Apples...

Options
Ok folks, I need some kind of sort of advice. I have given an apple 80 calories for as long as I can remember. The last few bags of apples that I bought all said "80 cals per serving", MFP usually says "80 cals per serving"........... However, today I looked at the bag that I have here at work and it says 130 calories per large apple. I wouldn't be concerned (and I'm not all that worried) but that is a 50 cal difference! The best part is that it says LARGE apple... yet each one is smaller than any apple I have EVER eaten that was not picked from the orchard.

What do you think? Stick with 80, or bite the bullet and call it 130? WWYD? :happy:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine. :ohwell:

They really can vary by quite a bit.
  • flanary888
    flanary888 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have always called them "100" no matter what the size. It seemed to be the average :)
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I always weigh mines. :)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i weigh mine, they range from 40-160 or so so i would never estimate
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Log it as 105, and pray you don't get fat.
  • wd4142
    wd4142 Posts: 7
    Options
    Most apples that you buy in a store are pretty small I would go with the 80 cal. but if you get some fresh from the orchard they can be a lot bigger and I might go with the 103 cal.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I never remember to weigh it so I generally try to log it as somewhere around 110-120 calories unless it's a small one.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    About one cup of fruit is a serving. So it's possible to have a smaller apple at 80 calories, and a larger apple at 130 calories. If that bag of large apples say 130 then count it as 130, or measure it in a cup. If you have a smaller apple, count it as 80. Just like with anything else, the more you eat, the more calories it has.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    50 calories really isn't that big of a difference.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Uponthisrock... I will pray! hahahaha but not that I don't get fat! World peace, health of my son... etc. :wink:
    Thanks all!

I just looked this up and didn't realize that they were roughly 15 calories per ounce. Maybe I should have done that first. But I sure do appreciate all (most:laugh:) of the responses!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 47 calories for my apple, I think it will depend on what kind your eating also, like granny apples, fuji apples. Anyhow I used the 47 calories for mine and I still lost weight so I wouldn't stress over it so much. On the bag of apples is will say the size of the apples and that is how mfp came up with my 47
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    meh - it's an apple! Really - you aren't gaining weight by eating 50 more calories of apple in a day. Unless you eat the whole bag...