Why replace excercised calories?

Options
Just trying to understand why its recommended to "eat" or "replace" calories we have burned through exercise. If my plan gives me 1770 daily cals, then i burn 600 at the gym, would it not be better to stick with the 1770 or do i "need" to eat 2370?

Replies

• archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options
    From my understanding, MFP has already calculated your calorie deficit for you WITHOUT exercise. So, if you burn calories with exercise, you should eat more to ensure you are getting enough fuel for your body.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    wow, you are opening a can of worms here.

personally, I don't eat them back. My dr has me on a specific plan
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    From what I understand, MFP already has a deficit of 300 or so calories a day built in, so the weight should happen safely and without affecting your metabolism.

Not eating 'back' the calories means your body is portioning out a smaller amount of (caloric) energy between essential body funtions AND intense workouts, and it can make both suffer.

Edit: Though my husband (who was morbidly obese according to his BMI) didn't eat his back and lost 90lbs. But now I make him lol.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your 'net' should be at 1770 then....Because 1770 is already a BIG deficit to what you were eating before. You need to fuel your body to make your metabolism work.... Is the easiest way I can explain....

MFP has me set to 1200 if I burnt 400 calories a day, and didn't eat back most of that 400 - I would be an exhausted mess. I 'net' 1200 a day or there abouts...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a calorie target with a deficit factored in. In order to stick to this deficit, you "eat back exercise calories". If you don't, the deficit becomes larger. Depending on how much you have to lose, and how big the deficit, this may be ok, it may be neutral, or it may bad. For best results that will last a lifetime, set a target calorie deficit and stick to it.
  • apena_06
    apena_06 Posts: 50
    Options
    This actually confuses me too. If I'm trying to lose weight why would I need to eat back the calories I just busted my butt to burn? Thanks for this post, hopefully it helps it make sense to me too
  • louisianagirl65
    Options
    Yes, MFP has already calculated the deficit for you. For example, I am limited to 1200 calories per day to lose 2 lbs per week. If I exercise, it means my body needs more fuel to use throughout the day. I don't always replace the extra calories I burn but I know on the days that I exercise, I do need to eat more just to have the energy to make sure I can go to the gym the next time and have a good workout.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Do a forum search on this topic...its been asked over and over and people have provided detailed research on the subject...

Ultimately you need to do what works for you though, and its going to depend how much you're eating and how much you're working out too!
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a correct answer to this. "Just realize you probably did not get to your current weight overnight, so don't try to loose it all at once" is probably at least part of the thinking behind it. I think there is a min your body needs for healthy living, and if you exercise this number would go up.

Again, my opinion. I am not a trained healthcare professional, but I did watch ER once in a while :)
  • Caitella
    Caitella Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well if you eat your 1770 and exercise 600 then you'll only have netted 1170 (1770 - 600) which is too low for you, whereas if you eat 2430 and exercise 660 you'll have netted 1770

Hope I've explained that ok and hope it helps
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a correct answer to this. "Just realize you probably did not get to your current weight overnight, so don't try to loose it all at once" is probably at least part of the thinking behind it. I think there is a min your body needs for healthy living, and if you exercise this number would go up.

Again, my opinion. I am not a trained healthcare professional, but I did watch ER once in a while :)

Does Gray's Anatomy count towards my Doctoral knowledge too? lol
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you burn them, you need to eat them back. Many MPF scientists will tell you that you don't have to. The reason they say this is because they don't understand thermal dynamics.

If you love yourself...you will eat them back. :smile:

Gotta put fuel in the tank

Cheers
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine back but I allow for an error margin of around 200 cals, due to inaccurate readings on the gym machines and also nutrition labels (they are not spot on).

MFP has figured out your deficit already, which is why this site is so easy to use compared to others. Exercising is like putting money in the bank. You are allowed to eat a little bit more on the days you exercise. That is what motivates me to do it the most.

Don't over-think it, you will just get more confused! :smile:
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    See fat2fitradio.com . You CAN, perhaps, lose more initially by eating less, and not replacing your exercise calories, in the short run. However, some of that additional loss will come from muscle loss, in other words, after all the fat is burned that can be burned, your body will start to burn muscle. Muscle burns calories by just existing (it increases your metabolism). I was referred to a dietician after being diagnosed as a diabetic, and she is a registered nurse. She said that anything above 2-2.5 lbs per week, depending on how much you have to lose, is not healthy. In other words, it's possible, but it is probably not sustainable and could be detrimental to your health.

However, some on here refuse to accept this and do what you are mentioning and claim it works best for them. But I question how long they can sustain that, since most of the naysayers seem to have joined since January 2012.