WTF!?! allergic to exercise?

Options

Replies

• pisilisa
    pisilisa Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't thnk it's possible to get allergic to exercise.
    Perhaps your body needs a rest, or you might be dehydrated or overheated. Take a couple days off, eat and drink well and see if that works out for you. You might also be pushing yourself too harder than what shape you are in.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Could it possibly be exercise induced asthma? Maybe run that by your doctor. Good luck!
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    Could it possibly be exercise induced asthma? Maybe run that by your doctor. Good luck!

Is that possible?

Also I've been working out for over a year so i know it's not a your just overdoing it thing. But even so why sudden change?
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I get that way if I don't hydrate enough the night before, push too hard, don't breath properly or if I eat before a workout.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    You didn't mention this, but do you drink coffee? I was having those issues after eating breakfast when I'd go to the gym on weekend mornings. I generally go at night during the week. I noticed coffee was doing a number on me. I'd get sweaty, dizzy, felt like throwing up, etc. I quit the coffee and I can now go to the gym in the morning. My friend told me that she had a similar issue. She thought the combination of coffee and her morning supplements and vitamins was doing it.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I would go see a doctor or perhaps consult any trainer the gym may have and tell them what's going on. From the sounds of it you're probably overdoing it, maybe elevating your heart rate too much or running up your temperature or not breathing properly when you do work out. If you don't have a workout plan or guide I would suggest getting with a trainer to set one up for you so that you are not hurting yourself.

You're not allergic to it. An allergy would have you breaking out in hives or rashes and you would be having a much more severe reaction like your throat closing and your body swelling. Just tone down what you're doing, keep yourself hydrated, and make sure you're breathing in big breaths, not short little gasps for air. If any of the machines you use have the ability to monitor heart rate or you have a HRM, use it and make sure your heart rate isn't going dangerously high. If it is, stop.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    My guess? Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. The movement of exercise causes little stones in your inner ear to move around, resulting in dizziness (vertigo) and nausea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo
  • MsAziz
    MsAziz Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Is that possible?

Definitely!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When you had your last lab did your Dr. do a Thyroid panel. This could be related to hyperthyroidism as well. See if you may be experiencing any of the other symptoms that go along with an over-active thyroid.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperthyroidism/hyperthyroidism-symptoms
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ask your doc if you can be fitted with a 24hour BP monitor. I'm having one fitted next week which takes your BP every 30mins over a 24 hour period. This will give a more accurate picture of your BP under certain circumstances rather than when you are feeling more relaxed at the docs.
  • kidakiwi04
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :)

I decided to take a mini break from working out this weekend (driving me nuts btw, since I use exercise as a way to destress lmao) but I do have a doctors appointment Monday and I'll talk to her more about what's going on. On the plus side my Dr is also a certified personal trainer and studying to be a certified nutritionist so I trust her advice completely.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Whenever I don't drink enough water or hold my breath during exercise, I get nauseous and lightheaded. Could be one of those.

I would recommend not pushing yourself too hard in your workout, perhaps limit it to 20 to 30 minutes, and concentrating on breathing very deeply throughout your workout. Upping your calories might also help keep you from feeling light-headed.

Also it could very well be asthma. Asthma has a tendency to come and go. Some people have had asthma their entire lives but suddenly it goes away, or have never had a problem with breathing and suddenly have it. It's pretty strange. Albuterol inhalers are great, both me and my fiance have one, him for exercise-and-allergen induced asthma, and me for exercise-in-cold-weather induced asthma. :P

Don't let this bring you down, I'm sure you'll find a way past it - best of luck! <3
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are low on fuel. I would try eating more, before & after. I get weak and sometimes throw up but that is when I am pushing myself passed my max in squats.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I vote low blood sugar/not enough food in the system
  • kealambert
    Options
    Maybe you are low on fuel. I would try eating more, before & after. I get weak and sometimes throw up but that is when I am pushing myself passed my max in squats.
    leave it to a couple of giants fans to agree
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    This is funner than messing around on the WebMD Symptom Checker.

Good luck figuring things out, OP. I'm sure that a competent medical professional will get it figured out.
  • speedmuffin
    Options
    It could be exercise-induced asthma... That's what I have, and it can develop over time, not necessarily a condition you would have had for your whole life. Try an inhaler a half hour before you work out and see if it makes a difference. If not, your problem may be more serious and hopefully your doctor will be able to help.
  • kidakiwi04
    Options
    This is funner than messing around on the WebMD Symptom Checker.

Good luck figuring things out, OP. I'm sure that a competent medical professional will get it figured out.

Lol I got about the just about the same advice from Google. Gotta love the internet.

But seriously thank you everyone for answering my question at least now I have an idea what to ask my Dr to look into rather than saying, it sucks when I exercise fix it. :smile:
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • kealambert
    Options

:drinker:

and go sharks!