Am I expecting too much?

Options
Hello all-

I started on the "No flour, no sugar" plan about March 30th. At that time I didn't have any bathroom scales and I hadn't found this website.
I "think" I weighed about 144-145 pounds at that time. Since I discovered this website I have been diligent about weighing & measuring my food and exercising 30 minutes a day.

This week I am stuck at exactly 142.0 pounds. My scales are digital so I know it hasn' even budged one-tenth of a pound. I always weight first thing in the morning.

I have been under my recommended calories every day. The last couple of days I changed my goal from 1200 to 1150 calories per day and changed to 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat (increased protein and decreased carbs). I can't eat all that protein, so I'm a little under on that, but I haven't gone over the fat and carb allowance.

20 years ago I lost about 10-15 lbs. on Weight Watchers (without exercise) and I don't remember having this hard a time losing. Is it because of my age (64)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't think your eating enough...
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have had better luck on higher fat and protien and lower carb...
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    You should not go below 1200 calories. Your body goes into starvation mode. Keep your body guessing - one day 1200, one day 1300, next day 1200, etc. Good luck!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Your age probably is a factor. Many women have more trouble losing weight as they age, especially post-menopause.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight? I would think that 142 is a good weight. I would love to be 142!
  • ryleyroo
    ryleyroo Posts: 5
    Options
    It may be your age; I've been stuck for about 2 weeks now at the same weight. But, I also think that you need to raise your calorie level.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight? I would think that 142 is a good weight. I would love to be 142!

How can you say that when you don't know her height, bone structure, body fat percentage or weight history? A "good weight" is relative.
  • michelehedges
    michelehedges Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking sugar as well? That was my problem and now that I'm paying attention to everything, I am having success. You might also try adding in other cardio like cleaning the house or gardening.
  • Jessika616
    Options
    When I was on weight watchers I lost easily as well. When I decided to look up for many calories I eat in a day on that diet instead of just points, MOST days I was over 1300 calories. So maybe you aren't eating enough.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't think your eating enough...

^^^this...and maybe lowering your carbs, if that is the route you so choose to go........ :flowerforyou:
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I have been under my recommended calories every day. The last couple of days I changed my goal from 1200 to 1150 calories per day and changed to 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat (increased protein and decreased carbs). I can't eat all that protein, so I'm a little under on that, but I haven't gone over the fat and carb allowance.

That's very high protein, and very low fat. Try swapping the fat and protein percentages. Or you can do 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein if you really need the extra protein. Your body does require some fat for fat-soluble vitamins, maintenance and repair, and helping you feel full longer. 30g/day likely isn't enough.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You're not expecting too much just not eating enough. I was on the "standard MFP 1200 calorie" plan for a while and I couldn't do it. I was STARVING all the time. And I wasn't losing anything. So I upped my calories and not only felt better but started losing weight too. Win/win! Good luck!!!! :drinker:
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello all-

I started on the "No flour, no sugar" plan about March 30th. At that time I didn't have any bathroom scales and I hadn't found this website.
    I "think" I weighed about 144-145 pounds at that time. Since I discovered this website I have been diligent about weighing & measuring my food and exercising 30 minutes a day.

This week I am stuck at exactly 142.0 pounds. My scales are digital so I know it hasn' even budged one-tenth of a pound. I always weight first thing in the morning.

20 years ago I lost about 10-15 lbs. on Weight Watchers (without exercise) and I don't remember having this hard a time losing. Is it because of my age (64)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you eating your calories you burn during exercise? Im with the others on here. I agree that your calorie intake is way too low.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I started on the "No flour, no sugar" plan about March 30th.
    May I ask why?
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have had better luck on higher fat and protien and lower carb...

She's right. You have to eat fat to burn fat. Just make sure you're picking healthy fats like nuts, olive oil, fish and avocado. You may want to include more exercise too and eat back the calories you burn.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    May I ask why?

Yeah ^ why for the love of pete why?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You've only be at this for two weeks - Give it six full weeks and see what kind of results you get before you try changing things or thinking it's not working.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you are not eating enough of your calories in protein and fats, too much in carbs and sometime not even enough calories for the day.
    The ratio of carbs vs fat vs protein that you take in a day is as important as overall caloric intake. Also, I would give yourself at least 6 weeks before you start worrying about if working or not.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    May I ask why?

Because she had sugar and flour on March 29th