Smart ones, lean cuisine.... A good idea?

Options

Replies

• seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm of the "one mountain a day" camp... I used these to help break my "cheeseburger and fries" lunch habits so the sodium was actually the same or maybe lower than what I was eating. Later I realized I was paying anywhere from 2 to 4 bucks for 40 cents worth of pasta and sauce, and started making my own in big batches that I could divide and freeze. Salt content controlled. Taste improved.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I think the lazy comment above is a bit harsh.

I got wrapped up in all or nothing thinking. That I had to prepare all meals, all the time with all natural, all whole ingredients. And it started to get over whelming. Sometimes, in life when you are trying to balance a lot of things, you have to prioritize. And for me, sometime reading a second bedtime story to my son IS more important the cooking chicken for lunch the next day. When I do cook, I do enough to have left overs, but sometimes leftovers run out and it is just best to cut myself some slack and grab a frozen meal.

I have noticed that Healthy Choice seems to have stepped up their meals a notch. They seem to have decent ingredients. I ALWAYS add extra veggies. I buy those Zip 'n' Steam bags that Ziplock makes and toss veggies in that to steam in the microwave. (sometimes I buy pre cut/pre washed veggies to save on time, too, even though they are a bit more $!)
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    you need to learn how to cook smart and snack smart. Using those are just being lazy. For instance, when you cook a chicken breat cook 5 instead of onw so you have a quick chicken sandwich or chicken salald to eat.

Lazy is an ignorant way to look at it. When I have the time, I'll cook extra food & take it for lunch, but with a family, two jobs, helping out on my in-laws farm & working out 5-6 days a week, lazy is the last thing I am. I'd also rather have a variety in the foods I eat, rather than have the same thing 3-4 days in a row.
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Healthy choice makes some that seem to be a bit lower in sodium and use "real" ingredients - I can't remember what line they are, but they're under the Healthy Choice brand.

I like Amy's burritos in a pinch too. They're basically a whole wheat tortilla, beans, veggies and cheese. Less than 300 and more filling than the LC's. They're in the frozen section and you just microwave them for 3 min I think.
  • stringqueen16
    Options
    I've been eating the smart ones for a while now, and they're fine for me. They aren't so high in sodium that you'll go over every day if you eat one. Just watch what you eat the rest of the day. Also, the smart ones have less sodium than most other frozen dinners. They've helped me lose weight, and between school and 3 jobs, I need all the convenience I can get.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine is a really good option if you don't worry about sodium. I was relying on them for a while when I couldn't cook because of my depression.
    Any frozen low-cal meals are great as long as you find stuff you like. ^.^
    Don't listen to people saying you're 'lazy' -_- There's no shame in not cooking. Everyone has different time constraints in their lives, and different levels of ability to do things.
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    Yeah go for it. There are several that you can eat, just watch the sodium. There are plenty youcan have though.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine once and awhile, but they are convenience foods .. AKA .. processed city!!!!!!!! Loads of sodium. Once and awhile I have them, but they really don't fill me up and are not worth the bloat!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I use a mixture so I don't get bored with my lunches. I will prepare lunch if I have the time (usually leftovers from the night before), but I will also do simple lunches, lean cuisines/healthy choice/smart ones meals, as well as meal replacement bars/shakes if I know I'm going to be super busy. It seems to be working for me.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There is really a diffrence between wanting to be healthy and thin. I always focused on thin in the past and these types of meals may be helpful, but long term (from tons of experience), they are not healthy by any means. Focus on whole foods. I have no time either, and I work 50 hours a week, as well as have a child. However, it is really easy to plan and I do it on Sundays. It is also way cheaper as well.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    There are some mornings when I literally don't have 5-10 minutes to pack a lunch. I get up early, do my workout, etc. but sometimes it just doesn't happen and I remember that I still need lunch as I'm running out the door. I have a few frozen meals on hand for those times. It's better than most of the options I have available to me on campus.
  • JMSKCW
    JMSKCW Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat them frequently for lunch because I like the variety. When I started MFP, I counted all of my sodium to make sure that I wasn't going overboard, especially by eating the frozen meals. I found that I was under my suggested sodium almost every day (usually by a considerable amount) even while consuming the Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice meals.
    Perhaps you could log your sodium for a week to see if the frozen meals are pushing you over the edge.
    I also like to mix my lunches up with Healthy Choice Steamers (those have a lot of protein and are lower in sodium) with homemade lunches- that way I don't get stuck in a rut.
  • Flowerofgrace50
    Flowerofgrace50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that you do what works for you. Quite a bit of healthy cooking along with Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine or protein shakes when you need to use them. Experiment with every idea available. Everyone is different and different things work for them. What works for you won't necessarily work for me and vice verse.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It depends on which ones you're choosing and what choices you're making for the rest of your day. I found this Smart Ones Rigatoni with Vodka Sauce (looks very appetizing, though I haven't tried it yet) for 290 calories and only 490 sodium.
    But then again, I'm in college and these are my "I really don't have time to make a meal, so here I go" dinners.

I prefer making my own. Have you heard of American Beauty pasta portions? 320 calories for a VERY good amount of pasta, you can add your own sauce (so you can adjust your sodium there), and then I add a basil leaf on top (for flavor....but it also adds potassium I've found). These pasta portions only take 5 minutes in the microwave and are extremely simple to make! (I just had one today--I control the sodium, and they are ALWAYS filling! :D)
    There are so many fast meals that are relatively healthy and lower in salt content. But Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones aren't bad. I just wouldn't have them super often. (I did look at Healthy Choice, and though I haven't had one yet from what I've glanced they seem to be slightly lower in sodium? I'm not sure, though. You could look!)
    Tortilla pizza - find a tortilla lower in sodium, (I don't add sauce, but just a little goes a long way!), a little mozzarella cheese, cut up a roma tomato, a basil leaf, some mushrooms (not from the can), maybe some spinach....yep. Simple, but yummy and lower in sodium! And never forget salad!
    I think I rambled a little, but there you go! Not bad, but just in moderation :)
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    I think the meals are great for taste, convenience and portion control. They also fit easily into ones daily calories. I am not the food police, depending on how strict you want to be on your restrictions, I think they are fine and you will continue to lose weight.
  • shellgirl144
    Options
    Generally, frozen processed dinners aren't really that good of an idea, but you have to make your own decisions.

Here are some options:

What about making soups in the crockpot then freezing it in single serving sizes? You could grab that before you leave for work and it would probably be thawed before lunch so you don't have to warm it for long.

It doesn't take too long to throw salads together on your way out the door.

What about making extras of your dinner and throwing single sized servings in the freezer? You could quickly grab those like the soup and take them for lunch.

Someone else also suggested the nitrate free lunch meats so you could make a quick sandwich. Maybe grab an apple and a handful of nuts or some veggies and hummus and you have yourself a quick lunch.
  • laurenwarwick
    Options
    I think the lazy comment above is a bit harsh.

I got wrapped up in all or nothing thinking. That I had to prepare all meals, all the time with all natural, all whole ingredients. And it started to get over whelming. Sometimes, in life when you are trying to balance a lot of things, you have to prioritize. And for me, sometime reading a second bedtime story to my son IS more important the cooking chicken for lunch the next day. When I do cook, I do enough to have left overs, but sometimes leftovers run out and it is just best to cut myself some slack and grab a frozen meal.

I have noticed that Healthy Choice seems to have stepped up their meals a notch. They seem to have decent ingredients. I ALWAYS add extra veggies. I buy those Zip 'n' Steam bags that Ziplock makes and toss veggies in that to steam in the microwave. (sometimes I buy pre cut/pre washed veggies to save on time, too, even though they are a bit more $!)

when you cook and freeze, what are your reheating suggestions? can you give some examples of things you cook and freeze? and how long do you hold on to them in the freezer??

sorry for all the questions, just never occured to me to do that and i think it's a really good idea, and definitely doable!!!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer I met with said they are fine to eat as long as you drink lots of water as the sodium will be washed out of your body - I eat them sometimes and do not worry about it since I drink 15-20 glasses of water a day.
  • Aeiro
    Aeiro Posts: 8
    Options
    Lean Cuisine is usually high in sodium when it comes to the meals that have sauce. Try buying sauceless meals instead if you're worried about sodium intake. LC provides good nutrients like iron and calcium and has no preservatives. Its also really easy to fit into your diet.

One Lean Cuisine a day eaten for Dinner is the best way to go. People usually eat larger portions for dinner because they feel like they've worked out and eaten healthy rest of the day, so a small pigging out is okay - and its not really. Eat one then brush your teeth so that you wont be tempted to eat more.
  • dentedcan
    dentedcan Posts: 29
    Options
    I use a lower calorie, moderate sodium Healthy Choice meal as the base of my dinner on weeknights. I usually add a 150 calorie baked chicken filet to bump up the protein. My daily sodium intake is always 1/3 under my daily goal. So if you can make it fit in your food planning, I don't see the issue.