any good ground beef recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You can make any recipe better by switching the ground beef for lean ground turkey! Not as flavourful, but not much different either.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    American chop suey!!

My mom's version (which I am obviously partial to) needs:
    2 cans of tomato sauce (the big guys)
    1 can of whole peeled tomatoes (also a big guy)
    1 green pepper
    1 small onion
    1 clove garlic
    liberal doses of parsley, basil, and oregano
    1-2lbs ground beef, lean as you can find

In a large sauce pan, empty all the cans- you may want to mush up the whole tomatoes, or you can leave them whole, totally up to you. Toss in the garlic and spices (don't be shy with those, either). Dice your pepper & onion, in they go. In a separate skillet, brown your meat. When it's cooked to your liking, strain off any fat- I let mine sit in a colander for a couple minutes and then squeeze through as much fat as I can. When your satisfied with your beef, that goes into the pot. Leave the heat on the loser side of medium, let sit for as many hours as you like, stir occasionally.

Now, depending on how much meat you use, this can literally be eaten like a stew. I recommend a little pasta, preferably elbows, because hey, that's what my mom used. Also, she likes to throw a fairly liberal dose of grated parm cheese in there, but I've been leaving it out and just adding a little to my plate. Enjoy! :)
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas. We also get our own from a butcher and therefore we have a ton of ground beef.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • katsmit2
    katsmit2 Posts: 54
    Options
    Zuccini Boats

Slice about 6 zuccini in half
    Hollow out the halves of zuccini
    brown your ground beef and add pasta sauce
    Fill each zuccini boat with meat and sauce
    Top with light cheese of your choice
    Cover dish with foil
    Bake at 425 for about 45 minutes.

They come out nice and soft and yummy. My eleven year old son loves these and they make great left overs for lunch !

Sounds yummy! Do you know the nutrition info for this recipe?
  • srathfelder
    Options
    Weight Watchers Cheesy Chili-Mac: http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=95081

It is in the MFP database. I used the Barilla plus elbow macaroni to add some more fiber.
  • celewis2011
    celewis2011 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • paulieboy113
    paulieboy113 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the great ideas. I am definatly going to put these to good use!

the reason I ask for beef and not turkey is it is very hard to find good lean turkey, but I have some really nice 96/4 ground beef.

thanks again and keep them coming!
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I make impossibly easy cheeseburger pie also. I use the heart healthy bisquik and use skim milk and lowfat mozz.. I like to add veggies but the recipe is 1/2 cup bisquik 1 cup milk, 2 eggs, 1 onion, 1 lb ground beef, 1 cup cheddar cheese. Brown the beef and onion, drain and rinse. Place in pie pan, 8x8 casserole dish-whatever.. Spread cheese on top of the meat and pour the other ingredients (mixed in a separate bowl) on top of the whole thing. Bake at 400f for 30-35 min. I made this today. Less than 250cal per serving.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I am looking for any good low cal/fat recipes for ground beef, let me know what you got.

You can replace ground beef with ground turkey in most things without a huge taste difference, and it's pretty good for ya too! Where I live, there isn't much of a cost difference but I'd imagine that varies by area.
    I'd rather eat 93/7 beef for about the same calores...
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lorazaruba
    lorazaruba Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • sheschemes
    Options
    Zuccini Boats

Slice about 6 zuccini in half
    Hollow out the halves of zuccini
    brown your ground beef and add pasta sauce
    Fill each zuccini boat with meat and sauce
    Top with light cheese of your choice
    Cover dish with foil
    Bake at 425 for about 45 minutes.

They come out nice and soft and yummy. My eleven year old son loves these and they make great left overs for lunch !

mmmm

They're really great! I love putting the cored portion of the zucchini into the browning ground beef along with some extra veggies. It's a great fridge cleaner.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fista
    Fista Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump for later. These sound WONDERFUL!
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Not too sure about the cals but its yummie.

Brown lb of beef drain and add 1 can of mushroom soup.
    Bake sweet potato fries in oven till crispy ( boil and hand cut first)
    Pour mushroom soup beef mix on top of the crispy fries !
  • amsaunders0313
    Options
    Bump