Menu for next week?!

Options
How does everyone plan their weeks lunches and dinners? Do you cook in bulk on the week-ends?
I find it really difficult to plan lunches and dinners. My husband works nights and doesn't always like to eat "dinners". Also, he is stuck on the meat, potato, and veggie thing. He's isn't a fan of variety or trying new things.
What is your menu for next week?

Replies

• khuckaby1
    khuckaby1 Posts: 69
    Options
    I usually plan out what I am going to have for dinner and then take leftovers for lunch next day. I always keep some salad fixings handy so in case I don't want what I fixed the night before.

This week we are probably going to have grilled steak, chicken, and some chicken taco soup. Hope this helps!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Evening meals over the next few days are:

Lamb steaks smeared with pesto, served with quinoa pilaff (I'll make extra pilaff and freeze it for lunch)
    Pasta with prawns, courgette and chilli (again, I'll freeze leftovers)
    Quality/ gourmet burgers. He'll probably have his with cheese in a bun, I'll make a spinach salad to go with mine.
    Poached chicken with sweet potato mash.
    Seared haloumi, salad with a hot dressing (husband hates salad, but will eat it if the dressing is warm)
    Chorizo and bean stew (more ledftovers for lunch....)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I *try* to plan a menu.
    Keyword is try, I'm not always very successful on sticking to it.
    Especially when really busy.
    I actually wrote up my menu and blogged about here (here's this coming weeks: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ajchaney89/view/let-s-try-menu-planning-again-241944)

I bulk cook every so often (easy to bulk cook when cooking for one) but I make things that freeze well (goulash, soup, etc)
    When I'm in a bind, I pull one out. Like right now, I have stuffed pepper soup (minus the rice) thawing on my desk at work.
    I'm a fan of leftovers so I make sure I have enough for another meal or two as well
  • MaryMangan31
    MaryMangan31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to cook something basic that I can create a lot of different meals around.

For example - yesterday I made a huge 15-bean stew in my crockpot. Simple, and was a large quantity. But I can make a lot of different meals with it:
    - thicken it up a little in a skillet, then pour over some rice
    - eat as-is in a bowl, with some croutons
    - add to pasta
    - cook spinach in a skillet and mix it in, add some Parmesan

Etc. Just many variations on the same thing. You can do this with a lot of "basics" - get a whole chicken, and once it's cooked it can be eaten as-is, or you can make a stew/soup, or you can put it cold on a sandwich, etc.

Cost-effective for sure, and might be appealing to a husband who likes "same old" AND you.
  • AprilPayne24
    Options
    On Sunday, I will make/prepare (2) meals:

Clean-Eating Easy Pad Thai
    Clean-Eating Moussaka

We usually eat-out on Friday's and the other 2 nights will be either Soup/Sandwiches or a another quick dinner.
  • Ladybezoar
    Options
    We typically plan our meals on Saturday morning then shop Saturday afternoon. If we have meals that can be prepared ahead of time we do. This can be our soups or anything we cook in the crockpot. We try to make extra to have for lunches and future quick meals. We purchased a foodsaver and that has helped us be able to store foods longer and also make freezer meals.
  • Stevalli
    Stevalli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I plan my evening meals every week that way I know what I have to buy and it helps to stay on track.

This week we are having paoched salmon, gnocchi, butterfly chicken, seabass, pork loin steaks, omelette os some sort and beef steak all served with veg or salad.

Lunches I buy something that I can heat up in the microwave or bring home made soup

Breakfast - Monday - Friday I have porridge with diced fruit but have scrambled egg on toast of bacon roll at the weekend.

Hope this helps
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rarely know what I'm going to have for dinner even one day ahead of time. Often I don't know until after I get home from work that day. I just see what's in the fridge, freezer and pantry (all which are usually well stocked) and my husband and I decide what sounds good, or what fresh veggies in the fridge are the oldest and need cooked first.

Or, now that the weather is nice again, we often stop by the store on the way home and grab something to throw on the grill. Sitting outside in the warm evening after a workout, sipping a glass of wine and rehashing the day with my husband as he cooks something on the grill is one life's greatest pleasures for me.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I plan the whole week... Lunches and Suppers. I grocery shop every weekend, for everything (snacks, produce included) because I'm just too busy during the week to have to slow down, and figure it out.

Suppers are almost always in the crockpot, or less than 20 minutes to make. Lunches are leftovers if possible.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Not being a big fan of veggies yet, I really struggle with menu planning. This coming week I have turkey meatballs with sugar snap peas and honey teriyaki sauce planned. I would also like to make a carrot salad I saw a co-worker had. I know what it is and have the recipe somewhere, just gotta find it. I am not a fan of salads at all. I actually want a salad only (seriously) about once a year. I love broccoli salad, and I make it healthy, not using mayo or sour cream. I use greek yogurt and no cheese. I've also used the broccoli salad dressing to make a mixed veggie salad, with a whole slew of veggies in it, not just broccoli. I like easy and quick menus or else I won't cook. You can always grill chicken breasts with a nice rub too.
  • chiltonuk
    Options
    I usually make a big pot of veggie soup:
    boathouse carrot juice, tomato sauce, garlic, pepper, tumeric, cumin, red pepper, chili peppers and water, add, leeks, kale, okra, carrots, cabbage, quiona - freeze in individual containers.

Salads with carrots, cherry tomatoes, boathouse yogurt honey mustard dressing (on side)

Occasional sandwich w/2% cheese

Always have, raw nuts, fruit at hand.

Eat out once/twice a week - I've learned to cook for myself, if my spouse takes care of his own meals except on weekends when I make a veggie frittata or omelette of some kind.

If I have to think about it when I get home, I get lazy and eat junk! Takes time to figure it out, but once you do you find it works for you.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I typically meal plan for the week and shop either Sundays or Mondays (my days off). I usually make something "in bulk" for my lunches for the week so I don't have to worry about it. For example:

Next week:

Lunches: Minestrone soup (Shore Lunch brand, won't have time for homemade)

Monday: roasted chicken w/basil, roasted root veggies, fruit salad
    Tuesday: quiche, venison sausage, homemade bread
    Wednesday:crockpot hamburger soup, cornbread, fruit
    Thursday: chicken enchilada casserole, salad, fruit, leftover cornbread
    Friday: Boca burgers (lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, cheese), baked beans, sweet potato fries, fruit
    Saturday: ...on the road...Subway??
    Sunday: Voila, salad, fruit (just getting back from trip)