Workouts for 300+ lbs

Options

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Get on the cybex arc. Set it to you weighing 50 pounds and no incline and do as much as you can. Work your way up and always keep improving and stay hydrated
  • zsesteacher
    zsesteacher Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try the walk at home videos...they're awesome...good luck
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yoga DVD for beginners
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I know how you feel! I feel lost sometimes. I just know I have to get up and moving, so I do the Wii Fit and walk. And next week I start at the gym and add some strength training. All this, on my own! Good luck to you and journey!
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    BUMP, for hubby
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Chair exercises are awesome. When I was over 300 lbs I would walk maybe 15 to 20 minutes and when it was too cold outside I would do the Walk at Home DVDs. I would also dance (my version of dancing, swaying, moving my feet a bit). But any movement definitely helps. I didn't start jogging until I had lost the first 50 lbs because I do have knee problems (my doc was not happy!)
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Try Leslie Sansone walk dvd's. She will have you walking 5mph in no time andvworking upper body too, to get you fit enough to start looking at oher higher impact vids.

^^^^This! I LOVE walking with Leslie Sansone! I also have a pilates dvd..but can't remember the name of it! I'm 262.8 now! :)
  • mickeylg
    mickeylg Posts: 5
    Options
    Walking up and down stairs is insanely hard, but a phenomenal workout. Going up and down a single flight is enough to get a solid burn if you do them as quick as you can. Start with 5-7 times in a row (take the way down plus about a minute of rest between), and then work your way up!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Fit workout videos.
    You can get them for under 10$ at Walmart and they are an EXCELLENT workout! Low impact and they will have you sweating like crazy!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    walking is what i started on i was over 300 lbs,you build up stamina very fast and it burns good cals
    x
    good luck x
  • arshness
    arshness Posts: 60
    Options
    Swimming and walking.

Walking is low impact and I can tolerate it to a degree.
    Swimming is best. I can swim all I want and it wears me out but doesn't hurt. :)
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    walk away the pounds,Water Aerobics, Walking in General
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking. not running because of my weight and the knees. but lots of brisk walking.
    when the weather is good take it outdoors for a change of scenery. research local walking trails, mall walking or walk at a high school track. Check out your local community center to see what discounted fitness options they have available. Mine does

I also love, love, love zumba. Check out youtube for free clips.

here are some of my favs:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LarissaZumbaCO

http://www.youtube.com/user/AndreaSunshine77
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds"
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would suggest walking, and pool time, which gives resistance without high impact. Also, even lifting soup cans to get some weights in would be helpful. At this point you're really just looking for movement.
  • diadori
    diadori Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the great ideas!
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    you need to contact a couple of people first: one being a doctor to ensure what your current health is. Once you get his or her recommendations then see a nutritionist to ensure you have the right schedule. Aa a personal trainer I would tell you to start slow, low impact exercises. Cardio start with walking, of course this is after the intial assestment to see where your physical fitness level is.

You will need someone that will ensure you are eating right, exercsing right (walking with you and so on) that will be there as your supportive role. Once you build your physical fitness and lower the weight you can increase to other exercises.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I started out EXACTLY where you are. Just walk, girl. Walk, walk, walk. As fast as you can, as far as you can. If you walk fast and it gets tiring, then slow down for a few minutes, then pick up the pace again. This will help your active recovery - the amount of time it takes you to catch your breath/slow your heart rate down.

I also highly recommend dancing around your living room in your underwear like a crazy person. Who cares if you can't dance? Just move.

Eventually, you'll get to the point where you can do more. Until then, just move.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Walking
    Swimming
    Leslie Sansone walking workouts would be a GREAT start for you. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about $9-$10. It's a little harder than just plain walking because she will add in some arm movements, or different step movements, but it's perfect for someone who isn't ready to do other workouts yet. You don't need any weights or anything else with it.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What area do you live in? If you have good size hills near you, you could walk up and down a hill (basically a type of interval). It would give you a way to ramp up the intensity without going too high impact. Stairs would also be another option.

I do some box squats, and those can be a good deal easier than full squats. You could maybe try those out unweighted (at first). Try to find a chair or solid surface that's just at or below parallel (parallel means your hip crease is below the top of your kneecap). If you can't hit parallel at first, use a higher surface and gradually decrease the height of the surface over time until you can.

Here's a good article on Box Squats. Just ignore the stuff about the barbell at first until you're ready to incorporate weights.
    http://stronglifts.com/build-explosive-strength-how-to-perform-box-squats/