5 love languages...what's yours ?

Options
So..if you haven't heard of this book...it's by Gary Chapman and is incredibly interesting for married people or those in committed relationships.

Here's a snippet of the gist of the book...

"Many husbands and wives who had spent years struggling through marriages they thought were loveless discovered one or both spouses had long been showing love through messages that weren’t getting through. By recognizing their different love languages, they witnessed the rebirth of the love they thought had been gone for good."

So, what's your love language? Mine is quality time.

Words of Affirmation

Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

Quality Time

In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful.

Receiving Gifts

Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures.

Acts of Service

Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.

Physical Touch

This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Physical Touch! all the way. It took me a long time to accept it but my whole family are touchers. We don't hug or anything just touch a shoulder as we walk through the kitchen or grab a toe resting on the end of the couch. It wan't until college a guy I had known for 4 hours hugged me and I hadn't touched anyone other than a hand shake in like a month. It felt soooo nice.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Oh God. It's all of them! Lack of these are why OH and I are struggling right now.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    Totally Acts of Service. I also am partly Quality Time.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Words of Affirmation. I'm a very emotional person, and wear my heart on my sleeve. I need to hear nice things.
  • Stella_Leigh
    Stella_Leigh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Words of Affirmation AND Physical Touch
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    My primary is acts of service, my secondary is QT.

Hubby's primary is physical touch and secondary is QT.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Love your post, and love this book - I am words of affirmation, then physical touch, quality time, acts of service, gifts :) Thanks for posting.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I think a little of all of them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Mine are Words of Affirmation and Acts of Service.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Mine is words of affirmation first then quality time second. :flowerforyou:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Love your post, and love this book - I am words of affirmation, then physical touch, quality time, acts of service, gifts :) Thanks for posting.

you're welcome! :)
  • smileymel27
    smileymel27 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have this book, and I love it!

I'm physical touch, almost completely. I grossly outscore the other categories.
    Words of affirmation are a distant second, though.
  • ZaneNicole
    Options
    Physical touch n quality time for sure! My husband of 3yrs soooo doesn't get it! Uuugh
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Words of affirmation.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Words of Affirmation and then Physical Touch!
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I dont think mine is physical touch or words of affirmation because I get those all the time. But a thoughtful gift or card that says he knows what I like and was thinking about me really makes my day. It means the world to me that he puts the time into getting me something that he knows is important to me or would make me happy. I guess we are all just wired differently. Hence the 5 different languages ;)
  • MissArielLauren
    Options
    All of the above, but mainly acts of service and physical touch.. I think lol
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Receiving gifts.

followed by Words of Affirmation.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Mine is definitely acts of service. I think my husband would be words of affirmation. I really need to read that book...I am currently reading the Five Love Languages of Children though!
  • twiztid_princess
    Options
    Mine is physical touch... then quality time