Counting sugar?

I'm kind of confused when it comes to the whole counting sugar thing. I love fruit and it's hard to get any in at all if I'm counting the sugar content and do not want to go over. I'm lucky if I get in an apple and half a kind bar. :/ What do you all do concerning sugar intake?

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    I ignore it, for the very reason you cited (too easy to go over MFP's recommended intake, even on healthy sugars). I even took it off my tracker so I don't have to look at that glaring red number.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    It's good to track added sugar ... mentally subtract the fruit & veg sugar total when you're done for the day. At the same time be sure you're eating lots of veg and not all fruit.
  • Thanks for the advice, i've been considering subtracting the natural sugar but i was kind of afraid. Now I can't wait to enjoy a piece of fruit and ditch that annoying sugar counter lol.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 388 Member
    I ignore it, for the very reason you cited (too easy to go over MFP's recommended intake, even on healthy sugars). I even took it off my tracker so I don't have to look at that glaring red number.

I took it off mine too.. if I have a banana and apple or orange, it puts me over and I was tired of looking at it too. lol
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    I'm kind of confused when it comes to the whole counting sugar thing. I love fruit and it's hard to get any in at all if I'm counting the sugar content and do not want to go over. I'm lucky if I get in an apple and half a kind bar. :/ What do you all do concerning sugar intake?
    It's safe to ignore sugars from (whole) fruits/veggies. The fiber content slows absorption and prevents negative effects associated with refined sugars. Fruit juice and refined sugars are good to track IMO, but no need to go too crazy with it.
  • ashmx250
    ashmx250 Posts: 52 Member
    I go over on sugar every day! It's usually the only thing thats over, it's so annoying! I will have whole grain cereal with half a cup of skim milk for breakfast and I'll already be half way there on my sugar intake for the day. I think I may just take "sugar" off of the daily food tracker.
  • beaglenutty
    beaglenutty Posts: 160 Member
    I took mine off my tracker bc I was always over.
  • I keep mine on and track most sugars: sugarks from pasta, breads, sweets, drinks, corn syrup infused foods. I mentally delete sugars from fruits and veggies, and v8. That being said, I wouldn't recommend eating five apples per day! If you are diabetic, I think MFP sugar tracking could be helpful 100%..?
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member

I hate that red number too.