Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    bananas?
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Okay... so in response to what I've been told so far....I'm going to do an experiment... in accordance to how much I workout & the fact that I rarely if ever eat back any of my exercise calories... I'm going to take 2 weeks starting Monday, eating back at least 75% or more of my exercise calories and start lifting heavier weights... see if it makes a big difference ( I hope so! ) So it looks like when I hit the store on Sunday I will be picking up more whole foods (switch back to my 80cal/slice bread, pick up nuts....)

Any other healthy food suggestions that I could add into my diet to help make up those exercise calories? (no whole milk though... it makes me sick to take a few sips of 2% haha!)

It'd be easier to suggest if diary was unlocked but nuts, dried fruit, avocado, salmon, hummus are some things that come to mind
  • purplep41n
    purplep41n Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I think of, is how are you going to keep this up when you start full time work? Its amazing you have so much time to do such interesting activities and you should definitely do it while you can :)

However I've always got the impression that if you do so much at one point that when you're body gets used to it, you'd need to take it further.

It is something that worries me as I started this by exercising 5 hours a week not inc walking. As soon as I start working longer hours, all I can do is walk. My fitness level stays about the same but any muscle I started to build has started to soften already.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay... so in response to what I've been told so far....I'm going to do an experiment... in accordance to how much I workout & the fact that I rarely if ever eat back any of my exercise calories... I'm going to take 2 weeks starting Monday, eating back at least 75% or more of my exercise calories and start lifting heavier weights... see if it makes a big difference ( I hope so! ) So it looks like when I hit the store on Sunday I will be picking up more whole foods (switch back to my 80cal/slice bread, pick up nuts....)

Any other healthy food suggestions that I could add into my diet to help make up those exercise calories? (no whole milk though... it makes me sick to take a few sips of 2% haha!)

You should try to give it up to 4 weeks - you should see an impact sooner, but any 'change up' to your diet may take up to about 4 weeks to 'settle in'.

Almond or soy milk would be good. And whey protein powder. Plus all the earlier suggestions.

Happy shopping!!
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I think of, is how are you going to keep this up when you start full time work? Its amazing you have so much time to do such interesting activities and you should definitely do it while you can :)

However I've always got the impression that if you do so much at one point that when you're body gets used to it, you'd need to take it further.

It is something that worries me as I started this by exercising 5 hours a week not inc walking. As soon as I start working longer hours, all I can do is walk. My fitness level stays about the same but any muscle I started to build has started to soften already.

I only work Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights (average 8.5hr shifts)... classes run Monday-Thursday... I do actually have tons of down time..

The great thing about the fitness classes through the university is no class is the same (I attend each class twice a week with the exception of ballroom dance... and I have band everyday) So I get in tons of variety... my weight lifting days are up to me but I try to switch it up... I don't hit the elliptical or treadmill during weight lifting class though because I will typically do cardio with my workout buddies and I own an elliptical so I focus on using the equipment when I can.

I won't be working full-time until I join the Navy though... mostly part-time work right now haha!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

OK. Can you do one thing for me though? On Sunday take photos. Take measurements. Because if you start eating more and lifting heavier weights you will more than likely see the scale go up. PLEASE don't freak out. This is normal. Give it a month and it will start to work. If you have photos and measurements you can use other methods to compare.

Regarding exercise calories, all other exercise plans assume a certain amount of exercise. So you pick a plan based on gym and organised exercise. MFP doesn't do that. It sets you up based on what you normally do during the day but doesn't include exercise. So any exercise is on top of that. Hence the need to eat back exercise calories.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

OK. Can you do one thing for me though? On Sunday take photos. Take measurements. Because if you start eating more and lifting heavier weights you will more than likely see the scale go up. PLEASE don't freak out. This is normal. Give it a month and it will start to work. If you have photos and measurements you can use other methods to compare.

Regarding exercise calories, all other exercise plans assume a certain amount of exercise. So you pick a plan based on gym and organised exercise. MFP doesn't do that. It sets you up based on what you normally do during the day but doesn't include exercise. So any exercise is on top of that. Hence the need to eat back exercise calories.

I had planned on taking new photos/new measurements and Sunday is usually my weigh-in day anyways... Someone mentioned earlier about taking the 4 weeks for my diet to adjust properly... The only adjusting that's really needed is me eating more... I eat healthy already, I just normally stuck to lower calorie versions of food and several small meals throughout the day... but I will give it a month and see how it goes... classes end in 6weeks so after that it'll be mostly at-home working out, occasional long walks/bike rides since I will be moving in with my mum till boot camp :smile:
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Okay, so with the new quarter (started March 27th,2012) I have drastically upped my fitness regime and I have a few questions!

I am 5'5"
    22 years old
    CW: 204.2lbs
    GW: 160lbs

Daily Calories: 1450

I am basically taking fitness classes through the college since I am done with my degrees but stuck here until my lease is up....Here is what am I doing as of right now:

Monday: Stretch & Strengthen with Fit Balls ( approx: 45minutes of medium- to high-intensity Calisthenics with little break between exercises); Ballroom Dance ( approx: 2hours of waltz & foxtrot); Playing my Baritone Saxophone ( approx: 1hour )

Tuesday & Thursday: Aquacises ( approx: 40-50minutes ); Ab/Glute Conditioning ( approx: 40-50minutes; We do a lot of high-intensity Calisthenics with short breaks ((about 1min)) between exercises); Weight Lifting ( approx: 45-60minutes ); Playing my Baritone Saxophone ( approx: 1-2hours )

Wednesday: Stretch & Strengthen with Fit Balls ( approx: 45minutes of medium- to high-intensity Calisthenics with little break between exercises); Playing my Baritone Saxophone ( approx: 3hours )

Friday-Sunday are my rest days... with only moderate to no-exercise.

When days are nice I will often walk to and from school (2miles round trip) and 1-3 times a week I will hit the gym with a few workout buddies and do light free weight lifting, fast walking/hard sprints around the indoor track.

**I very rarely if Ever eat back any of my exercise calories though... After my workouts I am rarely hungry even though I am pushing myself during them and taking the time between classes to do a lot of stretching, refueling and rehydrating myself... I allow myself one "cheat day" a week, whether I use it or not is up to me. I make sure to get in at least 7hours of sleep.. somedays I get up to 12hours of sleep (I work Graveyard shifts a few nights a week on top of school so I often sleep most of the weekends away)

I have been stuck on a plateau for almost 3 weeks and I was wondering what I should do? Do I need to force myself to eat back more of my exercise calories even though I have a hard time eating my base recommended 1450 calories a day?? I get in plenty of fruits and veggies everyday and my protein intake is rather high (especially on workout days) avg 85-130g. And 90% of the time I get in my daily 8 servings of water (sometimes more)... I don't drink soda and have coffee only rarely...

Feel free to add me! But any help would be appreciated!!

Just to say my workout routine, it looks like this:

Monday: swim a mile (50 min)
    Tuesday: run 5k, lift weights or do spin for 20 min
    Wednesday: swim a mile
    Thursday run 5 k, spin or weights
    Friday swim a mile
    Sat. Run 4 miles, spin or weights.
    Sunday off

Now I'm training for a tri at the end of the month, so my routine is a bit heavy, but my point in telling you is that as long as you fuel your body right, you don't have to worry. Last week was my first week on here, I only lost 1.6 lbs. this week, I have lost nothing at all. So, obviously, I'm giving my body enough to eat.

Just gotta hit that balance between food and exercise and sleep/rest.