Alright Ladies... Foods that help fight belly fat!

Options

Replies

• niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Stress hormones contribute to abdominal fat.

I'd suggest reducing those by limiting your consumption of fitness magazines, beauty magazines, and b.s. news websites so as to not end up worrying about something that doesn't actually matter.

Sure hold in your gut every once in a while. That's not a bad idea. But what reduces abdominal fat is the same thing that reduces fat stores anywhere: calorie deficit.

Eat good food that you like in moderation and move your body. Eat less than you burn, you're great. No need to stress yourself out with this silliness and make it harder on yourself.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I personally think modern day wheat is terrible for our belly. It is not the wheat from the days of "our daily bread" or even the wheat our great-grandmothers used. Today's wheat is so engineered that it barely resembles food. It is toxic to our bodies, or at least my body.

Someone earlier mentioned stress hormones deposit belly fat. This is true. And eating genetically-modified modern day wheat causes stress (micro-inflammation) on our bodies and thus the depositing of belly fat.

Mind you I am not talking about gluten intolerance ( celiacs) I am talking about fake food being harmful.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Stress hormones contribute to abdominal fat.

I'd suggest reducing those by limiting your consumption of fitness magazines, beauty magazines, and b.s. news websites so as to not end up worrying about something that doesn't actually matter.

Sure hold in your gut every once in a while. That's not a bad idea. But what reduces abdominal fat is the same thing that reduces fat stores anywhere: calorie deficit.

Eat good food that you like in moderation and move your body. Eat less than you burn, you're great. No need to stress yourself out with this silliness and make it harder on yourself.

This needs to be said a million times.
  • melissa7662
    melissa7662 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    :)
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmmm....... some good points and comments!BUMP
  • joceyofdoom
    joceyofdoom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    really... more of this??

tumblr_m1qibchTag1qezk6n.gif

Firefly gif = you are amazing.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    really... more of this??

I know.
    tumblr_m1nedffzrT1qezk6n.gif
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    really... more of this??

I know.
    tumblr_m1nedffzrT1qezk6n.gif

I second this.
  • TonnaJai
    TonnaJai Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Foods do not fight belly fat. Sorry. Any claims to the contrary are based on myth or mis-understanding. The media doesn't help :( Neither does Dr. Oz. They take good scientific articles and misrepresent them, misinterpret them, and claim that foods/supplements/whathaveyou have magical properties when really they don't. Most of them are good, healthy choices... but not magic at all. They don't do anything beyond supplying nutrients to your body.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    While the foods listed sound yummy, they have no special belly-shrinking powers. Neither does sucking in your gut a few times day. No need for all these rules and weird rituals. Just eat and exercise.

I love your new hair color, Glados!!! And your comment is right-on, of course :)
  • LabRat529
    Options
    While the foods listed sound yummy, they have no special belly-shrinking powers. Neither does sucking in your gut a few times day. No need for all these rules and weird rituals. Just eat and exercise.

Did you even read the article??? It was just a helpful list of facts and study results that aaahhheeemmm....help you lose fat and give the reasons why. Of course these things could be incorparated into a healthy diet and lifestyle. I read this article prior to it being posting and found it interesting. If it's not for you, why bother disagreeing with proven studies on some forum board cuz apparently what modern medicine and science says isn't is good as your opinion.

Thanks for sharing the article, worth the read.

Why bother disagreeing with "proven studies"? For several reasons:

1) Because the presentation of the studies by the media are simply wrong... and wrong information should be corrected. Example of 'wrong'? That bit about monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats are fabulous... but not because they are controlling insulin spikes. As far as I know, they don't do anything to insulin.

2) Because misrepresentations can actually harm a person's over-all well-being. I know a certain young lady who puts lemon in her water every morning because she believes it helps burn belly fat. Meanwhile, she lives off of bread and cheese. Not that bread and cheese are bad... but veggies are pretty important too. So is exercise. But she doesn't eat veggies and she doesn't exercise. Point is, she invests time in a pointless ritual thinking it will somehow save her. Meanwhile, she is eating a diet deficient in nutrients.

3) Because the notion that ONE study represents "proven" science is absurd. I live and breath science. There are good studies and bad studies, but "proven" doesn't happen until years and years worth of science has all added together to produce the truth. Even then, someone might come along and successfully challenge the dogma and you're back to square one.

As a scientist... I strongly advice you: please don't believe everything you read. If it sounds too good to be true, if it sounds like a quick fix... it's probably not true at all and while it might not hurt you, it's not gonna be the fix you are looking for.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SSS1991
    SSS1991 Posts: 9
    Options
    I actually found this helpful. True, some may not be true, but it was indeed an interesting read.
    I already drink green tea everyday, since I am half Japanese, my family drinks it everyday. So that's an easy one for me.
    I personally LOVE oatmeal so again, got that one checked off.
    Not a fan of eating Bananas on itself..it has to be with something. (I love Banana Bread, lol)
    Anyways..Thanks for sharing.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Did you even read the article??? It was just a helpful list of facts and study results that aaahhheeemmm....help you lose fat and give the reasons why. Of course these things could be incorparated into a healthy diet and lifestyle. I read this article prior to it being posting and found it interesting. If it's not for you, why bother disagreeing with proven studies on some forum board cuz apparently what modern medicine and science says isn't is good as your opinion.

1) Because the presentation of the studies by the media are simply wrong... and wrong information should be corrected. Example of 'wrong'? That bit about monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats are fabulous... but not because they are controlling insulin spikes. As far as I know, they don't do anything to insulin.

2) Because misrepresentations can actually harm a person's over-all well-being. I know a certain young lady who puts lemon in her water every morning because she believes it helps burn belly fat. Meanwhile, she lives off of bread and cheese. Not that bread and cheese are bad... but veggies are pretty important too. So is exercise. But she doesn't eat veggies and she doesn't exercise. Point is, she invests time in a pointless ritual thinking it will somehow save her. Meanwhile, she is eating a diet deficient in nutrients.

3) Because the notion that ONE study represents "proven" science is absurd. I live and breath science. There are good studies and bad studies, but "proven" doesn't happen until years and years worth of science has all added together to produce the truth. Even then, someone might come along and successfully challenge the dogma and you're back to square one.

As a scientist... I strongly advice you: please don't believe everything you read. If it sounds too good to be true, if it sounds like a quick fix... it's probably not true at all and while it might not hurt you, it's not gonna be the fix you are looking for.

Bekah, you are my favorite scientist. :love:
  • swthrtsmrf
    swthrtsmrf Posts: 384
    Options
    All the original poster wanted to do was share an article she thought to be helpful. She did not deserve to be tore a new one.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Bekah, you are my favorite scientist. :love:
    Hmmph! Can I at least be your favorite biochemist?