Do you run with your dog??

Options
I live in Florida so it's obviously warm out most of the year and I just finished week 5 of C25K today. If you take your pooch with you, how far do you run with them?

I have a boxer/american bulldog that runs w/ me 3 times a week. Right now it's more like a fast walk for him (I'm pretty slow - 11:30 min mile). I feel like the warmer it gets and the further I go the less I want to talk him with to keep him safe. He's pretty active, but I don't want to hurt him or make it uncomfortable for him.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Dogs love to run, I wish mine could go in a straight line!

Bring water with you and watch for signs of distress, most dogs are pretty good communicators - he'll let you know when he's feeling a little tuckered out.. You may have to stop a couple of times for him to have a drink but it's a great way for you to spend some quality time with your dog and you both get a workout.

As your running progresses you may want to just take him on the shorter runs.
  • oharabears
    Options
    The best advice I can give you would be to check with your vet and just make sure everything's good to take your buddy along! You've got a great mix of breeds for a running partner (I've got Corgis...great at cornering, not so great for speed! ), so you shouldn't have to worry as long as you avoid being out in the hot sun or on hot pavement! Carry water along for longer runs (for both of you!), and maybe do your running in the morning before it gets too hot! I'm a little jealous! I've often thought about asking friends with bigger dogs if I can just "borrow" theirs for running! LOL!
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My dog is arthritic and can't keep up with me as well anymore. :(

She's an 8 year old yellow lab and she loooooves going for walks, but once I actually start jogging for an extended period she has to turn it around and go home.
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Dogs make the best running partners! So long as you dont' mind breaking your rythym every now and then for sniff. Depending on the heat, my German Shepherd lasts around 6kms. He'll let me know he needs to cool down for a bit, before running again. For some reason though he loves sprinting up hills :oS Now that it's getting cooler (I'm in Australia) he's loving it and coming into his own. Soon he'll be stopping for me. haha like that'd happen!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    My 7 year old boxer can keep up for 3-5 miles as long as it is cool outside. More than that and he can keep up but is over tired when we get home and still is lethargic the next day.
  • micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    alright now you're making me feel guilty! it's just that he has to stop and smell and/or pee on everything! I guess I could just drag him! lol but he could definitely outrun me. he's an italian greyhound and he definitely has speed on his side!
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I want to... I really do..
    But my dog goes psycho if he sees another dog. I don't want to have to deal with that while I am out. I also wear headphones, and I would feel like I was ignoring him :(
    Oh, and it's a weenie dog, but he is damn fast... I take him on my walks and he pulls me along. We do 1/2 mile walks together..... once or twice a day.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I want to... I really do..
    But my dog goes psycho if he sees another dog. I don't want to have to deal with that while I am out. I also wear headphones, and I would feel like I was ignoring him :(
    Oh, and it's a weenie dog, but he is damn fast... I take him on my walks and he pulls me along. We do 1/2 mile walks together..... once or twice a day.

LOL
    My little dog could not run, her legs are little (half yorkie, half carin terrier).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My name pretty much answers the first question.

How far depends on the dog. I have done 10 k and more with my GSD. My Lab won't do more than 4 k, I think it is more of an interest thing that endurance. Keep in mind that boxers are a brachelphlic breed which can make breathing harder for them.

Ideally run with your dog at the cooler times of day, early in the morning or later in the day.

Dogs also need to work up to it like we do, but since you are as well, you have that covered.
    Just keep an eye on your dog and how tired he is during and after. You should be able to gauge how far is good.
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    lol your dog will tell you if its had enough im sure............dont worry dogs love to run
    i have a chihuahua, shes runs until shes had enough and stops............point blank plants her *kitten* on the kerb and refuses to walk anywere but home
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oh yea... When Dodger is done walking, he parks his butt on the ground. End of walk.
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    lol your dog will tell you if its had enough im sure............dont worry dogs love to run
    i have a chihuahua, shes runs until shes had enough and stops............point blank plants her *kitten* on the kerb and refuses to walk anywere but home
    just realised my dogs 7months and still a crazy run round all day pup and only needs a powernap before shes causing chaos dont know if that makes a differance lol
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I was running with my older dog as I started C25K, but I soon realised the poor guy was struggling with it more than I was. He's a 5yr old Rottweiller. So we stick to just taking him for walks, our new pup however may join me, once she is older. She's a mastiff X (We're not sure what with, thinking there is Dane in there) she looks like she should be able to lope along for ages once she matures more and gets control of her legs LOL.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Just be careful, because if they hurt themselves they won't tell you.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Our dog is an enormous hindrance to a workout. She's a 7 year old pit bull. After 1/4 mile walk she's ready to head home. And she's slow. I wish she were more interested.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I was running with my older dog as I started C25K, but I soon realised the poor guy was struggling with it more than I was. He's a 5yr old Rottweiller. So we stick to just taking him for walks, our new pup however may join me, once she is older. She's a mastiff X (We're not sure what with, thinking there is Dane in there) she looks like she should be able to lope along for ages once she matures more and gets control of her legs LOL.

Definitely a good idea to wait, especially with a large breed. Running with us is different than on their own and can put a lot of strain of developing joints. It's best to wait until joints are fully developed, in large breeds 18-24 months.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I get attacked as soon as I pick up my running shoes! Our 10-month old Collie/Lab/maybe Beagle mix LOVES to run with me.

We are both training right now: Me, to eventually run 5k; Her, to eventually learn not to run in front of me suddenly and trip me! :laugh:
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida so it's obviously warm out most of the year and I just finished week 5 of C25K today. If you take your pooch with you, how far do you run with them?

I have a boxer/american bulldog that runs w/ me 3 times a week. Right now it's more like a fast walk for him (I'm pretty slow - 11:30 min mile). I feel like the warmer it gets and the further I go the less I want to talk him with to keep him safe. He's pretty active, but I don't want to hurt him or make it uncomfortable for him.

:happy:
    They love it, as long as he's not lagging behind or acting like he's hurting... You're Good to Go! I have two labs mutt mixes, and they just go nuts wanting to run, my hubby takes them in the mornings. (we're in GA so its hot here too_ the hubby does his runs before work usually at 5am, so the heat isn't as bad for them suring the summer months). Now my 7 year old (haha sounds like a mama), seems to have slowed down a bit these last few weeks actually, so the hubby brings him back, and then runs with the 4 year old another mile. If he lags behind you ... slow yhour pace, if not, and he's still with ya or better - pulling - haha I find this helpful... keep it up, good for both of you!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have a silky terrier...I used to be able to run maybe a mile with him before he would just plop down on the grass when he'd had enough. But now, if I even attempt to run...he sits down and won't move again until he knows I'm just going to walk and not run. Lol..

It's a shame because I enjoyed running with him but now he'd rather just take walks...and only if it's cool.