've used it to make protein pancake and just mix it in my oatmeal.
    Can I treat it like sesame seed and cook with my chicken+broccoli combo? haha. I tried one time to just swallow flaxseed with water. IT was HORRIBLE. .
  • Pipergirl2
    Options
    I use flax seed in most everything....I put it in my hamburgers, turkey burger or meatloaf, I use it with bread crumbs to coat chicken or fish, I mix it with my yogurt, I put it in my sandwiches and wraps. Not sure about the chia seeds, although I do remember seeing a few ideas in a recent Oxygen magazine. Hope that helps!
  • mhotch
    Options
    I have flaxseed but no grinder. So far, I've used it to make protein pancake and just mix it in my oatmeal.
    Can I treat it like sesame seed and cook with my chicken+broccoli combo? haha. I tried one time to just swallow flaxseed with water. IT was HORRIBLE. .

I am not sure you get all the nutritional benefits without grinding the flax seed. Taken them whole, its only good as a laxative, or so I have read. That's why I switched over to chia seeds. Same type of nutritional benefits, without all the work. And I believe that chia seeds don't spoil as easily as flax seeds do.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Ground flax can be added to smoothies, cereal, peanut butter, or anything you like. They have a pleasant nutty taste, so you can use them in literally anything.