I need to start excercising

Options
I'm about 50 lbs overweight and I'm totally out of shape. I keep telling myself I will start excercising tomorrow and I never do it. I need motivation, encouragement and guidance. Please help. What should I start out doing? Someone needs to kick me in the butt to get me started. I really think that once I get going I will be fine but I'm having a hard time getting over the first hurddle. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    Just do something small to start with, like go for a walk. Once you've mastered that then you can move to some other things, but the most important thing is to START!
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I started out with two things: walking and an excercise dvd. There is a wonderful track at our local high school that I use, and I started out doing 1 mile, and just kept adding to it until now I will do 3-4, and now I run some of it too!

As far as dvds to start out with, try the biggest loser dvds.

God bless! You can do this! :smile:
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would start off walking then go from there.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was like you. "where do i even start?" just get up and WALK. i'm telling you, it works. i walked for the first 6mo. of my weightloss challenge. once you accomplish simply walking, the sky is the limit... good luck to you!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I struggle with exercise too, still. I started out with just walking. It seems like just getting my shoes on is the hardest part because once I'm out there I love it. It's just getting started.

It's like kids and baths. They never want to take a bath but once they're in the tub they don't want to get out.

I have Zumba on the PlayStation which is SUPER fun. I tried the 30 Day Shred but it was hard and Jillian is mean and icky to look at and listen too for me. I also threw my back out after about 3 workouts of hers. But, I may try it again - now that I'm a bit lighter maybe the jumping jacks won't hurt as bad.

There's quite a few things on Netflix if you have it. I had never realized Netflix had Fitness stuff. I love the Pilates, it's great especially after a nice long walk. Relaxing, stretchy and it feels really good.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I started out slow when I was just starting. I did 20 minutes of Zumba and would watch a show while walking on my elliptical. As I felt myself getting stronger I started to push harder and have slowly since last November upped myself to more intense work outs. I also marked a calendar for 23 days and it really did become a habit that I love, enjoy and feel awful if I miss. I started out very slow due to 10 years of being over weight, multiple surgeries, many structure issues with my bones and I cracked my pelvic cup in a riding accident about 2 years ago. Due to the weight and all these issues daily I was in pain. I have actually found that now that I exercise and move none of my daily pain is there. Some days I have the after burn of a good work out but none of the daily pain that had become a part of life. Also feeling stronger and more vibrant and the energy perks are great. Start with a 30 minute walk, move up until you feel like you want to more intense work outs. I used to hate sweating now however if there is no burn I am annoyed! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  • MademoizelleL
    Options
    Hello Shambrocker, signing up for My Fitness Pal is already a good first step. I signed up yesterday and I'm already enjoying counting the fod I've been eating and logging the exercice I do. It's fun and you realize what you do in a day, or what you don't do enough :)
    If you don't like exercice, I'd advise joining a local club in order to meet other people - it's always better to train with motivated people around you! I don't think going straight from no sport to running 5K is ideal as you could easily give up... Why not start with some yoga lessons, or by swimming half an hour per week? It's a little start, but you'll soon feel more comfortable in your body and more confident too.
    Good luck!
    L.
  • yhughes01
    yhughes01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're watching TV and thinking about exercising - get up and move! Dance - walk around your living room - just start MOVING! If you have a dog make a chart that you have to check off when you walk the dog and set a goal for twice a day. Just a few minutes a day will make the difference for you and your pet! Hold yourself accountable! It is easier to put it off, but do it for you!
  • mjok31
    mjok31 Posts: 84
    Options
    I also would start off with walking. Walking is my main exercise that I do and I have lost 24lbs since Jan. 1st. So I know it is a great work out if you can put the time in. Once you get yourself on a routine it will feel great and you will look forward to doing it everyday :)
    Good Luck!!
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree. Start with small goals and work your way up. Dont look at the overall big picture. Go for a fast paced 20 minute walk and think about how smokin hot you are going to look if you keep it up! Gradually start challenging yourself to walk faster and longer, ect. Use this time for YOU and about what you want to accomplish. You are in control of your own mind so just do it!! Quit talking and just do it all ready!! :flowerforyou:
  • Rawrbyn
    Rawrbyn Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Walking. Seriously. It seems lame, but it works. Just start by walking around your neighborhood. Don't take a leisurely stroll. Walk like a dog is chasing you. It's okay if you're not walking a mile at first. Start with a few blocks, then build up. The key is to DO IT. It's super hard to find motivation sometimes. I know. I work midnights and am a single mother to a 4 year old. It's hard to find the time. Just remember, though, that if you don't get healthy now, then you won't HAVE the time later, when your body gives out. An hour every other day is nothing. It really does work. I promise. :) I started walking every morning in January, to kick start my weight loss again. I've lost 24lbs since Jan 23rd doing that.
    Joining a gym has also motivated me. I find that I can't wait to go after I get off work. The elliptical kicks my butt, but I feel great later. :)
  • flutternfly
    flutternfly Posts: 123
    Options
    I started walking. It's cheap, easy and you just need a pair of good shoes. Finding an accountability buddy is nice too (someone you'll feel guilty about letting down if you don't do it. I walk with one of mine). Start small with mini goals so you can feel successful.

I have been losing weight this time as I started a fitness competition and I was part of a team. Our competition finished 2 weeks ago but I've continued to practice what we learned.

Interval training has been a huge part of my success. I go to boot camp or do different interval workouts at my little work gym. I'm lifting weights, and not girly weights. I started with 10lbs and I'm at 40 lbs on some things in just 2 months. Building muscle really helps burn fat. My cousing saw me for Easter and asked if I'd lost 50lbs, not on the scale, but I know I've been building muscle and melting fat.

Some of the food things I learned during the competition are that I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein and fat. Also I now eat 6 mini meals. This helps keep me fueled and I don't have spikes. I can tell that it's been 3 hours because my body now tells me I'm hungry.

Most of the stuff I've been doing is in a book by Rachel Cosgrove "The Female Body Breakthrough". It has great sections on food and exercise and what really works with little inspirational stories and pictures of real people being successful.

Good luck!
  • Rawrbyn
    Rawrbyn Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree. Start with small goals and work your way up. Dont look at the overall big picture. Go for a fast paced 20 minute walk and think about how smokin hot you are going to look if you keep it up! Gradually start challenging yourself to walk faster and longer, ect. Use this time for YOU and about what you want to accomplish. You are in control of your own mind so just do it!! Quit talking and just do it all ready!! :flowerforyou:

:bigsmile: Right on! Whenever I'm walking and don't want to go any more, I just picture that I'm walking towards this amazing dress that I want to fit into. lol! It works!
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    agree with all the others...i started walking and built up to running using the C25K program and built up to 17km jogs..then lost focus and stopped and I have just started again..you guessed it..I walk everyday..even the days I plan to run and then feel too lazy I make myslef walk and most times end up running once im out there. its the simplest but most effective starting exercise
  • dgarcia0816
    Options
    I feel what you are saying, I have gained 25lbs in one year since I got married last April. My anniversary is on Monday the 16th, and I FEEL REALLY FAT!!! It's hard to get motivated but it's all in your head. Yes, its easier said than done, but how about I will tag team with you and we can start on Monday together and we can motivate each other. You can start by doing anything you want, but let's try to at least do something active at least 30 a day. If that means walking a mile a day, because I sure can't run one lol. But also there is this work out on youtube its call Be Fit in 90, and its 35 minutes a day. IT's really good I only got to day 5 then I lost focus. It's free, and it motivates you!!! What do you think?
  • rawheeler11
    rawheeler11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really dislike exercising so my compromise I have found is the Wiii fit. I do the Wii fit free step or free run-the wii remote tells you when you are done or how much time you have left & you can switch over and watch tv while you do your workout. I know I always watch tv every night & I feel like if I have time to watch tv then I really do have time to exercise & if I can do both at the same time-even better! And start out just doing it a few times a week & if you want to do more great--but at least some is better than none which is what I was doing to start-good luck!
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everyone already said walking. Call up a friend and see if they want to walk with you. I know if I have someone else who is waiting for me I tend to be a bit more motivated. Good Luck to you. Send me a friend request if you'd like!! Good Luck :)
  • dgarcia0816
    Options
    Wow congrats on the weight loss with 88 lbs!!!!!! so did you lose the pounds just by exercising and counting calories?
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a swimming pool, simply walk laps in the shallow end or in a lane if its a community pool with lap lanes.

This will do a number of things.

1. It will reduce the impact of pressure from walking as your body is somewhat buoyant and this will help you in getting accustomed to walking and reduce the stress on your body.

2. It will allow you to keep cool and refreshed as you walk.

3. Your body will experience the mild resistance all over as you move through the water. This helps exercise all your muscle groups efficiently while allowing you to move slowly and peacefully and not over exert yourself.

4. If you slip and fall, the worst thing that would happen is landing in a col, refreshing pile of water!

Seriously, though...people of every level of weight loss can get started in this manner and work up to different types of exercise once they allow their body to get acclimated to this gentle, effective exercise.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing first off. That makes exercise so much easier.

When I first started trying to exercise I dreaded it constantly. Then I found zumba and it was fun for me and didn't feel like a workout. Then gradually I started trying other exercises and finding I was enjoying them more as well.

Now that it's summer I'm excited about being outside and walking and running and biking with my kids.

The first few weeks will suck, not going to lie. But once you make a habit of it, and see positive changes you'll grow to enjoy it a lot more and look forward to it as being a break from the rest of your day.

PS. I know I have to hit the gym here this morning, I'm sore from lifting yesterday and would be SO much easier to stay home, but I know I'll feel fantastic when I'm done.