Saggy Skin??

Options
13»

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I lost 160lbs over 2.5 years and I got a lot of loose skin. I am not sure if 2.5 years was too fast (I don't think it is) but there was probably not much that could be done OUTSIDE of probably doing a bit extra strength training. I was only 24 years when I started losing, so don't think it was my age either. I am hoping it'll "bounce" back after a while but I don't think it'll ever be 100% the same.

I will probably look at surgery when I get to my goal weight.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    you are young your skin will bounce back. :smile:
    this ^^ You are young and your skin still has alot of elaciticity so I think you will be surprised at how it will firm up with exercise.. I have been told all my life if you loose the weight before 30 you will be ok so you should be good.. :flowerforyou:

^^^ Nope. =-/
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I lost 160lbs over 2.5 years and I got a lot of loose skin. I am not sure if 2.5 years was too fast (I don't think it is) but there was probably not much that could be done OUTSIDE of probably doing a bit extra strength training. I was only 24 years when I started losing, so don't think it was my age either. I am hoping it'll "bounce" back after a while but I don't think it'll ever be 100% the same.

I will probably look at surgery when I get to my goal weight.

a few people have said it can take upto 2 years??
    but if you want the surgery then you have so earned it! :)
  • mom152095
    Options
    check out emayesingwraps.myitworks.com/ they have these wraps that may help.. It helps you lose inches. however its more for tightening your skin as i have noticed. I have done one and lost one inch. my mother in law has done 3 i believe and she has lost 6 inches. good luck!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Anything can happen, and it's really hard to predict what your body will do with your stretched skin. You could get lucky with good genetics, or not.

When I was 24, I lost 92 pounds (232 to 140). I ended up with a grandma body--saggy arms, thighs, boobs and abdomen. Especially bad was my 'pooch' in the lower abdominal area. It looked like a bag of jelly which responded to gravity. If I leaned forward, bending at the hip, my pooch would lean forward too. I could grab it and shake it around. If I was lying on my side, the pooch would pool to the side near the floor. I eventually got a tummy tuck, which was mostly successful until I gained a lot of weight back.

I don't think 'being young' and 'exercising' will automatically save you from this fate. But, I agree with others that it was much better to be slim with loose skin than it is to be obese. You may not comfortably wear a bikini, but in some nice clothes you can still look great, if you are destined to have the loose skin that I have.

Here's a photo of a 20 year-old model who's 5'11" and 180 lbs:

http://m24digital.com/en/2009/08/27/plus-size-glamour/
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Losing weight slowly, eating well, drinking lots of water, and incorporating a good amount of strength training will all help with the skin issue. Plus, being young is a good thing. Genetics will play a role, too.

Vitamins C, A, E and K and B-complex vitamins are all important to skin health. Incorporate selenium, copper and zinc into your diet.

That being said - you're most likely going to have loose skin. There's just no way of preventing it altogether when you're losing that much weight.

People will say things like cocoa butter, other creams, etc... don't get your hopes up. You can do well by what I mention above, but be prepared to accept the fact that it's probably unavoidable.

I agree with all of this but I DO think you need to stay well moisturized. It is a must along with hydration and all of the things listed above. I don't have a problem with loose skin and I'm almost 53. The only things I have done is try to lose it slowly, weight lifting (as heavy as I can), staying hydrated, staying moisturized and body brushing.....helps a lot. :flowerforyou:
  • carrielizbeth
    carrielizbeth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think that if you focus on a healthy lifestyle with cardio and strength training as well as proper nutrition and allow the weight to come off slowly, that loose skin will not be as big of a problem as you think. I personally have lost 70 pounds in the course of the last year and 3 months, and only recently have I been able to tell that my skin is a little more loose than it used to be. I also feel that this is because I haven't been working out much lately, because I am on a trip to Italy for a few months (I am from the US) and cannot afford a gym membership here, so I am losing some of the muscle tone that I had been building up and which had helped pull together and firm my physique before. Do not be afraid to lose the weight though, because there are so many ways in which to help firm your skin after you lose weight that it is very inconsequential, and you will feel much better without that extra burden. ^_^
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump