What to do about my friends..

Options
So I have always been the biggest girl in my group of friends. Im just naturally curvy and have boobs and will never be a stick but I wasn't always as big as I am now. I have made this choice to lose weight and my family knows but I am having a hard time with my friends. They are all so healthy already and go out to eat and booze it up all the time!! I find myself staying home instead of going out because I dont think I would have much fun. My dearest friend knows that I am trying to eat healthy and we have a date on Tuesday just to watch movies and hang out. I asked her if we could eat a salad for dinner instead of a pizza or whatever and she said sure but she just texted me telling me that she made tirimisu for dessert!!! :noway: So I guess I just need some tips as to how to explain things to your friends and how to stay on track and still have fun. Thanks all.

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Eat some tiramisu but stop after one small serving, and bring some veggie snacks to share with her / eat yourself to avoid eating more tiramisu.
  • weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It seems like I hear about this alot. It is really hard, I know. You will run into people that do not see how "one" slice of cake will make a difference...but it can. Once I start on the popcorn I cant stop, so I just cant eat it.

If this is a good friend, ask her to support you and explain how much it means to you. Offer to bring the desert if that would make it easier. I have found sometimes I just need to grit my teeth and say "no thank you." :wink:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    the only thing i have found that works is to flat out tell your friends thanks, but you are trying to work on you, and that you are choosing not to eat unhealthy things, and that you would appreciate it if they could respect you enough to not offer stuff like that to you and to try and help you realize your goals. real friends will help, not hinder and will be thoughtful.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    O man that's rough. I've had similar problems with my friends family. I've started telling them fairly bluntly that I don't eat ____ anymore. Oh ya then I really don't eat it people will respect you for it. I spent a lot of time not going and hanging out in my first few months then once I was more comfortable with my new ways I started planning better for the times I did go out.
  • kimberjones
    Options
    If you really want some Tiramasu have some-just a small piece. If you remove everything you enjoy from your eating habits then you will end up being bitter about it and binge on it. Foods, in moderation , should be fine. The moderation is the hard part. Hang in there. Awesome job in asking her about salads and watching a movie. You'll be fine :) Enjoy the movie!:flowerforyou:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that she might be attempting to make a low cal version of tirimisu?

If not, print out a couple of recipes, give her one, and/or tell her you can make it together etc.

Explain the differences. Possibly this friend isn't aware of all the calories in the foods out there.
  • milwaukeelady23
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :happy: