Benefits of an Exercise Ball at your desk instead of a chair

Options
So I am contemplating this move just because it may be one more added benefit. Is it or am I being silly? I figure it may help with the core and balance....maybe even tone a bit? I mean anything is better than the way I slouch in my chair at work all day? Without a back to rest I would imagine it helps me to sit up too? Even if I did it for a few hours a day right? Does any one do this or know of anyone who does? Just curious if spending the $20 for a large one is worth it?

Replies

• dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My hisband had back problems and his doctor told him to use a ball when sitting at his desk.. You are right.. It strengthens your core.. Besides, it can't hurt!!!!!
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My hisband had back problems and his doctor told him to use a ball when sitting at his desk.. You are right.. It strengthens your core.. Besides, it can't hurt!!!!!

Thanks for that tid bit. It's good to know I may actually have guessed right for once lol.
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    I used to have one here at work. I loved it but HR made everyone who was using one get rid of them. I guess someone fell off theirs and got a boo-boo and filed work comp so now none of us can use them. I use it at home now.

I'd say go for it.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do that, but I'm guessing our HR dept would have something to say too. As an added bonus it would stop me crossing my legs all day
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Why not go the whole hog and get a space hopper

Much more fun!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I used to have one here at work. I loved it but HR made everyone who was using one get rid of them. I guess someone fell off theirs and got a boo-boo and filed work comp so now none of us can use them. I use it at home now.

I'd say go for it.

I wonder what they will do if someone falls out of their chair next. I guess all of you will be standing? lol
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I sit on one of those stability disk things (looks like a half flat ball). It definitely forces me to sit up a bit more but it's not going to roll away...

Also when I'm sore from a serious core workout I can very easily just toss it aside and have a normal chair again.

Downside is I've been asked more than once if it's a hemorrhoid cushion or some crap like that... eh I just laugh it off and explain what it's for and get an even bigger blank stare :ohwell:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That was the trend in our office for awhile but they've all gone back to their chairs. I've thought about doing it myself.