Do you let people know when you're watching your diet?

Options
As title; Family/friends/colleagues. Do people encourage you? Do they help you watch what you eat? Is it helpful to you?
My family know when I'm watching my diet, but I don't tell anyone else as it drives me nuts if they ask "Should you be eating that?" or I catch them looking at my plate checking out what's on it, whether for calories or health value.
What do you do?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    It's not something I announce, but it is apparent in my choices. People notice if you're getting a salad instead of a cheeseburger.. or yogurt as a side instead of french fries... or always ordering things with no mayo now, or on wheat bread. I find it odd that anyone other than maybe a spouse would look at your food and ask "should you be eating that". Who does that? :noway:
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband and sisters know. My kids only know that "mom wants to be healthier.". As for everyone else, I don't say anything...it's not really their business. Other people really test my willpower (regardless of whether they know or not).
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have to. The girls in my office offered me donuts or whatever junk food they have every day and seemed offended that I kept declining. Finally told them I'm watching sugar & fat intake.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I didn't say much at first, but it's becoming very obvious. When I explain to people that I'm calorie counting, and that I actually CAN eat whatever I want, in moderation, they seem kind of impressed that I can be satisfied with that. When I say that there's nothing I CAN'T eat, people look genuinely confused for a minute. But then I get to educate them a little. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone that knows me knows that I always watch my diet. So, I guess the answer is yes.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    As title; Family/friends/colleagues. Do people encourage you? Do they help you watch what you eat? Is it helpful to you?
    My family know when I'm watching my diet, but I don't tell anyone else as it drives me nuts if they ask "Should you be eating that?" or I catch them looking at my plate checking out what's on it, whether for calories or health value.
    What do you do?

I tell people as I get excited when I have a new project whether it's cutting or bulking, getting fit etc.

It shouldn't drive you nuts when they ask if you should be eating something or not - it means they are interested and care about you. A little education in their direction means they will understand why you're eating something or avoiding something else. :)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Most people figure it out on their own. Sometimes, if people are being really pushy with food, I'll have to say thanks but no thanks I'm watching what I eat. I've never had anyone, except my mother, ask me if I should be eating something. My response is always, "I'm not on a diet, I'm just watching my portions. I can have whatever I want so long as it fits within my eating plan, and this does."
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I let them know, usually when someone offers me something to eat, like a work food day, that way they won't keep offering me desserts & unhealthy food. If someone asks if I should be eating something, I take the time to educate them to the fact that making healthier eating decisions doesn't mean I can't have anything that's tasty & that it's all about moderation.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows. Coworkers, friends, family. I think it's important (for me) to let others know so they don't get offended if I don't eat the bagels they brought in or why I'd prefer not to eat dinner late. People are nosey and are going to ask anyway, right? Also it's not something I'm ashamed of. I'm proud that I go to the gym and I'm proud I am eating better.
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    This time round I have announced it to the world :-) Well, not exactly but everyone at work knows and all the peeps on my facebook (who are just close friends and family far away) - I am hoping that this will help me with accountability and generally think that everyone will be encouraging and supportive.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    What do you do?

In my office yes. They all know. I work with a bunch of health and fitness fanatics. Everybody in my department is either on a diet (WW, South Beach, Paleo) or sports (Boston Marathon training, martial arts, wrestling, weight lifting, crossfit, boxing, etc).

So telling everyone that I am on a diet, I just became one of the health "dorks" staring at the untouched plate of cookies in the breakroom. A basket of fruits is more popular than pastries.

Also, since I am on a diet, my husband is also on a diet. He loves the fact he already lost 2 inches off his waist.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Everyone at work know I eat healthily anyway so they often start by saying, "you'll probably decline but do you want a packet of crisps?" :laugh: Then I'll say, "no" :laugh:
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find it odd that anyone other than maybe a spouse would look at your food and ask "should you be eating that". Who does that? :noway:
    I know!!! Although my boyfriend said it to me once and it really p*ssed me off as well.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i don't really talk to anyone about my food unless they can actually understand why i do what i do. in my case i'm not eating less, i'm eating more and i try and consume more protein than carbs. now, if someone can understand why i do and need to do those things, then i will talk with them about it.

if i feel like i have to defend my choices, no, i won't talk to those people about my choices. they are MY choices for me and MY body, i don't have to defend them to someone else.

i had lunch with 3 girl friends a couple weeks ago. they all ordered salads. i knew i needed protein and calories because of my work out later in the day and lack of food eaten earlier in the day. so, i got myself a hamburger, LOL! we chatted a bit about protein/ carbs and over all calories. but, they all get it, for the most part! my food choice was based totally on that day's requirements. i had lunch out on tues. and i knew i wasn't going to be doing a heavy work out and i had had a decent breakfast so i got a salad and ate half of it. :-)
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    It's not something I announce, but it is apparent in my choices. People notice if you're getting a salad instead of a cheeseburger.. or yogurt as a side instead of french fries... or always ordering things with no mayo now, or on wheat bread. I find it odd that anyone other than maybe a spouse would look at your food and ask "should you be eating that". Who does that? :noway:

My sister in law whose a health freak... it is very rude and very uncomfortable, but I learn to ignore it! But I only tell people that are supportive, like at work I tell my coworkers so they are less likely to bring in bad foods or if I want to go out to lunch they can be like, "oh but your salad looks so good, don't spend your money" so it helps me out in that way. I like people to give me helpful nudges toward the right direction, but not be flat out rude and judgmental about it!
  • plarcade
    Options
    It shouldn't drive you nuts when they ask if you should be eating something or not - it means they are interested and care about you. A little education in their direction means they will understand why you're eating something or avoiding something else. :)
    It shouldn't, but it does. I put a huge amount of care into what and how much I eat, but it seems I know a lot of people who believe that me watching MY diet allows THEM to pass judgement and it drives me crackers. So I don't tell anyone although I will admit it if they notice I've lost weight am eating differently etc.
    TBF it mainly happened in Argentina, not in the UK.
  • plarcade
    Options
    I have to. The girls in my office offered me donuts or whatever junk food they have every day and seemed offended that I kept declining. Finally told them I'm watching sugar & fat intake.
    That's fair enough :)
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I live with my sister and she is a junk food addict. I just started this program and she already asked me to go too Culvers to get a shake.
    I told her NO! NO! NO!. I think she will get it after she sees that I am serious. IT will be hard though we are "FOODIE" buddies and that habit is hard to break.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for so long that pretty much everyone knows that I choose to eat healthier. It is annoying sometimes when I do decide to splurge to have the comments about what I'm eating but then again, sometimes it's helpful!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    My husband knew but that's it. I have another coworker who tells EVERYONE when she's trying to lose weight but it's too sensitive of a topic to me. When I decided to lose weight over a year ago, I kept it to myself and my husband. I don't think having my coworkers or friends remind me to eat well helps me. Like at Easter, everyone knew my aunt was on a "diet" and people kept saying "theresa don't eat that!" I don't see that as helpful at all :P

I plan out my food and my calories myself so I don't want someone telling me I shouldn't be eating this or that when it's part of my plan. And lots of people have very different ideas on what someone trying to lose weight should be eating. I don't want people telling me I shouldn't be eating foods with fats or X or Y in it