Replies

• sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Maybe something like Stronglifts 5x5 or NROLFW would be a better start for you?

This program is pretty similar to the StrongLift 5x5 program I just started on Monday.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Hey there! Today I am beginning my attempts to "lift heavy" and start building muscle in addition to losing fat.
    I looked online for a good workout schedule, do any of you more experienced people think this looks like an effective workout?

Workout A
    3x5 barbell squats
    3x5 dumbbell bench press
    1x5 barbell dead lift
    2x8 dumbbell decline bench press
    3x5 incline sit-ups (weighted)
    3x8 hyperextensions or superman

Workout B
    3x5 barbell squats
    3x5 dumbbell overhead press (sit)
    3x5 bent-over rows
    3x5 incline sit-ups (weighted)
    3x8 hyperextensions or superman

Alternating workout A and B for each day, with some additional cardio.
    Does this looks like it will get results? The reps just seem pretty low to me, but then again, I've never done this. Some of them use dumbbells instead of a barbell like most would use because I want to be able to do this all on my own.
    Also, can i continue eating a calorie deficit, or will this defeat the purpose?
    DO NOT DO THIS EVERYDAY!!!

If you are doing and A B breakdown do it at most 3 days/week M, W, F, so week 1 you do M -A, W -B, F -A, then week 2 you do M-B, W-A, F-B. If you do this everyday your muscle will not have time to repair, which is when you make strength and muscle size gains.

Agree. 3 days a week is best for a beginner.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Thank you for the advice about not doing this every day. Can I do cardio on the days i'm not lifting. Or, what is a good way to incorporate cardio?

I'd do cardio the other days of the week or add it at the END of your lifting workout. Not before because you will tire yourself out for lifting.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Jamie Eason LiveFit on bodybuilding.com would also be a good starting point.

Yes and yes and yes.
  • aj_31
    Options

Jamie Eason LiveFit on bodybuilding.com would also be a good starting point.

Yes and yes and yes.

I thought Jamie Eason's plan was good and I was in Phase 2 but spending an hour plus each day in the gym 6 days a week because a little much. Just be aware that her program takes a lot of time to finish as you progress in it.