What is your ultimate goal from your weight loss? And how lo

Options
I have a long road ahead of me, and my ultimate goal is to actually achieve and maintain my target weight by my 30th birthday, September next year.

Being that I have around 60-80kg (approx. 132-176lbs) to lose, I think that this weight loss in that time is extremely doable and healthy... also gives me plenty of time to learn how to maintain my target weight as well.

I have never known what it is like to be thin, because I have always been overweight/obese, even through my adolescence and early childhood. So I believe to actually feel what it is like to be thin and healthy for the first time in my life, would be the best birthday gift I could ever give myself.

This brings me to my question, mainly because I am interested in knowing what other peoples motivation is for making the choice to lose weight? Also what is your goal, and do you have a time limit you wish to achieve this goal?

Thanks guys. I look forward to reading yours, and gaining a little motivation and inspiration from you all =)

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I still have a long road ahead of me as well! We can all make it, as long as we keep trying! My motivation really came from within, like you I have never known what it's like to be thin. I made the same resolution this past new years as I do every year. To lose weight, and quit smoking. My last cigerette was feb. 2. And I'm on my way to completing the second part as well! My goal weight was 220 lbs, (still a big guy, but not huge. I'm 6'1) but my trainer and I have decided that 190 should be my goal. So 190 it is. 58 lbs away (I started with 96 lbs to go.) as far as time limit, I would like to make it there by the end of the year. my trainer thinks that it'll be more like oct/nov. but, that's just the first step! Good luck! You can do it! And feel free to add me if you'd like anyone, I don't have many friends on here yet
  • BecCutting
    Options
    I still have a long road ahead of me as well! We can all make it, as long as we keep trying! My motivation really came from within, like you I have never known what it's like to be thin. I made the same resolution this past new years as I do every year. To lose weight, and quit smoking. My last cigerette was feb. 2. And I'm on my way to completing the second part as well! My goal weight was 220 lbs, (still a big guy, but not huge. I'm 6'1) but my trainer and I have decided that 190 should be my goal. So 190 it is. 58 lbs away (I started with 96 lbs to go.) as far as time limit, I would like to make it there by the end of the year. my trainer thinks that it'll be more like oct/nov. but, that's just the first step! Good luck! You can do it! And feel free to add me if you'd like anyone, I don't have many friends on here yet

Congratulations for achieving that first big step of quitting smoking, and for also being well on your way to your goal weight.
    I am thankful that I didn't have any other addictions (other than food) I had to give up as well, so you are doing fabulously.
    And thanks I definitely will add you because it is always nice to be able to gain inspiration from other peoples posts.
    Good luck with the rest of your goal
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My motivation to lose weight was to allow myself to have children. I started losing at 174lbs in November 2010. My goal is to be 120lbs by September 2015, so a total of 54lbs to lose and I'm just over 20lbs through.
  • BecCutting
    Options
    My motivation to lose weight was to allow myself to have children. I started losing at 174lbs in November 2010. My goal is to be 120lbs by September 2015, so a total of 54lbs to lost and I'm just over 20lbs through.

That most definitely is a wonderful motivation
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    I have 25kilos to lose. My goal this time around is to educate myself about the foods im eating & the exercise im doing during my journey so that this time I can keep the weight off. I have set myself a goal of 1 kilo a week which makes my completion date October the 6th. My husband & I are going to start trying for kids at the end of the year and I want to be fit & strong so I can make healthy babies. Good luck to you all, I look forward to celebrating our successes together :)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have 30 kilos to lose first. I have been overweight ever since I hit puberty at 11 years old. I was bullied constantly in my teens because I was larger than the rest. I started my weight loss journey on the 2nd April 2012, after waking up and realising how disgusting I really was becoming. I ate junk food every meal and had huge portions. I aim to be 80 kilos by the end of November 2012. By my 21st birthday, October 6th 2013, I plan to be 70 - 75kg and maintain this weight for the rest of my life. This is my motivation. I am so excited to finally be doing something for myself and it feels great! By 2016 I plan to be a registered nurse helping women and babies!
    I have 25kilos to lose. My goal this time around is to educate myself about the foods im eating & the exercise im doing during my journey so that this time I can keep the weight off. I have set myself a goal of 1 kilo a week which makes my completion date October the 6th. My husband & I are going to start trying for kids at the end of the year and I want to be fit & strong so I can make healthy babies. Good luck to you all, I look forward to celebrating our successes together :)

Thats my birthday! Goodluck on your journey.
  • k900
    k900 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your goal.

I am 5'8 and my goal weight is 147-150. Right now i am 166 pounds. In middle school i was about 180 and eating out all the time and i never want to get that unhealthy again. I wear size 10 jeans now and my goal is to fit into a pair of size 8. I always have trouble sticking with eating healthy and exercising. I would like to be at my goal within two months. I know i could do it if i would just stick with it.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal when I started this thing was always to be at my goal weight by the time I graduated. That will be in 3 months time, and I have 16 pounds left to lose. I just hope that I can do it, or at least get as damn close as I possibly can.
  • caringforme
    Options
    My motivation is to loose 14 pounds to feel better, and help control my high blood pressure.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    my goal is my only goal,,,, i want my kids to have a dad they can be proud of in every way
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is 130-145lbs, the upper end of the healthy BMI range for my height, which means I have about 60-75lbs to go, so hopefully by Summer 2013 I'll be there :happy:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I didn't think weight loss was possible so I set my initial goal at 5lbs and was pleasantly surprised. I've been plateaued for a while now and that's ok, cos the 5 has turned into about 30 in 5lb increments. so I'm not sure I have a 'goal' in mind....if I lose 15 more that would be great, but I'm not beating myself up over it if I don't. I'm logging, watching....trying a little not to cheat.....but I'm pretty happy..
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is eight stone, and I've already gained and kept on three pounds so I think I'm doing well, but I know it could be better. I would love to be at that weight by the summer but I don't think it's going to happen:/ I'm just taking this slow as I know it'll mean I don't panic and relapse, so I guess when I get to that weight ultimately doesn't matter as long as I'm trying every single day:) Urm my motivation is my little sister, I want to encourage her and be a good role model for her. Looking after my body too. And also I want to be a mother one day. I've had two miscarriages and also given birth but because my body wasn't in a well enough state, my baby was really ill from it so I just want to be able to carry a healthy baby, that's all.
    Not trying to lose, but gain weight instead:)
  • Morgan01962
    Options
    My goal is to keep up with teens and my little ones. Living healthier as an example for them so they'll know that taking care of their bodies is important. Also secretly I wanted to eat and live better so that I could get off of my medications. Well as of Wednesday I am officially off my meds! Joy, joy ,joy! Anyway my last goal, lol well, you can see my profile info... Lol! feel free to add me as friend.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    In all honesty my goals are very superficial.

1. If you wanna be a Personal Trainer you gotta look like one
    2. To look good naked.
    3. To show all the ****ers who ever called me fat and ugly that I'm the complete opposite.
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wow...these post are incredible. Nobody is looking to become a supermodel...we're all just trying to live healthier lives, be there for our kids, and feel good about ourselves.

My ultimate goal is to get to my goal weight (I'm 5'4.5") of b/n 130-135 and in a healthy manner. I was there once before (about seven years ago) but it was done through binge dieting and not really putting into good practice the healthy choice needed, etc.

This is the first program where I actually can see results without being starving. I'm still astonished that it's been so manageable. I'm not restricted to a particular food list...I can have a turkey sandwhich with light mayo on wheat bread and not feel as though I'm cheating. In fact the whole feeling of being "bad" has completely gone away. I was desperately craving chocolate chip cookies the other day so I took three (and an 1/2 cup of skim milk), ate them, logged them, and enjoyed every.single.bite. I stayed within my daily calorie goal and still got in some exercise.

In the past something like that could have derailed me, but knowing that it's all about balance and portion control has really resonated with me. For the first time in a very long time I truly feel as though I can do this.

I'd like to be able to get up, grab an outfit and walk out the door feeling confident in how I look. That's all :)

Great post idea!!:flowerforyou:
  • FatNurseSlim
    Options
    My goal now is to get to a size that i feel comfortable & happy at. I used to love shopping and now i absoloutley hate it, i feel too big in shops, i feel like people are looking at me going through the sizes on a rail and thinking 'they probably wont have one of those big enough for her'', i hate trying things on and handing a gorgeus thin shop assistant a pile of clothes back saying 'no good sorry''..... I did this last year and lost 2 stone - but was obsessed with stones, pounds and numbers....this time i am focussing on how i feel, i hate looking in the mirror but i am making a conscious effort to look at myself and notice changes - like my waist is slimmer, and my thighs are more toned..

. My fiance and i are planning a romantic holiday in september so thats my time scale - i want to go away and not feel like we need to sit somewhere secluded because he might see the slim gorgeus girls around us and be disgusted at me in my bikini....i want to not be snappy with him because im feeling crappy about myself, i want to eat from the all inclusive buffet without thinking everyone is watching 'the fat girl piling her plate' im not going to focus on the weight in stones and pounds im going to focus on when an item of clothing fits great maybe in a size i never thought id hit - or i see a photo with my friends and like it etc and stop guilting myself for the odd slip up - and just make up for it with exercise !

xxxxxxxxxxx
  • mjvasko
    mjvasko Posts: 37
    Options
    I've been worried about a heart attack for some time... I'm not even 30 yet.

I hadn't really been able to chase my two small kids around.

That being said, I'm looking to lose 96 pounds - I started MFP after I'd lost two already, so my ticker says 94...

I started on the most random of dates, like Feb 7, and I'll go til I'm done, and probably long after.
  • BecCutting
    Options
    Oh wow... I wish each and everyone of you all the best of luck with reaching these goals you have set for yourselves. =)