Looking for vegan buddies!

Options

Replies

• lissymae11
    Options
    I'm not a vegan (maybe someday) but I am a vegetarian!
  • rjmclay
    rjmclay Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm new here, too! I'm a vegetarian, and I was vegan for about a year. I'm considering going back, but I can't decide.

So, I'm wondering: why are you guys vegans? What makes it the most worth it over vegetarianism or other kinds of diets? My reasons are almost entirely ethical ones, but I'm curious, if anyone wants to let me know!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm vegan too and on the lookout for new buddies... it's great there are people here for support :)

Anyone feel free to add me, :)

Heather
  • hayleyghoover
    Options
    Hey! I'm new to MFP and a somewhat new vegan. Feel free to add me. :)
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I should try it for a few weeks and see how I do with it..
  • MeatyVegan
    Options

Yes, try it! I started by just telling myself I'd try it for a week and see how I feel after that. It stuck. :)
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Yes, try it! I started by just telling myself I'd try it for a week and see how I feel after that. It stuck. :)

I know the basics fruit, veggies, soy milk but honestly like what do you eat?????
  • MeatyVegan
    Options
    Ha ha. There's so much to choose from! For proteins, you can eat all kinds of nuts, beans and legumes. Plus you'll want your whole grains, so pasta, rice, cereal, tortillas, etc. You'll need calcium, too, so trade your dairy milk for soy, almond, coconut or hemp milk, which are fortified with all kinds of goodies. Load up on fruits and veggies. And of course there's always your fake meats like tofu and seitan (gluten). There's all kinds of great stuff to choose from in the frozen section, or if you're feeling adventurous you can try and make it yourself. If you like cooking, I'd highly recommend Veganomicon. Best vegan cookbook ever! :)
  • ermelovestroy
    ermelovestroy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new here & vegan as well. Just finished reading Crazy Sexy Diet as well as The China Study. Totally recommend them to anyone who is interested but not sure if they are ready to switch from vegetarian to vegan. The hard part is my 2 SD live with us on weekends & with their mom (not vegan) the rest of the time. Anyways, hello all!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hello from Australia! I am newly vegan, but vegetarian for a while before that. I'm loving all the vegans on here and would love new veg buddies! If anyone needs a little kick to help them make the switch from vegetarian to vegan, I highly (HIGHLY) recommend Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's podcast "Vegetarian Food for Thought". That woman is amazing, and put everything in perspective for me so the change was effortless. I'm finally living in accordance with my values and I feel amazing (and a bit crazy-evangelical at times too, but I'm hoping that will pass hahaha)...
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for several years and vegetarian before that for several, for a total of 9. Feel free to add me!
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Long time vegan, love to cook-- add me!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have been diagonsed with Cancer, and currently trying alternative treatment (natural herbs), trying to avoid a major surgery and chemo. I have heard a change in a diet can be real helpful. I believe not getting meat and just getting veggies and fruit. I have thought about trying but i have been and raised on a farm where meat and taters was our daily dinner. :( Any advice how to change over without withdrawals?

You may want to look into the book "Crazy Sexy Diet." It was written by a woman who recovered from Cancer while employing a healthy, plant-based diet. But she's really funny and helpful for everyone.

YES! This!

This book completely made my health do a 180. I was on the fast track to an early grave, and I KNOW that this book changed that. My doctors would tell you so, too!
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for close about 10 years, and I have been thinking about going vegan. I'm excited to see so many vegetarians/vegans!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Not vegan but vegetarian for quite awhile, feel free to add me if you like! :) My food diary is open so you can see what I normally eat...but I like greek yogurt and ricotta cheese to much to go vegan, the fake cheese tastes like dirty socks (or what I believe dirty socks taste like). I do make a lot of vegan dishes though!! :)
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i am 80% dietary vegan and trying to go 100%
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Vegan here !!!... And a cancer survivor... Always looking for more supportive friends!! :)
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I tried vegan eating for about 3 months. It didn't work for me (I swear I have mild OCD, I ended up with a borderline eating disorder and lost way too much weight). I switched back to vegetarian but am trying to really cut back on my dairy.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Feel free to add me! And join our group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores (over 1000!)
    There are other great veg*n groups on MFP as well!
  • MeatyVegan
    Options
    Wow, thanks everybody for chiming in! I'm happy to see so many of us here. :)