How do you really know how many calories you burned working

Options
I like to do the gym classes how does my fitness pal know how hard i work?

i went to a spin class last night and it said i burnt 400 (i did'nt put my weight, height, age or sex in) but when i put it on myf it said 604 which do i go on

Replies

• kdjboogs
    kdjboogs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and what I did is got a HRM watch from Polar. I talked to my trainer friend at the gym and they said to use the number you get from the watch not what is on here or the machines at the gym.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to go with the lower number when it comes to exercises, but if you want to be more accurate then get a heart rate monitor (with a chest strap). I think it's better to overestimate food calories and under estimate exercise calories.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Don't get so hung up on it. I got an HRM and found MFP to be very close.

Besides, think about it, how do you know that 300 cals of food burns exactly the same in your body as in mine?

You don't. It's just all a giant guess. Just keep it relative and general and just make sure that you're hitting your goal.

I tell people all the time, it doesn't matter at all if your scale is wrong, as long as you always use the same scale. The same idea applies to calorie burn. It's all relative. The main thing is, are you hitting your goal? If yes, then don't worry about it.
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    totally agree....Get a Polar HRM. Makes all the difference!
  • SarahBarker1987
    SarahBarker1987 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can be exactly right when it comes to working this out. The machines at my gym don't match up to what my pedometer or MFP says. I agree with what htmlgirl says about taking the lowest calculation so that you still stay on track with your weight loss. It wouldn't be very beneficial to take the highest if it wasn't accurate and your weight loss slowed down because you thought you could have a few more calories per day.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    HRM, get it...love it...DONE ! :laugh:
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I want to get an HRM. I had a Polar and the battery died. I can't get the battery replaced at a watch repair shop since they told me it would not be waterproof.

I still think Polar is the brand I will buy. What model is good for gym workouts and classes? I don't need one that is geared for runners and the foot pod, etc.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    MFP uses a best guess. I've always been under the impression it's safe to estimate it at about 20% less.

I recently bought a Polar FT7 and the difference between MFP and the HRM was about 90 calories in an hour of running.

If you are using a machine at the gym and it has weight/height/age it's going to be pretty accurate if it has a way of tracking your HRM.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Here, here on the Polar FT7! Get one!

My HRM reading is about HALF what MFP and other calorie burn calculators give me!

If you are going to "eat back" your exercise calories, you should invest in one~ I got mine on Amazon for under $75.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys i think il do that
  • nutrientnatalie
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor for sure. The machines you work out on are robots really, and so is MFP, so if it says you've burned 600 calories when you've really only burned 100, then you eat 600 extra that you thought you burned off, it will lead to weight gain! Good luck!
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can get your Polar HRM battery replaced. I got mine replaced at a jeweler. No problem.
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I want to get an HRM. I had a Polar and the battery died. I can't get the battery replaced at a watch repair shop since they told me it would not be waterproof.

I still think Polar is the brand I will buy. What model is good for gym workouts and classes? I don't need one that is geared for runners and the foot pod, etc.

Sorry, I meant for you to see my reply. I "quoted" incorrectly. Yes, you can get your HRM battery replaced. I did at a jeweler.
  • Moonstruk
    Moonstruk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel that if the way you are logging in your food and exercise is working,( i.e. you are losing the lbs), then trust that and know that you're doing it right. If it works, no need to fix it :):happy:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Before you invest, I bought mine, and MFP is always within about 50 cals + or -. The difference is too small and wasn't worth the investment. The watch was almost $200 and the HRM was around $35. For free, it's close enough. Just something to consider before you spend money.
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I went with the HRM. I found the treadmill to be pretty close to what the HRM reported, but the elliptical machine was reporting about 30% more calories burned than actual.

Anymore I just figure it's about 10 calories per minute for moderate intensity (you will have to the judge on that) I ignore the machines and don't really bother with the HRM. I will slap it on from time to time just to double check.