Doctor Results--some really good and some confusing??

Options
I have a history of high cholesterol--runs in the family. I switched to a doctor by my house and went in today and she wanted to do a full workup since I was a new patient. she said that because of all my exercising--my cholesterol was Perfect!! yay!! but she id say that I had ketones and protein in my urine?? She had to send some of my blood off for my thyroid and kidney function tests. She said she would get the results by monday or tuesday. I am excited about the good results but wondering about the other???

Replies

• Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Ketones in the urine occurs most frequently under either starvation conditions or indicates diabetes. Without seeing your diary, it's difficult to speculate.

Edit: Didn't see the protein in the urine part. That's indicative of strenuous exercise, leading me to believe the ketones are because you're not eating enough.

The doctor will be able to tell you more.
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    she did check my blood sugar in office and that was fine. so no diabetes. as far as starvation--i have been following a 1200 calorie diet but ading in half of calories that i burn. ex today I burned 700 calories but only logged 350 so i wouldn't add back all 700. I think that is ok but I definately do not want my body hanging on to fat thinking i am starving!!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i have been following a 1200 calorie diet but ading in half of calories that i burn. ex today I burned 700 calories but only logged 350 so i wouldn't add back all 700.

Yep, this is the cause of both the protein and the ketones.

Personally, I would recommend eating a net caloric intake of at least your BMR. If you burn 700, you should probably be eating at least 2000 calories (assuming the calories are logged accurately). Your doctor will probably refer you to a nutritionist when the results come back.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I saw on Dr. Oz that adding those ketones into a shake will help burn fat.
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    well cool..thats easy enough to fix--eat more! I can do that! ;)
  • Johnnyutah45
    Johnnyutah45 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ketone bodies are three water-soluble compounds that are produced as by-products when fatty acids are broken down for energy in the liver and kidney. Two of the three are used as a source of energy in the heart and brain while the third is a waste product excreted from the body. In the brain, they are a vital source of energy during fasting.

Most people that burn a lot of fat will have ketones in their urine.
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    oh..one more question. Am I actually working against myself if while working out my heart rate gets pretty far out of my target heart rate??? My target heart rate is 130-167 and it went in to the 170s and even a little in the 180s today.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    oh..one more question. Am I actually working against myself if while working out my heart rate gets pretty far out of my target heart rate??? My target heart rate is 130-167 and it went in to the 170s and even a little in the 180s today.

I always aimed to get my HR into the 170s and 180s... So I'd say there's nothing wrong with that.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Ketones---can indicate you are using stored fat for energy...in the clinic/hospitals . When I see a patient with ketones in their urine..it could mean the pt is not drinking enough fluid/water...which could lead to dehydration (very uncommon in adults..more so in children)
    We usually encourage more intake of fluids especially if you exercising.

DONT pay attention to the post above stating it could mean you are a diabetic?? By the time you are in Ketoacidosis..you will be in the ER on an insulin drip!

In a nut shell--if you are exercising and dieting..its common to spill trace protein and ketones ..but MDs must cover themselves and do the appropriate f/u to be sure they are not missing anything.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    T1.5 Diabetic here
    ketosis = good, ketoacidosis = bad. Ketones showed up in my last regular pee test, and the only reason I could think of is that I had just come from the gym and hadn't had breakfast yet (cuz I was fasting for my blood work). Doc said not to come in right after gym on empty stomach again, lol. Don't sweat it, you're probably fine.
  • jessmars
    jessmars Posts: 131
    Options
    Ketones---can indicate you are using stored fat for energy...in the clinic/hospitals . When I see a patient with ketones in their urine..it could mean the pt is not drinking enough fluid/water...which could lead to dehydration (very uncommon in adults..more so in children)
    We usually encourage more intake of fluids especially if you exercising.

DONT pay attention to the post above stating it could mean you are a diabetic?? By the time you are in Ketoacidosis..you will be in the ER on an insulin drip!

In a nut shell--if you are exercising and dieting..its common to spill trace protein and ketones ..but MDs must cover themselves and do the appropriate f/u to be sure they are not missing anything.

what she said.....fever, pregnancy and hard exercise can cause protein in urine. Ketones are produced when fat is broken down to use as energy. It also can be from low carb & low sugar diets, starvations mode. I wouldn't stress too much. The doctor is just covering his/her behind because protein and ketones are not usually found in urine. PLus the results shouldn't take too long to find out.