BMI....What a lie!

Options
I wasn't sure which board to put this under...but I wanted to at least put it out there. How much weight should I actually be losing? If I go by my BMI it says that a healthy weight for me is something like 155 pounds. I really don't know where that number would actually put me. I know that muscle is heavier than fat...so it's possible to be "over weight" and still be healthy, but which should I be? As it stands right now I want to lose at least another 20lbs to put me at 165. HELP!!!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't lying, it's just misunderstood. It was intended to be applied to populations, and it works pretty well for that. It is not accurate for individuals - if you are the average person, it makes a good rough guide, but that's as far as it goes. You are much better off going by your body fat percentage, or just by how you look and feel at a certain weight.
  • mischief1on1
    Options
    SSSOOOOOO True!

BMI is junk!

I recommend going to your doctor. I was at 313 pounds and 5'-4" hieght and went to my doctor expecting him to say 130 lbs.

My docotor said - based on your bone mass and your genetics for muscle you're looking at 170 to 180 as your goal weight.

I about fell on the floor.

So I recommned seeing a professional because based on BMI at 170 I will be considered obese.

19372015.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    mate forget BMI, what an out dated load of bollocks!
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I dont believe in BMI on sites. According to the BMI I am always obese or overweight. I checked a second site didnt like hearing that and I am a healthy weight. I prefer wait to hear what the doctor will say
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    If you can, find and focus on your BF%.
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    my BMI says i'm obese... i wear a size 7/9 juniors jeans... i'm not obese i just have a lot of muscle in my legs and but instead of fat.
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    mate forget BMI, what an out dated load of bollocks!

not so much out dated. a few years ago the BMI scale was updated... this happened and the so called obesity ep[idemic started... people didnt get any bigger over night previously healthy people were considered over weight and so on. they lowered the weight classifications. it's just a bunch of BS.
  • SueStubbs
    SueStubbs Posts: 17
    Options
    For me I don't worry about it! Ive lost 25lbs as of right now. Havent been this weight for about 6 yrs
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't lying, it's just misunderstood. It was intended to be applied to populations, and it works pretty well for that. It is not accurate for individuals - if you are the average person, it makes a good rough guide, but that's as far as it goes. You are much better off going by your body fat percentage, or just by how you look and feel at a certain weight.

This. It's a statistic. I never put much stock in it because I have a large frame and hold weight well, so when it said I was obese, other people wouldn't even call me fat, just "a few extra pounds" or some nicer euphemism. I never thought the numbers there were realistic for me because I was never within them. However, I'm starting to think they are more reasonable, since I have reached the upper limit of normal bmi and still see where I have another 10 pounds to lose. I would have to lose muscle or get an unhealthy bf% to get to the lower side of normal, but I don't think that aiming for the upper limit of normal is a bad goal for people starting out. Especially with men, once they are more trained they will probably have too much muscle for normal, but again, I don't think it's a bad goal for starting out. You can always re evaluate on the way and even stop early of there's a different weight that makes you happy.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Absolutely this^^
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm ignorning BMI and going with what I need to lose to feel healthy, look good, and be happy. I saw a weight loss physician, and of course they threw BMI out there, but it's a pretty narrow ruler, and I think all the factors of your life & health should be considered.
  • colalady1
    Options
    You go by what you feel. According to charts and BMI I should be between 120-159. I used to be around 180 and looked and felt good. Any lower than that my face looks sickly thin. I go by how I feel and my blood work every six months will tell the whole picture. Trust your instincts.
  • colalady1
    Options
    You are absolutely right. According to my BMI I should lose 121 pounds and I know I look sickly when I get under 180. Especially since I am 5'7" tall. I go by the way I look, how I feel and my blood work results every six months. I am due to have my next test in June so I will find out if the weight I am losing is helping. I have lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks so far.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    BMI is a complete waste....... When I started I weighed 560 lbs. and had a BMI of 74...... (They don't even list I guy my size on that chart) and today I am currently 23 lbs. lighter than when I played defensive end my senior year of football back in 88.... And my BMI is now 33.64 which says: Individuals with a BMI of 30-34.99 are in a physically unhealthy condition, which puts them at risk for serious ilnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, gall bladder disease, and some cancers. Take a look at my picture below, and tell me if this BMI crap holds any weight??? lol

2012-03-31_08-27-41_160.jpg
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Does not work for a vast segment of the population...

based on BMI charts on my height I should weigh about 135 in order not to be considered overweight by BMI standards - problem is I have had my body fat tested and my lean body mass was calculated out to be about 130 lbs - so for me a good goal weigh is actually about 160....

My sister who is a good 3 inches taller than me, fit as all get out with nice abs is considered overweight by the BMI charts....
  • rsouthland
    Options
    When I was in the Marine Corps back in 89-93, I was constantly "over weight" at 180 pounds, lean and mean. I was officially on the fat body program which meant an extra 3 mile run every day during our lunch break, after 3-5 miles that morning with everyone else. The Marine Corps at that time used the standard BMI scale. Based on my height I should have been 165-170. Trust me, I'm gaunt at that weight. Way to damn skinny. Even the Corps didn't take into consideration my muscle when I was forced to step on the scale.

I certainly wouldn't worry to much about your BMI. Base it on how you feel, your appearance.
  • angie_sample
    Options
    Dont focus on BMI. I've lost 71 pounds my BMI is still in the obese range but my Body fat % is in the overweight category. I have a lot of muscle therefore BMI isnt very accurate for me.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I agree that watching BF% is more logical and reasonable.

At my height/weight, BMI indicates that I'm obese. A 185 pound male who is 5'4" tall and able to run an 8 minute mile is obese??

Bunch of bull.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

THIS THIS THIS!!
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you can, find and focus on your BF%.

+1 This is what really matters. According to the BMI scale, I should weigh between 136-179 (that is abig range). The thing is, when I was 20 I had a BF% of around 10-15%, which is considered good for someone who isn't pro athlete and I weighed about 200lbs. I was active and working out, but was by no means a body builder - I was not bulking up. If I get under 180, then there is something seriously wrong with me and I need to go to the hospital.

If you just go strictly off of BMI, then Ahmad Bradshaw (running back for the NY Giants) is considered obese at 5'10 and 214lbs.