Replies

• Karalopolous
    Options
    Also chicken, milk, peas, and the EAS thing that I drink :D
  • siberianex
    siberianex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue so I found this list:

Foods with Potassium Serving Size Potassium (mg)
    Apricots, dried 10 halves 407
    Avocados, raw 1 ounce 180
    Bananas, raw 1 cup 594
    Beets, cooked 1 cup 519
    Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504
    Cantaloupe 1 cup 494
    Dates, dry 5 dates 271
    Figs, dry 2 figs 271
    Kiwi fruit, raw 1 medium 252
    Lima beans 1 cup 955
    Melons, honeydew 1 cup 461
    Milk, fat free or skim 1 cup 407
    Nectarines 1 nectarine 288
    Orange juice 1 cup 496
    Oranges 1 orange 237
    Pears (fresh) 1 pear 208
    Peanuts dry roasted, unsalted 1 ounce 187
    Potatoes, baked, 1 potato 1081
    Prune juice 1 cup 707
    Prunes, dried 1 cup 828
    Raisins 1 cup 1089
    Spinach, cooked 1 cup 839
    Tomato products, canned sauce 1 cup 909
    Winter squash 1 cup 896
    Yogurt plain, skim milk 8 ounces 579
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Many entries in the MFP database do not include potassium. Do the research and edit entries if you need to.

8 oz of low sodium V-8 juice has well over 800 mg.

Here's some info and a great chart for potassium counts in foods:

www.krispin.com/potassm.html
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You're probably getting more than you think. US nutrition labels do not require potassium to be listed, so many items in the database say 0 mg or N/A despite containing potassium.

Eat whole foods and plenty of fruits and vegetables and you're likely meeting the daily recommended amount.

It's not recommended to supplement potassium unless you're under the supervision of a doctor. It can be dangerous if you take too much in a supplement.

^ This.

When I first joined MFP, I was very concerned about potassium because it appeared I was so low. Then I learned that US nutrition labels do not require it to be listed. Therefore, we are getting more than we know. That was good news.

The bad news for me is that I found out from my physician that I, in fact, was low in potassium. The moral of the story is to have a quick blood test to determine if you are low. If not, then you are probably getting enough from all the yummy fruits and veggies you are eating!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Thank you..

My calfs are constantly tensing up and it hurts like hell. Lol.

My doctor told me I need more potassium.

I eat a banana a day but its gonna take more then that. "/
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Low sodium canned tomatoes, dried beans (ie turkey chili Om nom) orange juice, cabbage.

I use a low-sodium tomato paste and frozen vegetable soup mix and make a tomato soup that will give you about 2,000 g. You can't really buy an over-the- counter potassium tablet worth the time to swallow it.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    AVOCADOS!!! They have a sh-ton of potassium, like way more than bananas. Spread half of one on toast or just eat it raw, they are delicious.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a healthy diet and you are not taking diuretics, I would not worry about it. Potassium is not always included in NI. If you start fretting about every electrolyte that your body needs you will burn out. Just keep your diet healthy. Your body will take care of itself.