Shoe Recommendations?

Options
OfficialPR
OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
About that time to upgrade my shoes, I'm not a heavy runner but do appreciate shoes that breathe for my workouts. Currently have a pair of Asics, like the one shown below. Looking for tips on getting a pair that can handle box jumps, running, etc.

Current Pair
I9an58

Replies

• heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have those same shoes(GEL Kayano 17s). I had the Kayano 16s and had to have these when they came out. I haven't been really satisfied with these like I was with the 16s. Just today after my run, I had to adjust the shoe a couple of times which really annoyed me considering that they don't have much mileage. I think I'm going to look at Mizuno. I tried the Wave Creation and from what I remember it fit really well. My husband has the men's Wave Creation and he absolutely loves his. Maybe others will post their own choices or ideas.
  • OfficialPR
    Options
    I have those same shoes(GEL Kayano 17s). I had the Kayano 16s and had to have these when they came out. I haven't been really satisfied with these like I was with the 16s. Just today after my run, I had to adjust the shoe a couple of times which really annoyed me considering that they don't have much mileage. I think I'm going to look at Mizuno. I tried the Wave Creation and from what I remember it fit really well. My husband has the men's Wave Creation and he absolutely loves his. Maybe others will post their own choices or ideas.
    Thanks for your feedback...
  • xxxhelenaxxx
    xxxhelenaxxx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love aesics! I have a pair, I don't know the name of them, but I've had them for a while. I developed shin splints like 3 years ago and these are the ONLY ones that don't hurt them!
  • Moto_Woody
    Options
    Everyone's feet and walking styles are different.

My suggestion is to go to a running store that will analyze your walk and measure your feet, then recommend a few different pairs of shoes.

It might cost you a tad for the first pair of shoes, but once you find a pair that fit well, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner AND you can buy them online later for less. Most shoes styles are around every year, they just get a new number for the next year.

I loved my Asics (they are a great shoe) until I was fitted with some Brooks that fit my foot and walking/running style.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You might want to get a pair of shoes just for running and one for other workouts. Most running shoes don't have the kind of support you need for cross training, and will get worn out faster. That being said, i love my Brooks Adrenaline for distance running, and have a pair of more minimalist training shoes for weights/strength. Always best to go to a running store and get fitted properly though, the shoes might be more expensive but it is worth it.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just went through this. I asked and was fitted with New Balance Shoes. They are great! They are a running shoe. They give you a lot of room in the shoe. Check them out.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Definitely try and get fitted, if you can. It may be more money invested, but it's definitely worth it, and you'll have a more specific shoe to your individual feet.

If not, it's a bit hit or miss in terms of what will work for you and what won't. I used Mizuno Wave Creations, for years, and loved them for their stiff structure, especially when I got tired.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend going to a running shoe store. We have a couple here in West Michigan for example Gazelle and Striders. Places like that can look at the wear on an old pair of shoes and can recommend a pair that will be the best for your stride and how you walk. Some even have treadmills so they can watch how you walk. I have always had issues with my knees and when I got the right shoes, the pain when away.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    It honestly sounds like you are trying to do two different functions in the same shoes.
    The minimalist type shoes might work for both (like the new balance minimus 20)

Otherwise,depending on how far you run, I'd advise a pair of shoes specific to that.

I've no knowledge whatsoever on cross-trainer type shoes.
  • OfficialPR
    Options
    You might want to get a pair of shoes just for running and one for other workouts. Most running shoes don't have the kind of support you need for cross training, and will get worn out faster. That being said, i love my Brooks Adrenaline for distance running, and have a pair of more minimalist training shoes for weights/strength. Always best to go to a running store and get fitted properly though, the shoes might be more expensive but it is worth it.
    That's a great idea....thanks for the tip