I need to do this

Options
I have struggled with my weight for 15 years. Since my second child was born. I was still in the military at the time, and the only thing I could do to maintain my weight within standards was working out on my treadmill every morning; run a 5k at lunch every day then aerobics every evening. 2 Aerobics classes on Saturday. Sundays off, and consuming less than 1000 calories a day. It worked, but as soon as I got out of the military and stopped living like that, the weight came on...I should never have stopped all the exercise but I did. I guess you can say I was flipping the bird at everyone for all the hard work I did do, that I didn't want to live like that anymore. But I gave up all the exercise and have made excuses over and over again since then.

Now at 43 I am heavier than I want to admit to. My feet hurt. I can't even take a load of laundry to the basement without getting breathless. I don't own any decent clothes. And to make matters worse, I am an Avon lady and I feel my weight is affecting my business.

We moved to Illinois last October having retired from the military. I have been unable to find a job, and tell myself every day I have wasted the last year because I could have already started this journey.

So, here I am to try this. I've heard great things. In fact, last night I told myself I was going to do this and have my bottle of water in front of me, and already went to the basement and walked on the treadmill a little, then did some cardio floor work that I remembered from Aerobics.

I look forward to the support from here, and getting to know all of you better

Replies

• cindysho
    cindysho Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the weight struggle. I have lost about 15 lbs by excercising and cutting my calories. I am curious if you have seen your doctor, because the symptoms you described about vigorous excercise and eating less than 1000 calories a day may indicate an endocrine disorder such as hypothyroid. That certainly is not normal, and you may benefit from a medication if that is indeed the problem. Otherwise, just be committed to excercise and cutting calories to around 1400, and the weight will come off.
    I purchased a heart rate monitor which shows me I need to excercise with my heart rate at around 140, and it shows me how many calories I burn. When I was burning 350-500 calories through excercise 3-5X a week, I was losing about 1.5 lbs. I felt more energy, and have more pep in my step. Try it, I bet you'll be a different person in a month.
  • momrisner
    Options
    I do have hypothyroidism and have been on medication this whole time. I feel I have to work much harder because of it. My new doctor here in Illinois will be running labs on me in September to make a determination on my meds and whether they should be changed or not.
  • swissdutchess
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs, fell off the wagon, and gained it all back. I'm going to do this, too.
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Good luck reaching your goal. I only started last sunday and I've already seen a difference of 2 lbs. I do the Danskin Now Pilate Magic Circle 3 to 4 times a week. It's only 20 minutes and it goes by fast. You're too busy noticing your burning muscles to think of the time. It's over before you know it. And I'm thinking of buying a yoga video, too.

Just keep the goals small and you'll be able to do it.
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also have a slow thyroid so it has taken me seven months to loose 24lbs. I have 10 more to go and know it will take me another 5 months to do it. Whatever your weight goals, through this site I learned to be balanced (I still eat foods I love as long as they are within my daily goals) and try to be as active as I can possibly be. I NEVER thought I would be able to fit into my "skinny girl" jeans again and now I do. :bigsmile:

The biggest difference this time for me is that now when I fall off the wagon, I pick myself back up and keep going. MFP has been a huge help with this!!!:flowerforyou:
  • JenSteck
    JenSteck Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep...same boat here too, and also just joined. 41 yrs old and can't believe the shape I've let myself get in. Oh well....time to do something about it. My goal is to lose 40 lbs and I'm going to do this by joining Curves and changing the way I eat. We can do it....I think the trick is to not take on too much too fast. baby steps.
    I just measured myself...argh.
  • JenSteck
    Options
    okay...where are you guys getting those cute things at the bottom of your posts...that state your weight lost and goals?
  • AJRum
    AJRum Posts: 10
    Options
    Re the things on the bottom of the post... click on tools, then under it choices will pop up, click on tickers, and create yours
  • AJRum
    AJRum Posts: 10
    Options
    You CAN do this!!
  • JenSteck
    Options
    thanks, I think I figured it out. :)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I do have hypothyroidism and have been on medication this whole time. I feel I have to work much harder because of it. My new doctor here in Illinois will be running labs on me in September to make a determination on my meds and whether they should be changed or not.

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    I also have hypothyroidism, and had a problem losing even with the medication till I came here to MFP. :love:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
  • momrisner
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the tips and advice!:smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: